Ella Sarah Gets Dressed by Margaret…

Ella Sarah Gets Dressed (2003)

by Margaret Chodos-Irvine

64611514,945 ()2

How to get dressed the way you want and be yourself and express who you are.
  mvasquez7943 | Feb 17, 2015 |
Ella Sarah is a creative, strong willed girl who demands freedom in choosing her clothing. Her family tries to change her mind but she wears what she wants but in the end her style is not as original as she had hoped.
  jillianrose | Feb 11, 2015 |
Sarah gets up in the morning and wants to get dressed by herself. Her mom tries to get her to wear something use. At the end Sarah wears her outfit and her friend showed up wearing the same outfit.
  CindiH | Feb 7, 2015 |
Summary
Ella Sarah is an independent young lady who knows exactly what she would like to wear. She has planned a tea party with her friends, but her family would like her to dress a bit more conservatively. In the end her friends come over and are all dressed fancy.

Personal Reaction
I have my own little Ella Sarah at home. My Maddie has her own style and is quite confident in her fashion choices! She would love this story!

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom, we could create paper dolls with popsicle sticks and wallpaper samples. We might even have a contest to see who could create the faciest outfit!
2. We could have a tea party and practice good table manners as well.
3. We could have a special day to wear your favorite outfit then have a fashion show.
  StephanieWhite | Jan 15, 2015 |
Ella Sarah Gets Dressed is a delightful book about an independent young girl who is steadfastly determined to express her own style. To her family's dismay, she has chosen a unique combination of clothing. However, Ella Sarah is not swayed by their suggestions. She insists that she has picked the perfect outfit. In the end, being herself is exactly the best person she can be.

Personal Reflection: I remember the days of allowing my children to pick their own clothing. Their choices were always very interesting. Encouraging creativity and independence in children is important, and this book demonstrates that very well.

Extension Ideas:
1. Allow children to play dress up and conduct a "fashion show" so children can show off their unique styles.
2. Talk with children about standing firm for what they believe is right. Have them share a time when they were stubborn.
3. Talk with children about having a positive self image and not conforming to meet the expectations of others. Cut articles of clothing from different types/colors of material. Have children glue the articles of clothing to picture of boy or girl. ( )
  jn925584 | Jan 9, 2015 |
For my own Ella Sarah -- M.C.-I.

Ella Sarah may be little, but she has a BIG sense of style—and it shows in her very colorful favorite outfit. Her mom, dad, and sister want her to dress just like them, but when her flamboyantly dressed friends arrive, it’s clear that Ella Sarah’s sense of style is just right.

Annotation
Despite the advice of others in her family, Ella Sarah persists in wearing the striking and unusual outfit of her own choosing.

Ella Sarah may be little, but she has a BIG sense of style--and it isn't at all like that of her mother, father, and older sister. Yet they all want her to dress just like them! Ella Sarah will have none of it--and when her flamboyantly dressed friends arrive, it's clear that Ella Sarah's favorite outfit is just right for her. Written and illustrated by Margaret Chodos-Irvine, this spirited, Caldecott Honor-winning story
will gently nudge young children toward independence--providing plenty of exuberant colors and patterns to identify along the way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:03 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,678,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible