Dragon Bones (2003)

by Lisa See

Series: Red Princess (3)

When the body of an American archaeologist turns up in the Yangtze, Liu Hulan, an agent for the Chinese government, and her American husband, David Stark, investigate and find that the murder may be tied to a missing priceless artifact.

I put it down, bored. I picked it up again - and on p.116 here's the line that convinced me I had something better to do "She was too young and too beautiful to be taken so soon and so viciously." ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Chinese inspector Liu Hulan and her American husband, attorney David Stark, find their marriage on rocky ground after the death of their daughter. When Hulan is assigned to investigate suspicious deaths at an archaeological site near the construction of the controversial dam at Three Rivers Gorge, and David is assigned to investigate the possible theft of artifacts from the same site, it seems like a chance for the couple to spend some time together. But what is really going on at the site proves to be much more complicated than it appears--smuggling, religious cults, strange scientific discoveries--and David and Hulan find their lives as well as their marriage on the line.

This was an interesting mix of ancient Chinese culture, artifacts and myths, and current Chinese culture, government corruption, politics and cults. I didn’t always like the unnecessary risks Liu took while investigating. It was explained as part of her struggle with her culture’s idea about women but sometimes it just seemed like really bad decisions. The ending was not very believable. I thought this was an uneven story where I liked some parts of it but not others. ( )
  gaylebutz | Jul 22, 2018 |
Liu Hulan and her estranged husband David Stark are reunited in a case involving the smuggling of Chinese heritage assets from an archeological site on the Yangtze River.
Having just returned from a tour of China I was really interested in the locales of the story and the heritage of the Chinese people.
The story explains many of the traditions of the former emperors, the beliefs in symbolism and mythology.
I have not read any of Lisa See’s books but I was able to catch on to her past and her sense of alienation among Chinese investigators and witnesses. The case involves the embezzling of icons from a site on the river that will soon be flooded by the Three Gorges Dam and the ritualistic murder of a researcher and an antique dealer.
Good story. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Jun 11, 2018 |
Liu Hulan and her husband David are having marital troubles. She's on the police force in China nad he is an American lawyer. The Chinese governemnt sends them to an archaeological dig site in the three gorges area to investigate the death of an american student and the theft of artifacts from the site. This is the third book in a series featuring these characters but the book made snse even without having read the previous book. Interesting look in to Chinese society but a bit slow in places. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
thoroughly enjoyable international thriller novel. great history/cultural details. I thought the murder details were unnecessarily grisly. but it was definitely a great follow up to the other two books in the series. her plots are very inventive I think and as one writer wrote on the back "documentary social detail that reeks of freshly raked muck." All of her books are flawed and only borderline believable but they are so interesting I don't care. I like mysteries that teach me something I don't know and Lisa See's books definitely do this. ( )
1 vote sumariotter | Nov 2, 2011 |

Belongs to Series

For my sisters
Ariana and Clara
The man was dead by the time his body hit the swirling muddy waters of the Yangzi River just below the first of the Three Gorges.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,616,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible