The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

The Almost Sisters

by Joshilyn Jackson

Joshilyn Jackson’s books are favorites of mine for the same reasons that I enjoy Fannie Flagg: they reflect regionalism (in this case, the South) that’s unfamiliar to me. Jackson also confronts small town racism in a manner that reflects the change that must come about. This novel centers on Leia, a graphic artist, and on her grandmother Birchie, the center of a small Alabama town, and the secret in her attic (perhaps a tiny bit too predictable). Her books are always strongly plotted and sprinkled throughout with humorous southernisms. Birchie’s afflication with Lewy Body dementia is horrifying and instructive. This is a light, but not weightless, read. ( )
  froxgirl | May 11, 2018 |
I always enjoy Joshilyn Jackson novels and although the Southern Fiction category makes her a draw for many, I like her because of her characters. Her heroines are always flawed - but not in a dark twisty way that makes you uncomfortable, but in the way that makes you want to be best friends with them, because their foibles are similar to yours. And who likes friends that are perfect? Her recent books have addressed some heavier issues - spousal abuse, racial tensions, etc. - and it makes the stories have a little more meat on them. Jackson narrates her own audiobooks and although some authors should only let professionals do this, she pulls it off with spectacular success. Very enjoyable! ( )
  jmoncton | May 10, 2018 |
I loved the characters, the story, the twists, and the feminism (a male character is a nurse). What I didn't love, what I never love, is the environment: church-centered, bless your heart Southern small-town intrusive. I become less southern leaning every day, and I don't see the charm in the atmosphere. I would really have loved it if it had been set in the west or even the east. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Apr 27, 2018 |
Leia is a comic book artist from the big city, summoned back to her small town in Alabama to take care of her ailing grandmother, "Birchie", whose recent outbursts have disrupted their community. After arriving in town to deal with Birchie and Wattie, lifelong inseparable friends, Leia discovers a long-hidden family secret while trying to hide her own recently discovered pregnancy to a man she only knows as Batman. As the family comes together and the family's past and present unravels, Leia, Rachel, Birchie, and Wattie discover what it really means to be family and sisters, blood or otherwise.

I really enjoyed getting to know this rich cast of characters from this small southern town. Part historical novel, part romance, this wonderful story is full of humor and fun. I was sad to see this one end! ( )
  voracious | Apr 4, 2018 |
I love Joshilyn Jackson's books. This is one of her best. This is a story of love. Leia is a heartwarming loveable heroine. This story tackles a whole lot of messes, murder, dementia, unplanned pregnancy, lying, racism, heartbreak, and of course love.

Birchie and Wattie are the wonderfully southern grandmothers we all wish we had. They put you in your place all while being a lady. It is hard not to love Rachel once you see that she is flawed. Lavender is just an absolute delight. A bright spunky 13 year old. Jake is a jackass but he is trying... And Batman (Sel) truly is a dark knight. The Macks while definitely not my favorite characters add a sad realism to this book with their in your face bigotry.

Thank you Joshilyn Jackson for this wonderful novel. I can't wait to read your next book. ( )
  heatherdhahn | Feb 5, 2018 |
For Jacques de Spoelberch
My son, Digby, began at exactly 3:02 in the morning on the first Friday in June.

"Superheroes have always been Leia Birch Briggs' weakness. One tequila-soaked night at a comics convention, the usually level-headed graphic novelist is swept off her barstool by a handsome and anonymous Batman. It turns out the caped crusader has left her with more than just a nice, fuzzy memory. She's having a baby boy--an unexpected but not unhappy development in the thirty-eight year-old's life. But before Leia can break the news of her impending single-motherhood (including the fact that her baby is biracial) to her conventional, Southern family, her step-sister Rachel's marriage implodes. Worse, she learns her beloved ninety-year-old grandmother, Birchie, is losing her mind, and she's been hiding her dementia with the help of Wattie, her best friend since girlhood. Leia returns to Alabama to put her grandmother's affairs in order, clean out the big Victorian that has been in the Birch family for generations, and tell her family that she's pregnant. Yet just when Leia thinks she's got it all under control, she learns that illness is not the only thing Birchie's been hiding. Tucked in the attic is a dangerous secret with roots that reach all the way back to the Civil War."--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Joshilyn Jackson's book The Almost Sisters is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,326,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible