The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly…

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (1992)

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Molly Leach (Designer), Lane Smith (Illustrator)

4,6082001,477 (4.21)44
    The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner (keristars)
    keristars: The Stinky Cheese Man and The Templeton Twins are very similar in tone and style - but one is a picture book and the other is a chapter book.

Hah, well this book is ridiculous! I do remember thinking it was so incredibly funny as a child. Sorta grim and bully-ish though coming back to it? It is incredibly clever. Scieszka and Smith broke the mold here and really the composition and illustrations are what make this book really memorable rather than what the text actually reads. Definitely have a big illustrator crush on Lane Smith. All his work has this edge of twisted-ness and mania. A little Dali like ... We could see this in Math Curse as well but I think his style in general has gotten more kid friendly. One drawback is I think the reader would have need to have read normal fairy tales first. Any book that relies on another can be a little weaker. ( )
  signecbaum | May 2, 2018 |
This book has classic tales of grims fairy tales. The stories are divided into sort of chapters and tell teh classic tales that we know from different peoples point of view. I did not care for the illustrations in this book, only becuase they were a bit scary and distracted my audience. ( )
  Rmendez11 | Apr 23, 2018 |
This book was a very funny book. It took old stories and fairytales and turned them into new stories that were funny.
  Rebecalynn | Apr 10, 2018 |
This book is a madcap revision of familiar fairy tales. It is a good example of a fantasy book because some of the stories are unrealistic and will not happen in reality. For example, the stinky cheese man is fantastic and a frog cannot talk. This book brings a lot of fun and laugh. Teachers can read it for 1-3 grade students. ( )
  lolatong | Feb 9, 2018 |
Read this book as a teen-ager, and it reacquainted me with fairy tales from my youth . So UN-Disney. In fact, probably most welcome because they were the first popular fractured fairy tales post-Disney since The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. I picked this out at the library today, and tried it out on the kids tonight. Happy to say, I can still tell this one with flair. They loved it. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |

Jon Scieszkaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leach, MollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our close, personal, special friend: (your name here)
--J.S. & L.S.
"I have found a kernel of wheat," said the Little Red Hen.
A long time ago, people used to tell magical stories of wonder and enchantment. Those stories were called Fairy Tales. Those stories are not in this book. The stories in this book are almost Fairy Tales.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067084487X, Hardcover)

If geese had graves, Mother Goose would be rolling in hers. The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales retells--and wreaks havoc on--the allegories we all thought we knew by heart. In these irreverent variations on well-known themes, the ugly duckling grows up to be an ugly duck, and the princess who kisses the frog wins only a mouthful of amphibian slime. The Stinky Cheese Man deconstructs not only the tradition of the fairy tale but also the entire notion of a book. Our naughty narrator, Jack, makes a mockery of the title page, the table of contents, and even the endpaper by shuffling, scoffing, and generally paying no mind to structure. Characters slide in and out of tales; Cinderella rebuffs Rumpelstiltskin, and the Giant at the top of the beanstalk snacks on the Little Red Hen. There are no lessons to be learned or morals to take to heart--just good, sarcastic fun that smart-alecks of all ages will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Madcap revisions of familiar fairy tales.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,094,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible