Black (2004)

by Ted Dekker

Series: Circle series (1)

Enter an adrenaline-laced epic where dreams and reality collide. Fleeing his assailants through deserted alleyways, Thomas Hunter narrowly escapes to the roof of a building. Then a silent bullet from the night clips his head...and his world goes black. From the blackness comes an amazing reality of another world-a world where evil is contained. A world where Thomas Hunter is in love with a beautiful woman. Then he remembers the dream of the chase as he reaches to touch the blood on his head. Where does the dream end and reality begin? Every time he falls asleep in one world, he awakes in the other-both facing catastrophic disaster. Thomas is being pushed beyond his limits...even beyond the limits of space and time. Black is an incredible story of evil and rescue, betrayal and love, pursuit and death, and a terrorist's threat unlike anything the human race has ever known. Some say the world hangs in the balance of every choice we make. Now the fate of two worlds hangs in the balance of one man's choice.… (more)

English (39)  German (1)  All languages (40)
meh ( )
  morrowje | May 8, 2020 |
Well, half of it is sort of post-apocalyptic. The other half is present day.

Interesting concept. I'm still not sure how it all ties together. Most of the questions that the book leaves you with are not answered by the end...my niece assures me they are answered by the end of the 4 book series, however.

It started out a little disjointed and hard to get into for me. And, by the end of the book I am only just now starting to get attached to any of the characters.

There are not even thinly veiled religious overtones and much of the "Fantasy" post-apocalyptic side of the story is obviously based on a premillennialist theory of end times...new heaven and literal new Earth kind of thing.

Still, I have a feeling I'm going to get more and more attached as it moves along.

Writing/editing wise, I've no complaints. That's refreshing.

Solid three stars. It would have been more, but for the slow/jumbled start and not getting very attached to the characters. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 11, 2019 |
So I decided to Reread this series as audiobooks 7/28/16
I really enjoyed this book. It's fast paced and starts fast so it was a little hard to get into the habit of the flipping back and forth. But I did enjoy it ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Quite a mash-up of mystery story, science fiction, and fantasy !!! Not my cup-of-tea. I couldn't get through it. ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Oct 15, 2018 |
This is the illustrated graphic novel of the first book in the Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker. It introduces us to Thomas Hunter, a man who becomes trapped between two realities that keep switching on him. Every time he falls asleep, he wakes up in the other. One world is modern day America while the other is a fantasy reality.

I read this to fulfill a graphic novel challenge and to be honest, it's not really my cup of tea. I see that the trilogy has gotten great reviews so I recommend anyone who has an interest read them for themselves. I'm sure they are really good but I'm giving it the most generous score I can, given I am not a fan of the genre. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |

Dekker, Tedprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamont, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Räsänen, OiliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Please do not combine the main work with the graphic novel adaptation of the work. Thank you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,670,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible