Silence Fallen

by Patricia Briggs

Series: Mercy Thompson (10), World of the Marrok (24)

"A new hardcover in the acclaimed Mercy Thompson series--from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Fire Touched. Attacked and abducted in her home territory, Mercy finds herself in the clutches of the most powerful vampire in the world, taken as a weapon to use against alpha werewolf Adam and the ruler of the Tri-Cities vampires. In coyote form, Mercy escapes--only to find herself without money, without clothing, and alone in the heart of Europe... Unable to contact Adam and the rest of the pack, Mercy has allies to find and enemies to fight, and she needs to figure out which is which. Ancient powers stir, and Mercy must be her agile best to avoid causing a war between vampires and werewolves, and between werewolves and werewolves. And in the heart of the ancient city of Prague, old ghosts rise..."--… (more)

Audio April 2020: This is the first time I've listened to the audio for Silence Fallen. Lorelei King and George Newbern both did fabulous jobs. I love King's narration as for Newbern this was my first time with him and I liked the male voices he did. It was so much fun getting Adam's POV. I wish we had more Adam POV's in the series. I just love seeing his side of things. As always this series is a favorite and the audio had me sucked in. I highly recommend reading or listening.

This series needs to be read in order.

I love the Mercy Thompson series. I had a delightful time reading Silence Fallen that I devoured this book and probably would have finished it in one day if I didn’t have to sleep and be an Adult!

Silence Fallen takes us back to a time when Mercy was a one-women show. She still has all her allies, but all their power and might can’t help her when she’s over seas. And, so Mercy is forced to do what she does best. Survive.

Even with Mercy on her own we still get to see Hamptons point of view and few of the other characters as well. Honey, Stefan, Elizabeth, Marsilia and in addition we get to meet some new characters, like the European seethes and Vltava pack, plus a guest appearance from Matt Smith-keep an eye on him!

It was fun visiting Europe and meeting The Lord of the Night. Oh my! He’s scary! I also liked meeting a new wolf pack. We get to see that things run differently in Europe then they do in the States. I liked all the different interconnected plot threads and how they played out. I also enjoyed all the many different views, that make it all feel like the characters are working independently; however as things build to the finish line you see the bigger picture.

The last thing I’ll say about Silence Fallen is I liked how it expands upon Mercy’s Coyote lineage and her aptitude with the dead. She’s mostly ignored the Ghosts that have shown up, until now.

Silence Fallen was an impressive and magnificent read. I can’t wait to read it again, nor can I wait for the next installment.

Rated: 4 Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
For all that the timeline's been getting some detractors, I really liked how this was laid out and told. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
"I'm a mechanic, I fix things that are broken. I turn into a thirty-five pound coyote. I have powerful friends. But when it comes right down to it, my real superpower is chaos"
-Mercy Thompson Hauptman, while sitting in a cage, waiting

Oh my, Mercy has been kidnapped and dropped into unfamiliar territory. Just when she thought she had met all the scariest of powerful beings she wakes up....in Milan, in the clutches of the Lord of the Night himself. Great Mercy....now what are you going to do? Adam is in the US and can't reach you through the bond. Stefan too is going crazy trying to figure out where you are and why he can barely "feel" you. Heck even Marsilia is having a fit over your disappearance.

Now who else but Mercy could bring together werewolves, vampires, goblins, and one freakishly powerful witch. And they are all working together. To rescue her. Again.

I'm not one for giving spoilers (it's been done to me a time or two and ruined the experience of discovery for myself). I will point out what I liked.

Mercy "talks" to us at the beginning of each chapters. Just like tidbits and observations. It comes in handy seeing as her and Adam are separated and their POV's aren't told concurrently. It could be a little confusing if you weren't paying attention or re-reading it as I was reading it the first time to make sure I didn't miss anything. You know how PB likes to drop little hints here and there if you pay attention.

Mercy's action is primarily the front half of the book and Adam is the last half. Not a bad thing just used to them being more together in battle...both of wits and physical ones. We do learn a little more about her gifts that came along with her heritage. (Coyote really knows how to screw with folks....and from the sounds of it if her brother, Gary Laughingdog, had done his part way back when this might not have happened. )

We heard Marsilia and Stefan talk about the Master in Milan, Lord of the Night, Iacopa...now known as Jacob. He's bad, he's temperamental, and he has his own hidden agenda. Woulfe, damn you, you started the ball rolling this time, hope Adam is allowed to kick your ass a bit. But all is not well within his seethe; his witch went missing, his pet werewolf is going off the deep end, and he's addicted to her blood. Yup, welcome to the world of the screwed up boogeymen.

We meet Libor, Alpha of the Vltava Pack. He's been mentioned once or twice in passing before as being a badass and not a fan of Bran's. There is bad blood between them and no one is saying what happened just that it's legendary the feud between those two.

And of course, the being Mercy accidentally meets/releases/owns ...the Golem of Prague. Another boogeyman we had only heard whispers of but didn't really think could be real. Silly us.

I love the twists and turns. The way folks just take for granted that Mercy is going to get in trouble, get herself out of trouble and cause someone a migraine (or a pain three feet lower) for someone. I simply adore the fact that while Adam thinks it's his "job" to keep her safe, he let's her try and do for herself. As long as he can "feel" her through their bond he can remain calm enough not to go charging around just killing whomever gets in his way. I love that yes, Mercy can find herself "caught", at the wrong end of weapons, or in the clutches of bad guys but she thinks things through. She recalls information she's heard or been told directly in forms of stories, history or just simple conversation. She takes the time to analyze what she should do and if her inner Coyote whispers in her ear she'll follow instinct and act. She's never played the victim even though the others around her are bigger, stronger, faster, and have more magic; she just knows she's going to have a little more brain power to figure out how to even the playing field.

Where Mercy's adventures will take her from here, who knows. Especially since her reputation will now be known world wide.

***I won an ARC of this book and agreed to post an honest review in return***
  ChachaJ | Feb 1, 2021 |
Boring. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
this book was more enjoyable than most of the most recent ones, but the switching POV AND the tiny notes about said switching was so fucking annoying. TRUST YOUR READERS, GODDAMN ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peters, AnnContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, Daniel DosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

This wasn't the first time chocolate got me in trouble

I DIED FIRST, SO I MADE COOKIES.
'Poor little one,' he crooned, cupping my face. 'It was not my intention to hurt you.'

I really wasn't myself. I am generally very good about accommodating megalomaniacal egomaniacs and waiting until it was safe to torment them. I had grown up doing that. But my head hurt, and he was creeping me out.

'Epic failure,' I told him. 'I'll have you know that I expect my archenemies to be competent.' (chapter 1)

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,154,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible