dismiss

Can't Hardly Breathe

by Gena Showalter

Series: The Original Heartbreakers (4)

667295,136 (4)None
New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter returns with an irresistible Original Heartbreakers story about a woman who's never felt desired and the man who wants her more than air to breathe... Bullied in high school, Dorothea Mathis's past is full of memories she'd rather forget. But there's one she can't seem to shake--her long-standing crush on former army ranger Daniel Porter. Now that the sexy bad boy has started using her inn as his personal playground, she should kick him out...but his every heated glance makes her want to join him instead. Daniel returned to Strawberry Valley, Oklahoma, to care for his ailing father and burn off a little steam with no strings attached. Though he craves the curvy Dorothea night and day, he's as marred by his past as she is by hers. The more he desires her, the more he fears losing her. But every sizzling encounter leaves him desperate for more, and soon Daniel must make a choice: take a chance on love or walk away forever.… (more)

Quickie review...
OMG. LOVED IT! The characters, the story line, the flirtiness, the comradery, the effort nine yards were amazing, awesome fun! True, Daniel could be a total arse, but underneath it all he was a TKO, and we're not just talking looks. Dorothea was an amazing leading lady, who broke the mold on what some consider the cookie cutter type, but it was done without turning the whole story into a book about THAT (way to go author!). Their friends, family, and exes were just as stimulating, memorable, and noteworthy... when not getting into fights, carrying grudges, or passing judgment, they left their own marks on our heart that won't be easy to erase.

Definite must read for adult Contemporary Romance fans... and for every girl that was looked over in HS, kicking butt and taking numbers today. 😊 ( )
  GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |
Dorothea has crushed on Daniel since he told her she was perfect just the way she was in high school. But she's has years of people undermining her self esteem and personal tragedy that has kept her single. Daniel suffers from PTSD and goes through women to help keep the nightmares at bay, using her inn. After he turns down her offer of a one night stand, he turns an about face spending most of the story trying to get her back. Ok read, but her instant nail polish changes kept pulling me out story immersion.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Can't Hardly Breathe (The Original Heartbreakers) by Gena Showalter
For all the survivors of spiteful bullies and heartbreakingly cruel jokes.  To every person with a beautiful heart, but a tortured soul. For every hero in disguise looking for salvation.  Ms. Showalter wrote Can't Hardly Breathe for you.  Dorothea is the girl that longed to fit in, but never quite managed to do so.  Daniel is the boy that is beautiful both inside and out, yet has never felt good enough.  Gena Showalter is good at stirring up emotion.  It's inspirational tales of courage like this one that keep her name on people's lips and her stories in their hearts. Ugliness is a state of mind, not a physical trait.   ( )
  Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
Can’t Hardly Breathe is book four in The Original Heartbreakers series. This book made me smile, swoon, laugh, and cry. It’s a story of getting that chance with your high school crush later on in life. I adore this series and was so happy to get Dorothea and Daniel’s story.

I really enjoyed the prologue. We are taken back to high school where we see bullying, dreams, and crushes. Both Dorothea and Daniel captured my heart. I was totally enthralled with Can’t Hardly Breathe. I was amazed at how well Showalter brought the characters insecurities to the for front and how they learned to trust and deal with their issues. I liked how she shined light on bullying and how much it affects people throughout their lives. Then their’s the PTSD storyline with Daniel and how that can affect people too. I was enchanted by this couple and how they came together and ended up relaying on each other. The dogs where a delight, an added bonus and it was great how they helped Daniel realize he needed support. The friendships in this series have been phenomenal. I just cherish how Daniel and his friends plus Dorothea and her friends come together to help make things right.

Showalter brought out the best and worst in her characters. She surrounded them with friends who are loyal. She wrote sensual and tasteful sex scenes that sizzle of the pages. Can’t Hardly Breathe is a lovely story of romance, love, forgiveness, and trust.

Audio: Narrator Savannah Richards has such a soothing and alluring voice. I’m captured from the moment I listen until the very end. Her rendition of the story brings everything out and makes it all that much more real. I highly recommend the audio version for The Original Heartbreakers series.

Rated: 4 Stars

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
:) ( )
  Janicemo | Feb 25, 2018 |

Showalter, GenaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Richards, SavannahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,919,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible