Hunting Hour by Margaret Mizushima

I've been wanting to read the books in the Timber Creek K-9 Mystery series for a while now and when I got the chance to read this book did I go for it. I love reading books about cops or ex-military that has a K-9 as a partner and I was looking forward to seeing how this book would turn out.

I have to admit that the book was harder to get into than I thought it would be. For some reason, neither the story nor the characters clicked for me and I struggled with the book. Not that it was a bad book, more like I couldn't find myself completely liking it. Mattie Cobb never came alive for me, and I wasn't interested in her childhood traumas. To have a psychological damaged main female character has become very common, and unless the character in any way comes more than a stereotype then it's pretty hard to muster any energy to like here. And, her "relationship" with Cole Walker also was an aspect that just didn't work for me. And, finding myself quite uninterested in the characters made it harder to enjoy reading the book.

Now, the book becomes better towards the end of the book, the story picked up and made my interest grew as I was curious to learn who was behind the killing and later the kidnapping of another young girl. I just want to say one crucial thing about the story, or rather the blurb. It gives away TOO MUCH of the story. I've seen this too often, especially when it comes to thrillers and crime novels. This damages often the enjoyment of reading a book too much. Takes away surprises and to be honest, I will try to avoid books in the future that gives away too much of the story. I don't want to know!

Hunting Hour was not a strong book. However, I do want to read the previous two books to see if they will work better for me.

2.5 stars

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Hunting Hour (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #3) by Margaret Mizushima is a clean K-9 mystery that had a lot of twists and as soon as I thought I figured it out I was wrong. Of course. There was a hint of romance, and that is the way I like it, no sex scenes. Great dogs, a great plot, good characters, and many other side info that makes the story real. I enjoyed it. I was given this story to read and the review is voluntary. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Oct 2, 2017 |
I received a free advance e-copy of this book and have chosen to write an honest and unbiased review. I have no personal affiliation with the author. I loved this story. One girl is dead and another is missing. This book is loaded with suspense and twists and turns. I couldn’t put it down. Didn’t know what was going to happen next. Who is the kidnapper? Lots of info on K9 dogs and how they work. This was an enjoyable read and I like how the author develops her characters and plot. The author does an excellent job of addressing mental illness issues in this book. I enjoyed reading this book a great deal and plan on reading more about Mattie, Robo, and Cole Walker and family in the future. ( )
  iadam | Aug 23, 2017 |
Timber Creek K-9 Robo is amazing and due some real Lassie worship! This is my first reading of Margaret Mizushima's K-9 mysteries of which "Killing Trail" and "Stalking Ground" are also a part of this series. Had no trouble following Hunting Hour even without first reading the other two. Hunting is what Robo and his handler Mattie Cobb do best as part of the local law enforcement team. Many bumps in the road are hit in this novel whose ball rolls down the hill at an amazing page turning rate. Modern issues of elderly care, teen drug and sex secrets and the need of counseling for life's challenges are all glimpsed. Murder investigation leads into another abduction and tests the skills of Robo and Mattie. Many twists and turns made this a mystery to enjoy along with hints of romance. "A copy of this book was provided to me by Crooked Lane Books and author via Netgalley with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read and my comments here are my honest opinion." ( )
  marandajo | Aug 8, 2017 |
Deputy Mattie Cobb is more emotionally attached to her K-9 partner, Robo, than she is to anyone or anything else, and it's this attachment that makes them one of the best teams in crime fiction. However, in this third book in Mizushima's riveting series, Mattie is much too emotionally involved to be objective, and readers get to see her coming off the rails in her frenzy to find Cole's daughter.

One of the reasons why Mattie loses her objectivity is because she really doesn't understand mental illness-- one of the issues Mizushima handles so well in Hunting Hour-- and this stresses the importance of proper training for all police officers, not just the four-legged ones.

As in the previous two books, Hunting Hour is a superb look at working dogs in a police department, their training, what they're capable of doing, and how those capabilities could expand. The book also has the author's trademark action sequences that keep readers glued to the page, and the rich relationships between the main characters that make them so easy to care about.

Evidently my whodunit radar was in fine fettle when I read this because I spotted the villain immediately. Perhaps it's the work I did in a mental health institution so many years ago. I really don't know. Be that as it may, I enjoyed Hunting Hour, and was happy to see a small hint at the end that leads me to believe that Mattie and Robo could have new challenges in the future. I really think a new direction is needed because the series has been heavy on child jeopardy. After all, Cole's daughters have had more than their share of terror!

If you're a fan of small town Colorado settings, action that gets your adrenaline pumping, solid mysteries, wonderful dogs, and a fine cast of characters, you're in for a treat with Margaret Mizushima's Timber Creek K-9 series. Start at the beginning with Killing Trail! ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 7, 2017 |

Deputy Mattie Cobb is in a dark place and has withdrawn from Cole Walker and his family to work on issues from her past. When she and her K-9 partner Robo get called to track a missing junior high student, they find the girl dead on Smoker's Hill behind the high school, and Mattie must head to the Walker home to break the bad news. But that's only the start of trouble in Timber Creek, because soon another girl goes missing--and this time it's one of Cole's daughters. Knowing that each hour a child remains missing lessens the probability of finding her alive, Mattie and Robo lead the hunt while Cole and community volunteers join in to search everywhere. To no avail. It seems that someone has snatched all trace of the Walker girl from their midst, including her scent. Grasping at straws, Mattie and Robo follow a phoned-in tip into the dense forest, where they hope to find a trace of the girl's scent and to rescue her alive. But when Robo does catch her scent, it leads them to information that challenges everything they thought they knew about the case. Mattie and Robo must rush to hunt down the kidnapper before they're too late in Hunting Hour, the third installment in critically acclaimed author Margaret Mizushima's exhilarating mystery series.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,196,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible