Turtle Splash!: Countdown at the Pond

by Cathryn Falwell

As they are startled by the activities of other nearby creatures, the number of turtles on a log in a pond decreases from ten to one. Includes factual information about the animals mentioned in the story.

This story is great for lower levels to help get them into the strategy of visualizing. They can picture the turtles as they count down and draw a picture of their own turtle. ( )
  SharleyWade | Feb 26, 2018 |
a counting book that introduces different parts of a pond environment and the animals that live there.
fun book for introducing different animals and counting.
6 books
  TUCC | Oct 31, 2016 |
Overall, I really enjoyed this story. This book is designed to get young readers involved in the story. The main idea of the book is to show kids how to count down from ten to one. The book gets kids to be involved while learning throughout all sorts of sections of the book. In each page, it illustrates the number of turtles that the story states. Children can count the turtles on the page while actively reading as well. In the back of the book, there is a section used almost like an encyclopedia. This section shares the animals and insects seen throughout the story as well as some facts about them. What wraps this book in a perfect bow is the rhyming used throughout as a great tool to engage the reader. By the end of the book, any reader can learn quite a bit of knowledge. ( )
  zwatso1 | Feb 17, 2016 |
I thought this book was pretty solid. To be honest, it’s not a children’s book that I would recommend to people, but it’s not bad at all. One thing that I really liked about this book was the animal identification key at the back. Even as a college student, there were a couple of animals in the story that I had never heard of, but the key allowed me to become more familiar with them. In addition to the key, I thought the illustrations were fantastic. There’s essentially no blank space on any page. Each page is filled with vibrant colors and detailed illustrations of the wildlife surrounding a pond. All in all, this book’s purpose is to familiarize children with counting as well as the wildlife that they may encounter around a pond. ( )
  jharvi3 | Feb 17, 2016 |
This is a very engaging book for young children. This book’s main message is to help children learn how to count down from ten to one. I love how this book really involves the children in the story. For example, on each page it illustrates the exact number of turtles that the story states. Children are able to participate and count the turtles along with the story. I also like how the book contains a “Life at the Pond” section in the back. In this section it mentions each of the animals and insects in the story. In this section it states some facts about them as well. Also, pictures of each of them are included. Finally, I really enjoy how this story is written in rhyme. This makes it especially engaging for young readers. ( )
  jsanfi1 | May 9, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,388,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible