Rupture by Ragnar Jónasson

English (11)  French (1)  All languages (12)
I've given the other books I this series four stars, but this barely garnered a three. Why? Yes, I still love the atmosphere, the darkness, the coldness, so pervasive. Such an enclosing air. Yes, I also still like Ari Thor, though I this one he shares star billing with Isrun, a journalist who has her own issues. My problem was with the many different stories, threads, happening at the same time, made it hard to concentrate on any one. Broke up the narrative with the constant changing of focus. There were also a few subplots that were resolved with nary a blink. One, the quarantine, I couldn't even feel like it was a necessary inclusion, it served imo, little purpose.

I did like the past story that was being looked into, and that brought my rating up to a three. Mostly though, I felt this was too rushed and too many items were put into the pot. Didn't stir up well. ( )
  Beamis12 | Mar 10, 2019 |
With Siglufjörður in quarantine, Ari Thór has time on his hands to investigate a cold case from the nearby fjord of Hedinsfjörður. The fjord is uninhabited now, but in the 1950s two couples attempted to farm there. They left after one of the women died mysteriously. She herself said, before she died, that it was an accidental poisoning; others believe it could have been suicide. But could it actually have been murder? Meanwhile, in Reykjavík, a mysterious stranger stalks a family — but why?

This was my favourite book in the Dark Iceland series so far. The cold case and the modern-day stories intertwined in a most satisfying manner, and both cases held my interest equally. Things are also moving along well for Ari Thór personally, which is good news. Looking forward to the next book! ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 16, 2019 |
"Rupture," by Ragnar Jónasson, translated capably from the Icelandic by Quentin Bates, has a multi-faceted plot. The author follows the fortunes of Róbert who, although he is living happily with his girlfriend, Sunna, is plagued by terrifying nightmares. In addition, Hédinn is a fifty-four-year-old man who has unanswered questions about events that occurred more than half a century earlier, around the time of his birth. He asks Ari Thór Arason, a police officer based in Siglufjörour, to find out what led to the tragic death of a member of Hédinn's family. Because there is a quarantine in force thanks to an infectious disease that has taken several lives, Ari Thór's schedule is light, and he agrees to help Hédinn.

Two additional inquiries involve a hit and run and the abduction of a small child. Ari Thór is assisted by Ísrún, a talented television news reporter based in Reykavík. She is a responsible journalist but can be relentless when she gets wind of a juicy story. Ísrún's hard work and Ari Thór's tireless digging eventually bear fruit. In Jónasson's unforgiving world, transgressions have a way of coming come back to haunt people who believe that they have escaped justice. Initially, we are faced with so many narrative threads that it difficult to keep them straight in our minds. Gradually, however, patterns emerge, and we begin to realize that seemingly unrelated incidents are somehow connected.

Reading the books in this series out of order (for some reason, they are not released chronologically) can be bewildering, but it is possible to enjoy this novel as a stand-alone. Ísrún, whom we have seen before, is a bright and ambitious professional who has a serious problem that she tries to ignore but, if it worsens, could derail her career. Ari Thór can be impulsive and volatile at times, but he is on his best behavior here, with one glaring exception. He proudly reveals a theory to Hédinn that throws the poor man for a loop. Is it ethical to inflict an emotional wound on a blameless individual that might haunt him for the rest of his life? "Rupture" is a fitting title that can apply to fractured relationships; frayed moral values; and the cracks that appear in a person, family, or society because of actions fueled by greed, a thirst for power, arrogance, and the failure to shoulder responsibility for one's misdeeds. This is a suspenseful, splendidly descriptive, atmospheric, and evocative work of fiction by a consummate storyteller. Ragnar Jónasson proves once again that he is a master of Icelandic noir.
  booklover915 | Feb 5, 2019 |
I love how Ragnar Jónasson puts a story together. Perhaps it has something to do with those fourteen Agatha Christie novels he translated into Icelandic, but I think it has even more to do with his natural talent as a writer.

The characters in this Dark Iceland series are moving right along. Ari Thór and his lady love Kristín seem to be growing up, but that is going to be tested in the future due to the actions of Ari Thór's superior officer. Speaking of superiors, Ísrún still has someone in the newsroom who would love to force her to quit, but she's having an easier time of it because she's learned a few tricks in how to deal with the situation.

Both mysteries-- the one in northern Iceland and the one in Reykjavik-- are strong stories. Ari Thór's is more deeply rooted in the past and is hampered by the fact that many of the people concerned are dead. Even more maddening are the people who want the past to remain in the past. For me, the mystery in Reykjavik affected me more. Emil's and Róbert's lives both changed when Emil's partner was attacked and left for dead. Two years later, the young woman finally dies. Emil's life is completely shattered while Róbert's has taken a dramatic turn for the better. As their story unfolds, Jónasson has us feel empathy for both men-- something that's not easy to do-- and the book is the stronger for it. After all, life is seldom simple.

As always, the weather and landscape of Iceland play a part in Rupture. Few authors are as talented as Jónasson in creating atmosphere. Combine that with strong, believable characters and a multi-layered story filled with unanswered questions and deep emotions, and you've got another winner from someone who has quickly become one of my favorite writers. I cannot recommend his books highly enough. ( )
  cathyskye | Feb 1, 2019 |
Intrigue stalks!

All seems tangential and disconnected but as the threads are teased out in Rupture small strands lead to larger surmises.
Isolated incidents seem just that:
A long dead woman, presumably a suicide, living by a remote fjord of Hedinsfjorour.
A photo surfacing showing an unknown youth with the dead woman and the others living there
A hit and run accident
A kidnapped child
What might they or might they not have in common?
Ari Thór has time on his hands when Siglufjorour is quarantined due to a deadly virus outbreak. A request to look into a 1955 suicide gives Ari something to do, an investigation that catches his interest and his imagination.
Reporter Ísrún from Reykjavik is juggling the thought of a serious illness, her parents separation and now three newsworthy items drop into her Investigative journalist's lap.
When Ari and Ísrún connect to pursue their threads, things become interesting.
Rupture, a fitting title as lives are indeed ruptured when facts and conjecture unfold, reminding us of the old adage of "six degrees of separation".
Chronologically taking place before Nightblind, Rupture fills in the gaps of Ari and Kristin's relationship.
Again a brooding, atmospheric piece of writing from Jonasson.

A St. Martins Press ARC via NetGalley ( )
  eyes.2c | Jan 27, 2019 |

1955. Two young couples move to the uninhabited, isolated fjord of Hedinsfjorour. Their stay ends abruptly when one of the women meets her death in mysterious circumstances. The case is never solved. Fifty years later an old photograph comes to light, and it becomes clear that the couples may not have been alone on the fjord after all..… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,371,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible