Since We Fell (2017)

by Dennis Lehane

After Rachel Childs, a former journalist, suffers an on-air mental breakdown, she lives as a virtual shut-in. In all other respects, however, she enjoys an ideal life with an ideal husband. Until a chance encounter on a rainy afternoon causes that ideal life to fray. As does Rachel's marriage. As does Rachel herself. Sucked into a conspiracy thick with deception, violence, and possibly madness, Rachel must find the strength within herself to conquer unimaginable fears and mind-altering truths.… (more)

English (61)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (63)
A slow boiling thriller. Rachel Childs is raised by her domineering mother, always waiting to discover the identity of her father, but her mother's sudden death leaves a gaping hole. She becomes a successful reporter until an on-air meltdown and an unhappy marriage, leads her to become a shut-in. Then, a relationship with the caring Brian Delacroix coaxes her out of her exile only to discover that Brian is not what she thought either. Lehane has done much better work than this, but he can still spin a yarn. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Yikes! You just feel the other shoe is going to drop throughout the whole book, and when it does you don't see it coming. And then it continues to drop and drop again and for the most part you haven't got a clue. Great writing. ( )
  SusanWallace | Jul 10, 2021 |
suspense fiction. This was the first time I'd read Dennis Lehane, though I'd seen the movie based on "The Drop" and had heard good things about Shutter Island (the book) and "Mystic River" (the movie based on his book). So I was expecting some interesting plot twists and was not disappointed. In addition to Lehane, if you are looking for more suspense fiction, I would recommend Nick Petrie (although his protagonist is more of your traditional macho male). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
My first Dennis Lehane; for sure not my last Dennis Lehane. I finished this book a week ago and am still thinking about it. Had a hard time picking up another book because I just wanted to ponder (and savor) this one a little longer. I can't think of many authors who are sharper, wittier, more engaging writers than Lehane. I had to open the dictionary a few times while reading it. 😬And that ending! I was 100% satisfied, which is a pretty rare event. 10 out of 10, recommend! ( )
  angelahaupt | Jun 15, 2021 |
This was just a very, very silly thriller that made absolutely no sense, at times it felt like I was reading three entirely separate books *sigh* the biggest let down for me was the terrible dialogue it just felt like one of those cheap romantic/thriller films (I was reading a review where someone likened the last half to a terrible Katherine Heigl film and I couldn't agree more). Incredibly disappointing is this really the same author who gave us 'Shutter Island'??? ( )
  MandaTheStrange | Oct 7, 2020 |

Dennis Lehaneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of David Wickham, a prince of Providence and a real cool cat.
On a Tuesday in May, in her thirty-fifth year, Rachel shot her husband dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,283,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible