We Are Okay by Nina LaCour

We Are Okay

by Nina LaCour

This book is about grief and loss, both by death and separation.
Marin doesn't remember her mother. She lives with her grandfather but their lives are separate for the most part. After his death, she's all alone and has no one. Everything she thought she knew was a lie. She put distance between herself and her best friend Mabel and withdraws completely.
I wanted to like it. I did love the writing style which is why I gave it a 2. It just didn't work for me. I was waiting for a huge explosion that never came and I actually was a little bored. I was glad it was a quick read. ( )
  maggie1961 | Mar 13, 2017 |
I'm going to be completely honest, I initially picked up this book because of the badass cover. It's intriguing, I had to know what it was about. I discovered a quick read (like 2 hours only) about a young girl who flees her old life in California to start anew at a college in New York. Told in alternating timelines (the past summer and the current Christmas break); Marin struggles as her estranged best friend flies out to see her for three days. They haven't spoken since Marin fled California and questions need to be answered, relationships discussed. There is good suspense as the reader tries to figure out what actually happened to Marin and wonder as to what she's going to do with her life. This book also explores themes of homosexuality, art, independence, and family. All around a quick, good read. ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 8, 2017 |
Note: This review is from the uncorrected proof. Spoilers will not be included (sigh of relief).

Summary: The novel follows the tale of a young woman, Marin, who has moved from tragedy in California to the promise of a re-boot in New York. The story details grief, love, friendship, and learning to accept and embrace transformation in a time of tragedy. Marin's best friend, Mabel, acts as a source of healing and accountability, while catalyzing the necessary healing that Marin seeks throughout the story.

Personal reaction: For anyone who has gone through separations in their own family (Which I have), this novel will have a unique ability to encourage you to reach out to those who need healing in your own family; perhaps even acting as a cathartic experience of your own. This novel strongly moved me to consider my own past, and the many ways in which I can reconcile previous hurts.

Classroom extension: I would encourage my students to write letters to those who they may have hurt. If they wished, the could send the letters anonymously to the respective recipients. ( )
  Ali.Simon | Dec 12, 2016 |

From the award-winning author of Hold Still comes an achingly beautiful novel about grief and the enduring power of friendship.

"You go through life thinking there’s so much you need. . . . Until you leave with only your phone, your wallet, and a picture of your mother."

Marin hasn’t spoken to anyone from her old life since the day she left everything behind. No one knows the truth about those final weeks. Not even her best friend Mabel. But even thousands of miles away from the California coast, at college in New York, Marin still feels the pull of the life and tragedy she’s tried to outrun. Now, months later, alone in an emptied dorm for winter break, Marin waits. Mabel is coming to visit and Marin will be forced to face everything that’s been left unsaid and finally confront the loneliness that has made a home in her heart.

An intimate whisper that packs an indelible punch, We Are Okay is Nina LaCour at her finest. This gorgeously crafted and achingly honest portrayal of grief will leave you urgent to reach across any distance to reconnect with the people you love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 24 Oct 2016 10:43:45 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,296,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible