Ella Sarah Gets Dressed by Margaret…

Ella Sarah Gets Dressed (2003)

by Margaret Chodos-Irvine

Ella Sarah wakes up one morning and wants to wear something insane. A complete out of the box outfit that her parents had to disagree on. Each family member offers her more tone down garments to wear but she refuses. She wears what she wants and was happier for doing so. The setting is her home, our main character is defiant. The theme is to be your own person and be comfortable. Really quick and easy story to read. ( )
  maturne2 | Sep 14, 2016 |
I'm not sure why, but this book won a Caldecott award for it's illustrations. This book is great for a very young audience. It's about young children wanting that freedom to wear what they want. I think maybe instead of the book's reason being to teach the children a lesson but maybe to teach the parents. The girl did not want to wear what her family wanted her to and in the end, her friends like what she is wearing. It's all about if the child is happy, comfortable, and appropriate. The pictures are interesting and have colors that aren't typically used. This book does a good job at expressing individuality in a colorful way. ( )
  imasson | Aug 31, 2016 |
Despite all of the advice from her family to wear clothes like them, Ella Sarah wears the unusual and outrageous outfit she picked out herself.
  SerenityShaw | Jun 6, 2016 |
My review of this book is that it will open kids eyes and thoughts to have their own ideas and dress however they want. Parents have authority over their kids but I think it is extremely important for a kid to grow into themselves and see who they are whether it is the clothes they choose for themselves or other decisions they make throughout the day. The main idea of this book is for kids to see that they can express themselves freely no matter what anyone else thinks. ( )
  CGirodo | Mar 24, 2016 |
Summary:
This book is about a little girl named Ella Sarah. She is very independent and wants to dress herself. After her parents try to persuade her into wearing something else she protests and insists on wear what she has picked out. Her parents try to tell her that she is over dressed but once her party guest arrive she is dressed for the occasion.

Personal Reflection:
I have my own child like this at home. She loves to pick out her own clothes and dress herself. She is developing her own sense of style and her own independence. Sometimes she doesn't always match and sometimes I have to make her change but I love that she isn't afraid to stand out and enjoy her crazy style.

Classroom Extensions:
1. I would have the student draw a picture of what they thing would be a wild and crazy outfit.
2. I would encourage my students to be bold and stand out and to not be afraid to be different.
3. This would be a good time for a lesson over independence and how it is ok to do things own your own instead of always relying on someone else to do thing for you.
  AshleyTaylor1 | Mar 23, 2016 |
For my own Ella Sarah -- M.C.-I.

Ella Sarah may be little, but she has a BIG sense of style—and it shows in her very colorful favorite outfit. Her mom, dad, and sister want her to dress just like them, but when her flamboyantly dressed friends arrive, it’s clear that Ella Sarah’s sense of style is just right.

Annotation
Despite the advice of others in her family, Ella Sarah persists in wearing the striking and unusual outfit of her own choosing.

Ella Sarah may be little, but she has a BIG sense of style--and it isn't at all like that of her mother, father, and older sister. Yet they all want her to dress just like them! Ella Sarah will have none of it--and when her flamboyantly dressed friends arrive, it's clear that Ella Sarah's favorite outfit is just right for her. Written and illustrated by Margaret Chodos-Irvine, this spirited, Caldecott Honor-winning story
will gently nudge young children toward independence--providing plenty of exuberant colors and patterns to identify along the way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,262,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible