We Are Okay by Nina LaCour

We Are Okay

by Nina LaCour

ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/05/08/my-year-in-reading-cassie-las-april-2017-wrap-up/

My first book by Nina LaCour, We Are Okay was the perfect story to get me out of my post ACOMAF reading slump. An intimate and honest look at grief, We Are Okay bounces between Marin’s life pre and post-tragedy, and the family who is desperately trying to make her feel whole again. Get your hankies out, because this slice of life contemporary novel will give you all the feels. ( )
  yrchmonger | May 8, 2017 |
Ms. LaCour can pack a lot into three days, which is the time span of her latest novel, We Are Okay. (By the way, it only took me two days to read, it’s that engrossing.) Mabel’s mother died when she was young and she lived with her grandfather, each having their own bedroom and sharing the common space of the kitchen, living room and dining room. Respecting each other’s privacy, neither ventured into the inner sanctum of the other.

But one summer day after high school graduation, Gramps doesn’t answer when Marin comes home. Busy with summer fun and new girlfriend, Mabel, Marin has pretty much ignored Gramps, minimizing his failing health. Fearing the worst, Marin enters her grandfather’s bedroom, which actually consists of a sitting room and adjoining room and discovers something she never thought existed and which changed her opinion of Gramps forever.

The police are called and a shaken Marin is taken to the police station but rather than go home with Mabel’s parents (who are almost like a second set of parents) she slips out the back door and boards a bus from California to upstate New York and college with nothing but the shirt on her back, her cell phone and her debit card, even though school doesn’t start for two weeks. She ignores Mabel’s frantic texts for weeks before they dwindle into non-existence.

However, Mabel hasn’t given up and visits Marin at school for three days over Christmas break, which is where the story unfolds.

Through the action of the present and flashbacks to the previous summer, readers understand the torture that these two young women underwent, the loss of a grandparent, the loss of a friend. But it also reinforces the concept of family which is not just biological commonality. Mabel and Marin are endearing characters. You like them immediately. Their pain is understandable. The awkwardness of their reunion is palpable.

We Are Okay is both happy and sad and wonderful. And should you like it, don’t forget Everything Leads to You and Hold Still. ( )
  EdGoldberg | May 4, 2017 |
Add this to your TBR. Tissues needed for the last few chapters. An endearing ending. I did not know anything about this book, other than the description inside the book's sleeve. I found this as I browsed my local library and am very pleased that I did. I may end up buying a copy to keep and pass on. This is one to be shared! ( )
  LisMB | Apr 9, 2017 |
I love Nina Lacour so much. She writes characters who are imperfect and fragile in their own ways and dance around each other in such clever ways. Marin has moved to college after suffering a loss and her best friend Mabel has been trying to reach out to her. Now it's Christmas break and Mabel is flying out to see Marin and get some answers. ( )
  Brainannex | Apr 3, 2017 |
This book is about grief and loss, both by death and separation.
Marin doesn't remember her mother. She lives with her grandfather but their lives are separate for the most part. After his death, she's all alone and has no one. Everything she thought she knew was a lie. She put distance between herself and her best friend Mabel and withdraws completely.
I wanted to like it. I did love the writing style which is why I gave it a 2. It just didn't work for me. I was waiting for a huge explosion that never came and I actually was a little bored. I was glad it was a quick read. ( )
  maggie1961 | Mar 13, 2017 |

From the award-winning author of Hold Still comes an achingly beautiful novel about grief and the enduring power of friendship.

"You go through life thinking there’s so much you need. . . . Until you leave with only your phone, your wallet, and a picture of your mother."

Marin hasn’t spoken to anyone from her old life since the day she left everything behind. No one knows the truth about those final weeks. Not even her best friend Mabel. But even thousands of miles away from the California coast, at college in New York, Marin still feels the pull of the life and tragedy she’s tried to outrun. Now, months later, alone in an emptied dorm for winter break, Marin waits. Mabel is coming to visit and Marin will be forced to face everything that’s been left unsaid and finally confront the loneliness that has made a home in her heart.

An intimate whisper that packs an indelible punch, We Are Okay is Nina LaCour at her finest. This gorgeously crafted and achingly honest portrayal of grief will leave you urgent to reach across any distance to reconnect with the people you love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 24 Oct 2016 10:43:45 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,410,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible