Ella Sarah Gets Dressed by Margaret…

Ella Sarah Gets Dressed (2003)

by Margaret Chodos-Irvine

This book would be fantastic for the first day of school in a first grade classroom. It's about a little girl who just wants to wear the crazy outfit that she has picked out, and her family is trying to talk her out of it. I have never met a first grader that couldn't relate to that. Also, it could be used in a counting lesson. How many articles of clothing is Ella Sarah putting on? How many times does she say that that's exactly what she wants to wear? This book would be easy to ask questions about as you read aloud, and you could ask students for predictions about what Ella Sarah is going to say when her family tells her she should wear something else. ( )
  AmandaJH | Feb 9, 2016 |
In this picture book, in which a young girl wants to dress how she wants, Irvine does a good job illustrating the girl’s sassy attitude in her simple drawings. After Ella makes up her mind about what she wants to wear one morning, she is met with much opposition by her family. Irvine shows this in the pictures with Ella’s mother, father, and sister all holding up different outfits in order to change Ella’s mind. For some reason, Irvine chose not to draw her family members’ heads, which I found odd. Bright colors filled some of the pages, while a lot of white space filled others. After each attempt to change Ella’s mind, you could see how her anger progresses in the pictures. First, Irvine draws her holding her cat with a sad look on her face. Then she is drawn raising her fist and stomping, as if she is throwing a fit. The final straw is when she throws her cat. In this picture, Irvine only drew a picture of Ella’s hand and the cat flying through the air. I thought this accurately captured the sassy attitude of the young girl who just wanted to dress herself. Facial expressions were not even needed in this picture to illustrate the attitude. Finally, Irvine paints a picture of Ella showing off her “pink polka dot pants, dress with orange and green flowers, purple and blue striped socks, yellow shoes, and red hat.” A simple line on her face showed her happiness as she modeled her outfit in the mirror. Then, as Ella sits among her friends, she clearly fits in with her unique style. Irvine shows this by painting them with outfits as wild as Ella’s. This story will bring you back to your childhood days when you first started dressing yourself. It is perfect for young children, as they can easily relate to this story. ( )
  srmorgan | Jan 30, 2016 |
This story really made me think back to when I was a young girl. I would always want to dress myself without any help from my mom or older sisters. I didn’t care if the clothes matched or even went with what the weather was, I was determined to wear what I wanted. To others, what Ella Sarah wanted to wear was silly and too dressy but it’s what made her feel like herself. Her pink polka-dot pants, dress with orange and green flowers, purple and blue striped socks, yellow shoes and big red hat is what made her feel just right. Ella Sarah has her own way of doing things and she is proud of it. The pictures in the book are so colorful and simple enough to tell the story; not too much going on to distract the reader. The pictures are nice and big and will definitely catch the attention from a child in kindergarten through second grade. ( )
  lcrosby | Jan 27, 2016 |
Ella Sarah is a little girl with a creative and headstrong attitude. She knows what she wants to wear and she doesn't want to be helped. As her parents and her sister offer suggestions for another outfit, Ella Sarah says "NO!" and repeats her outfit. Ella Sarah puts on her outfit she chose and greets her friends at the door who are all dressed similarly. They all have tea and enjoy each others company. This book contains illustrations that were probably made on the computer. In other books I have read, you can tell the illustrator hand drew the pictures, but not in this book. The reader never sees Ella Sarah's parents or sisters faces. We only see Ella Sarah and her friends. I noticed that Ella Sarah's cat is on each page until Ella Sarah changes into her outfit and her friends come over. The last page of the book is a picture of her cat dressed up. I thought this was fun to include and younger readers would definitely enjoy seeing the cat. ( )
  mamontgomery | Jan 25, 2016 |
Ella Sarah wants to dress the way she wants to dress but her family wants her to dress the way they do.

AGes 6-8
  chris44615 | Nov 30, 2015 |
For my own Ella Sarah -- M.C.-I.

Ella Sarah may be little, but she has a BIG sense of style—and it shows in her very colorful favorite outfit. Her mom, dad, and sister want her to dress just like them, but when her flamboyantly dressed friends arrive, it’s clear that Ella Sarah’s sense of style is just right.

Annotation
Despite the advice of others in her family, Ella Sarah persists in wearing the striking and unusual outfit of her own choosing.

Ella Sarah may be little, but she has a BIG sense of style--and it isn't at all like that of her mother, father, and older sister. Yet they all want her to dress just like them! Ella Sarah will have none of it--and when her flamboyantly dressed friends arrive, it's clear that Ella Sarah's favorite outfit is just right for her. Written and illustrated by Margaret Chodos-Irvine, this spirited, Caldecott Honor-winning story
will gently nudge young children toward independence--providing plenty of exuberant colors and patterns to identify along the way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,193,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible