The Hate U Give

by Angie Thomas

Series: THUG (1)

"Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed. Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr. But what Starr does or does not say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life"--… (more)

English (365)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (372)
I listened to the audio book for this. This book was so well written and so relevant to the world we are living in now. This book is about a girl who witnesses her friend (who did nothing wrong) being killed by a police officer after being pulled over. I don't know if this book was based on actual events or not, but I definitely recall hearing all of these same kind of horrors being talked about on the news and everywhere else. It is just so sad that this is the world we are living in. I teared up a couple of times while listening to this and I really felt this girl's fear and anger and that is because it was well written and because the person narrating did an excellent job of portraying the emotions. I do have 1 negative comment however about the narrator. She did fine with all of these voices except the white girl in the story. I personally was a little bit offended by the voice she made for the white girl. She made her sound like an airhead valley girl. Granted, I am sure that some may actually sound like that, but most don't. That's really the only negative thing I have to say about this book. I loved it, and I feel that it is something that really needed to be written. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
It's so good, so real, so sad. We can't know what it's like to be black. But the book gives us a taste. Teenager Starr has to cope with so much at a young age--witnessing deaths of her friends, trying to fit in both in the prep high school she attends and her black neighborhood, dating a white boy, standing up to prejudice, understanding gang life, and so much more. I am reminded not to judge people by the questionable actions they may perform. There can't be a "happy" ending today; this is the world we live in (unfortunately!) But there is hope. ( )
  cherybear | Sep 6, 2021 |
I will be in the minority giving this book less than a 4 star review. It is good, timely, and deals with current burning issues. However I felt it was piggybacking or riding on the coat-tails of these well-documented and contentious issues. It missed my heart and soul in its effort to be timely and polarizing.

Starr witnessed the death of her childhood friend, who was wrongfully shot by a white cop during a routine roadblock check. The story is of her struggle to come to terms with the event then to stand witness in a grand jury trial to rule on the event from the viewpoint of the cop (whether it was self defense or murder). Starr personally struggles to defend her dead friend's right to be seen as a young man whose life was cut shot instead of a suspected criminal who deserved to die. While grappling with these issues we get a glimpse to life in the projects and the challenges for an African American to adapt in White schools and neighborhoods. Starr has a white boyfriend whose character highlights the flip-side of this image.

I enjoyed the book but I felt that it dealt with all issues with broad brushstrokes that are perhaps appropriate to the YA genre, but it failed to speak to the soul. I was moved more by Poet X which used words and images to better effect (not an issue of a dead teenager) to highlight the minority struggles. And for a deeper and more heartfelt reading there is Between the World and Me. ( )
  moukayedr | Sep 5, 2021 |
Raised in a poverty-stricken slum, a 16-year-old girl named Starr now attends a suburban prep school. After she witnesses a police officer shoot her unarmed best friend, she's torn between her two very different worlds as she tries to speak her truth. (source: TMDb)
  aptrvideo | Sep 3, 2021 |
This has got to be one of the easiest five-star ratings I've ever given. Like, absolutely no need to debate it whatsoever.

Let's get this out of the way: I am an upper middle-class 55-year-old white male. None of what is portrayed in this story technically has anything to do with me. And god knows, I cannot even begin to fathom what it must be like to be someone who is constantly looked at with fear and suspicion for no cause other than the colour of their skin.

But if nothing brings home how unbalanced the scales are when it comes to some of a quote-unquote different race, or colour, or religion, or sexuality, or anything that strays from the White Heterosexual Christian Norm, this book does.

Angie Thomas could flat out retire from writing now—I truly hope she doesn't, but she could—knowing she handed the world something exceedingly rare and exceedingly special: a story that is entertaining, but with a message handled so deftly that often you don't even know you were given an education until pages or chapters later.

Honestly, I cannot count how many times this story made me tear up—and I'm dead serious here. While at work today, I had time at lunch to finish this book, but waited until later, because I was sure Thomas would get me again—but also how often she had me laughing out loud at one of Star's observations of the world and the people around her.

Thomas' dialogue is a wonder to behold. And her weaving of the various worlds that Starr travels through is brilliant.

This is not just a great book. This, right here, is something special, and you should pay attention, because books like this don't come along very often, so they should be treasured as the singular things they are when they do. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
Shot and killed right from the start really was an attention grabber in this book. Angie Thomas wrote a relatable book, especially for this time in our world involving Black Lives Matter, police brutality, implicit bias, and white privilege. I loved how this topic was touched upon because, for some, these matters need to be acknowledged more in this world in order for change.
This book took place in the hood and expressed the difference between the black and white communities. The main character Starr Carter lived two lives; there was one life in the neighborhood of garden heights and then the Starr who attends a prestigious, private white prep school across town. I fell in love with this book and felt excitement every time I picked it up, which says a lot because reading has not always been my favorite thing. I felt like I knew this family and everything they were feeling because the details describing everything were so strong. I watched the main character, Starr, break down just about every moment, I felt like I knew each and everything she was feeling. I also really enjoyed the characters in this story because it was very clear they were all very connected and were there for each other. The relationship between the kids and Starrs parents was unreal, and I treasured how supportive and caring they were.
This book definitely was a little intense with some of the events that occurred, but I do believe it was important because it was necessary for the story line and the problems they faced. Although I really did enjoy this book, I felt that the storyline was the same, meaning similar things continuously happened and events were almost predictable. I would recommend this book 1000% for anyone over the age of 13 because it can get a little intense with the words chose for some scenes. Lastly, I would definitely recommend this to someone who has a lot of interest in these problems going on around the world or enjoys reading about how people persevere through problems.
added by kaileemccabe | editLibraryThing.com, Kailee McCabe (Nov 30, 2020)

The first-person narrative is simply beautiful to read, and I felt I was observing the story unfold in 3D as the characters grew flesh and bones inside my mind. The Hate U Give is an outstanding debut novel and says more about the contemporary black experience in America than any book I have read for years, whether fiction or non-fiction. It's a stark reminder that, instead of seeking enemies at its international airports, America should open its eyes and look within if it's really serious about keeping all its citizens safe.
added by Cynfelyn | editThe Guardian, Alex Wheatle (Apr 8, 2017)

Thomas’s debut novel offers an incisive and engrossing perspective of the life of a black teenage girl as Starr’s two worlds converge over questions of police brutality, justice, and activism.
added by g33kgrrl | editThe Atlantic, Anna Diamond (Mar 28, 2017)

The story, with so many issues addressed, can feel overwhelming at times, but then again, so can the life of an African American teen. Debut author Thomas is adept at capturing the voices of multiple characters, and she ultimately succeeds in restoring Starr’s true voice.

That hope seems slim indeed these days, but ultimately the book emphasizes the need to speak up about injustice, to have injustice be known even if not punished. That’s a message that will resonate with all young people concerned with fairness, and Starr’s experience will speak to readers who know Starr’s life like their own and provide perspective for others.

Thomas, AngieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benedek Leila,Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cartwright, DebraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, JasperTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stempel, JennaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verjovsky Paul, SoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Grandma, who showed me there can be light in the darkness
I shouldn't have come to this party.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,367,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible