The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give

by Angie Thomas

To Read (317)
to get (229)

The Hate U Give tells the story of a young black man killed by a police officer through the eyes of a teenaged friend who witnesses the shooting. And although seeing that act unfold is powerful by itself, the real impact in this story is seeing the divide between the suburban community adjacent to the poorer black neighborhood where this murder occurs. The perfect person to tell this story is our protagonist, Star, a black high school student who goes to a predominantly white private school. In that school, she puts on her college bound private school persona – inherently part of the cool crowd because she’s black, but speaks with impeccable grammar, and doesn’t step out of line. But back home in the neighborhood of Garden Heights, we see her home world, a very tightknit community in a black neighborhood that is fighting its own war with gang violence, drugs, and police shootings. This story is relevant and powerful. It should be required reading for high school students, college students, lawmakers, and especially law enforcers. 5 stars. ( )
  jmoncton | May 22, 2017 |
RGG: So to the minute that one wonders whether the cultural references will become dated, but Starr's honesty about living "two lives" and her community's rage about police brutality and racism is completely engrossing. Written by a rap artist, the prose is compelling. Reading Interest: Definitely YA.
  rgruberexcel | May 21, 2017 |
  rgruberhighschool | May 21, 2017 |
“When I was 12, my parents had two talks with me,” protagonist Starr Carter recalls. “One was the birds and the bees.” The second was what to do if stopped by police. “‘Keep your hands visible. Don’t make any sudden moves. Only speak when they speak to you.’”

Sixteen-year-old Starr is the only witness to her unarmed friend Khalil’s shooting death by a white police officer. Her trauma and grief is quickly compounded by the fear of speaking out to a grand jury, as well as to the public.

Before the shooting, Starr lived in two different worlds. Her weekdays were spent in a predominately white, affluent private school. There, she’s cool by default, she explains, because she’s one of the few black students. Yet, she’s careful not to act too ‘black’ for fear the white students will think she’s ‘ghetto’. At home in her gang-ridden neighborhood, she’s a sassy-mouthed, Air Jordan loving girl who works part-time at her gang-legend dad’s convenience store.
But then Khalil’s shooting becomes national news. The media justifies her friend’s death by labeling him a thug and drug dealer. Many agree, including one of her best friends at school. There was always a rift between her two worlds, but now it’s larger than ever.

As Starr says, “I hope none of them asks me about my spring break. They went to Taipei, the Bahamas, Harry Potter World. I stayed in the hood and saw a cop kill my friend.” Start has hard choices to make. If she speaks out, will it mean justice for Khalil? Or will it only serve to further isolate Starr?

The stories of Eric Garner, Treyvon Martin, Philando Castile, and many others haunt the pages of Angie Thomas’ debut novel “The Hate U Give.” Through the eyes of Starr, she reveals the reality of systemic racism, as well as a gut-punching sense of what it’s like to be young and black in America today. Thomas’s talent for writing natural dialogue and exceptional characters will elevate the story above any others you’ve recently read. Your heart will go out to Starr as you cheer her on, all the while hoping that the gross lack of justice in real life isn’t repeated in the pages of this fictional book.

“The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas is a young adult novel told from the perspective of a sixteen-year-old girl, but the story will appeal to far more than just teens. There isn’t a more authentic voice than that of youthful innocence to lay bare the reality of racism and take it straight to readers’ hearts. “The Hate U Give” will indeed serve as a mirror for some, but as a much-needed window for the rest.

Thomas deserves our highest praise — and thanks. ( )
  coffeeNoSugar | May 17, 2017 |
"Once upon a time there was a hazel-eyed boy with dimples. I called him Khalil. The world called him a thug. He lived, but not nearly long enough, and for the rest of my life I'll remember how he died."

This book had a powerful message that packed a punch. The pacing of the book was well thought-out and the book flowed nicely. There was never a moment where I felt like the book dragged on unnecessarily.

I will admit something about myself - I have led a charmed life. I was a little white girl in the suburbs for most of my life, so Starr's life was eye-opening. It is not a life I understand, but Angie Thomas did a great job giving a glimpse into what life is like as an African American child. Starr has seen much more than her young eyes should have to experience in 16 years. Instead of letting it harden her, she lets it inspire her. I was truly inspired by this novel and would definitely recommend it.

4.5 stars ( )
  AmyBreiter | May 16, 2017 |

Angie Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cartwright, DebraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stempel, JennaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed. Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr. But what Starr does-or does not-say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, Angie Thomas’s searing debut about an ordinary girl in extraordinary circumstances addresses issues of racism and police violence with intelligence, heart, and unflinching honesty. Soon to be a major motion picture from Fox 2000/Temple Hill Productions.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 03 Jan 2017 10:50:39 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,408,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible