Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (1974)

by Shel Silverstein

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (gilberts)
    Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pre-eminent children's poets in their respective countries.

English (547)  German (1)  All languages (548)
Shel Silverstein's popular companion to "The Giving Tree." "Where the Sidewalk Ends" is full of fun, witty, thoughtful, and emotional poems offer readers a chance to enter the profound world of poetry when the sidewalk ends. ( )
  ShawnStipic | Jul 25, 2018 |
I remember having read this as a kid and the poems and illustrations were funny. Now reading it as an adult it's still fun. I'm surprised reading it now how many are actually educational or try to teach good manners as well as being funny. Others would probably not be published now in our hyper sensitive culture. Aimed for grade schoolers and would be good for them to read or for them to be read aloud. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Jul 19, 2018 |
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein is a humorous book of poems. I read this poetry book with my son, when he was in middle school. We laughed at the poems and some of the poems have drawings by Shel Silverstein. The drawings make the poems seem even more funny and nonsensical. This book is a great introduction to poetry for children in later years of elementary school and middle school.
  JoanEChasse | Jul 10, 2018 |
Came across this book going through my classroom library. My kids and I spent quite a while reading through the poems and laughing. I have always appreciated how silly, and nonsensical his poems can be. All kids can relate to his funny perspective and topics, which, in my opinion, makes his books a classic. As a resource, because of the humor, it is an easy way to engage students as they begin to learn about poetry. ( )
  iversonh | Jul 3, 2018 |
I'd wanted to reread this book since it was mentioned in [b:Inkdeath|2325825|Inkdeath (Inkworld, #3)|Cornelia Funke|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327341991s/2325825.jpg|3897683], though not by name. I grew up reading [a:Shel Silverstein|435477|Shel Silverstein|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1201029128p2/435477.jpg] as I'm sure many others have by now, and the illustrations stick in my memory as clearly as some of the poems. I still wonder about Ickle Me, Pickle Me, and Tickle Me too. The poems are so bizarre.

The rating is a bit biased, as for me I was transported to my childhood with the poetry and pictures. I can recall the basement library where I first heard some of the verses and the time we were meant to memorize a poem to recite it to the class. I can remember the cover of the book and how many hours I spent imagining just what the end of the world would look like, with the sidewalk jutting briefly over it.

As far as poetry goes? This is an amusing bit of verses that's pretty good, but not great. The illustrations can be likewise rated. As far as nostalgia goes? It's tops, for me. It's one of those books you'll love if you grow up with it and kind of struggle to understand fully if you didn't... ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

5 1927

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,133,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible