Woolvs in the Sitee by Margaret Wild

Woolvs in the Sitee (2006)

by Margaret Wild

Other authors: Anne Spudvilas (Illustrator)

To see this review and others please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

I may be a little obsessed with Margaret Wild books here lately. I picked up another one the other day due to it's interesting title which is misspelled along with an eerie looking cover. After starting the story I realized that many of the words are misspelled in the book which really adds to the darkness.

The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic world and a boy named Ben is stuck in a house with barely any food or water. He's scared of the outside world and believes that there are Woolvs waiting outside to get him.

"And soon they will Kum.

They will Kum for me and for yoo

and for yor bruthers and sisters.

yor muthers and fathers. yor arnts and unkils.

yor grandfathers and grandmuthers.

No won is spared."

He lives in an apartment building with an elderly woman named Mrs. Radinski and once saved by her, he now must return the favor and conquer his fears by leaving the building in which he resides to locate her.

The misspelled and sketched words along with the black and watercolor illustrations add to the dismalness of the story.

Once again, Margaret Wild never ceases to amaze me with her powerful writing. The message this book sends is to be brave and overcome your fears. Never be afraid and take control of your life. This book is best suited for older children 6 grade and up. It's content is too difficult for younger readers.

5***** ( )
  Mischenko | Nov 30, 2017 |
Short graphic novel set in a post-apocalyptic world which has been taken over by woolvs. A young man tells about his fears and how he survives. His only friend is his upstairs neighbor who doesn't believe him about the woolvs until she runs afoul of them and disappears. The colors are dark and the spelling is creative in this story. ( )
  kmartin802 | Mar 22, 2017 |
Didn't realize it's a picture-book. I thought maybe a children's dystopian novel would be interesting, but I don't understand the point or intended audience of this one at all. To me it was just ugly. Sorry. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A young boy escaping depression. The word choice forces you to slow down and really take in the mood and tone of the book. ( )
  zcurlach | Apr 25, 2016 |
I found this book interesting. It was recommended to me for being different from most other picture books - and I agree. The story is simplistic in nature, without many plot points or thoroughly created characters. Although, the characters are enough to keep the reader interested in their plight. The story has a post-apocalyptic feel to it, although the actual causes of the end of the world are unknown. I see curricular connections to this book in art class, for studying the very interesting and engaging art work. As well, dystopian literature can be connected to the book. The phonetic spelling would be interesting to use to introduce the concept of written dialect.
  jstrecker | Mar 9, 2016 |

Margaret Wildprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spudvilas, AnneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In a mostly abandoned city, Ben lives in a musty basement room, terrified of the "woolvs" that dwell in the shadows outside, with only an upstairs neighbor, Mrs. Radinski, to help him cope with his fears.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,101,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible