King's Cage

by Victoria Aveyard

Series: Red Queen (3)

The #1 New York Times bestselling series! In this breathless third installment to Victoria Aveyard's #1 New York Times bestselling Red Queen series, rebellion is rising and allegiances will be tested on every side. Perfect for fans of George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. Mare Barrow is a prisoner, powerless without her lightning, tormented by her lethal mistakes. She lives at the mercy of a boy she once loved, a boy made of lies and betrayal. Now a king, Maven Calore continues weaving his dead mother's web in an attempt to maintain control over his country--and his prisoner. As Mare bears the weight of Silent Stone in the palace, her once-ragtag band of newbloods and Reds continue organizing, training, and expanding. They prepare for war, no longer able to linger in the shadows. And Cal, the exiled prince with his own claim on Mare's heart, will stop at nothing to bring her back. When blood turns on blood, and ability on ability, there may be no one left to put out the fire--leaving Norta as Mare knows it to burn all the way down. And don't miss Broken Throne: A Red Queen Collection, featuring three brand-new novellas and other exclusive content, coming in April!… (more)

This book was so much better than the second book in the series! Alternating viewpoints between Mare and Cameron was ok, but I wanted to understand Cal more especially in the beginning. I'm not seeing Cameron's overall significance in book 3, or why Aveyard chose this perspective, but maybe things will come together in the fourth book. ( )
  LREnglishTeach | Jan 3, 2022 |
  LREnglishTeach | Jan 3, 2022 |
I listened to the audio book of this and really enjoyed it. This had the feel of a connector book connecting Glass Sword to War Storm, but it was still really good. It picks up right where Glass Sword leaves off where Mare Barrow has been captured by Maven. The first half of the book essentially is her being held and used almost as a pet for Maven. One of the things that I really liked about this book that was different from the first 2 in the series is that it is told from multiple perspectives. In addition to Mare, we also get the perspective of Cameron who is another "newblood" and Evangeline who is a silver and who was once betrothed to Cal but is now betrothed to Maven. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
I finished this and started on the final instalment but it just lots it's spark for me. If anything, I think the first book was OK on its own. I'm sure plenty of people liked this series more than I did, and I did love the world building, just the writing slowed right down and got a little too repetitive for my liking. DNF'd #4 about 1/4 in. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
teen fiction (dystopia; royalty with superpowers clashing with revolutionaries) I guess it's been too long since I read 1 and 2? I pushed through to chapter 3 or so (page 23-25) but the story really wasn't picking up for me, and I wasn't compelled to put the effort into getting re-hooked (however long that might take). Would recommend either reading much sooner after first 2 books, or skipping entirely. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams. - HRC
I rise to my feet when he lets me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,000,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible