The Struggle by L. J. Smith

The Struggle (1991)

by L. J. Smith, Lisa J Smith

English (31)  Italian (1)  All languages (32)
This author has a gift when it comes to cliffhanger endings, that is for sure. This is the second installment in the series and the second cliffhanger.

As an observation, this is not a series of books that can be read out of order. Having not read them in order would leave a reader confused and missing too many pieces of the puzzle.

The mystery that is Damon just grows more and more as this story progresses. He has yet to display a single redeeming quality and so far I just really do not like him.

I am amazed at the differences in the abilities that the vampires have when comparing the book to the television show. The crow thing just gives me chills and almost makes me shiver every time I see a black bird.

There are a few editing mishaps one would not expect in a traditionally published book, but not so many as to make it unreadable.

Overall, this is another quick read and a page-turner. I cannot wait to see what is next for these characters. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Why, why, why am I still reading these? Sigh. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
As The Awakening ended on a cliffhanger I continued with The Struggle and boy did I struggle with it. Many a time I was thinking "No you stupid b*tch, what are you doing?" Elena is none too bright in this, it became fairly obvious that Damon wasn't as evil as she thought him to be but she carried on thinking he was, though biting her against her will wasn't exactly a nice thing for him to do. Her secrets and lies irritated me, she expected total honesty from Stefan but God forbid she return the sentiment.

Alaric as the new young teacher to replace the dead one was weird and came off as a bit of a paedophile.

Overall:
There just was too much teenage angst in this for me to even begin to enjoy the building suspense Smith tries to create. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
The writing in The Struggle is better than its predecessor, The Awakening - either that or I've just become more accustomed to L.J. Smith's style, but more on that later I think... I was easily drawn into the story in this novel, hungry (pun intended) to discover what had become of Elena, Stefan and Damon, as well as supporting cast, Bonnie, Meredith, and "mean girl" Caroline. I can't say that I particularly like the place they end up in The Struggle, but I'm willing to pick up the next book based on what I read (as well as Smith's slightly annoying habit of ending each story on a cliff-hanger the size of Pikes Peak.)

The Struggle is an easy read and one that is entertaining enough to read in one sitting. The build-up to the climax of the novel seemed at times interminable, with brief heart-stopping moments of drama between Elena and Damon forcing me to plod along seeking some kind of real action, any old action would do. As far as brain-candy goes, The Struggle is actually the perfect weekend/holiday read - not something that one would call particularly unforgettable, but all in all a diverting enough read. ( )
  susanbevans | Jul 1, 2014 |

L. J. Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Lisa Jmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my dear friend and sister, Judy. A special thanks to Anne Smith, Peggy Bokulic, Anne Marie Smith, and Laura Penny for information about Virginia, and to Jack and Sue Check for all their local lore.
"Damon!"

The official newsletter, published monthly. Publication ended with no. 93 (March 2003).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006102001X, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the terrifying story of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them: Damon: determined to make Elena his queen of darkness, he'd kill his own brother to possess her.Stefan: desperate for the power to destroy Damon, he succumbs to his thirst for human blood.Elena: irresistibly drawn to both brothers, her choice will decide their fate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

Profiles two vampire brothers--Damon, who is so determined to make Elena his queen of darkness that he would kill his brother to possess her, and Stefan, who desperately seeks the power to destroy Damon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,888,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible