We Are All in the Dumps with Jack and Guy:…

We Are All in the Dumps with Jack and Guy: Two Nursery Rhymes with…

by Maurice Sendak

I would loved to have had a note from the author at the back of this odd book. ( )
  melodyreads | Mar 12, 2018 |
We Are All in the Dumps with Jack and Guy: Two Nursery Rhymes with Pictures by Maurice Sendak. I chose this book for its illustrations by the great Maurice Sendak and they are wonderful. But so is the story. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Jun 25, 2017 |
Dark, strange, heavy book from Sendak showing the horrors of homelessness. Probably not a book to keep lying around a classroom, but it's a good book to read with your kids just to see what kinds of questions it elicits from them.
  mikeswanson | May 10, 2017 |
This book is hard to explain from my point of view. It is about poverty, magic, and rats. Kids who do not have a home, that are actually homeless. Kittens/cats are being taken away. The child is placed where Guy finds him and he brings him up "like other folk do".

I personally did not relate well with this book. It was very confusing and dry. I understand the meaning, orphanage and such, but I feel as though it shouldn't be a juvenile book. It is definitely not for pre-school aged children.

I could not get into any classroom ideas with this book. ( )
  charli87 | Jul 20, 2015 |
This was a very strange but interesting book to read. The illustrations were very dark and disturbing, and were very contradictory to the nursery rhyme that accompanied the illustrations. Even though it is a picture book, I don't know if younger students would like it. The characters were not very well developed but it didn't really matter; you felt sympathetic for the child who was kidnapped and wanted them all to succeed. I found it really interesting how not much was said about what was happening in the story, so much was left to inferences based on the illustrations. If I had to pick a main message behind this story, I would say the author was attempting to highlight the importance of teamwork and friendship, especially in homeless situations. ( )
  ehopki7 | Apr 21, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062050141, Hardcover)

We are all in the dumps
For diamonds are thumps
The kittens are gone to St. Paul's!
The baby is bit
The moon's in a fit
And the houses are built
Without walls

Jack and Guy
Went out in the Rye
And they found a little boy
With one black eye
Come says Jack let's knock
Him on the head
No says Guy
Let's buy him some bread
You buy one loaf
And I'll buy two
And we'll bring him up
As other folk do

Two traditional rhymes from Mother Goose, ingeniously joined and interpreted by Maurice Sendak.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:11 -0400)

Joins together two traditional nursery rhymes with illustrations depicting the plight and eventual triumph of orphaned and homeless children. With a benevolent moon as their guardian, Jack and Guy make their way out of the dumps, rescue a poor little kid with a black eye, and bring him home to triumph. In this, as in all his greatest books, Sendak speaks for children everywhere. They will recognize that what matters to him also matters, intensely, to them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,078,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible