Hunting Hour by Margaret Mizushima

Audiobook: This series is very informative. The author knows what she is writing about and teaches it in her books. It's still a dry read, it feels emotionally stifled to me. I think it's the narrator or perhaps it is the writing, it's just so logical. I feel like I'm reading a "just the facts" book. This one had more internal emotional turmoil but no flares. It's all so maddening calm and reserved. The narrator is very precise and reads it like a book, she may be killing it for me. This might be a book to read only ? I'm have book 4 through my library, I'm not sure if I want to read anymore of this series or not. ( )
  TheYodamom | Dec 10, 2018 |
I've been wanting to read the books in the Timber Creek K-9 Mystery series for a while now and when I got the chance to read this book did I go for it. I love reading books about cops or ex-military that has a K-9 as a partner and I was looking forward to seeing how this book would turn out.

I have to admit that the book was harder to get into than I thought it would be. For some reason, neither the story nor the characters clicked for me and I struggled with the book. Not that it was a bad book, more like I couldn't find myself completely liking it. Mattie Cobb never came alive for me, and I wasn't interested in her childhood traumas. To have a psychological damaged main female character has become very common, and unless the character in any way comes more than a stereotype then it's pretty hard to muster any energy to like here. And, her "relationship" with Cole Walker also was an aspect that just didn't work for me. And, finding myself quite uninterested in the characters made it harder to enjoy reading the book.

Now, the book becomes better towards the end of the book, the story picked up and made my interest grew as I was curious to learn who was behind the killing and later the kidnapping of another young girl. I just want to say one crucial thing about the story, or rather the blurb. It gives away TOO MUCH of the story. I've seen this too often, especially when it comes to thrillers and crime novels. This damages often the enjoyment of reading a book too much. Takes away surprises and to be honest, I will try to avoid books in the future that gives away too much of the story. I don't want to know!

Hunting Hour was not a strong book. However, I do want to read the previous two books to see if they will work better for me.

2.5 stars

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Hunting Hour (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #3) by Margaret Mizushima is a clean K-9 mystery that had a lot of twists and as soon as I thought I figured it out I was wrong. Of course. There was a hint of romance, and that is the way I like it, no sex scenes. Great dogs, a great plot, good characters, and many other side info that makes the story real. I enjoyed it. I was given this story to read and the review is voluntary. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Oct 2, 2017 |
I received a free advance e-copy of this book and have chosen to write an honest and unbiased review. I have no personal affiliation with the author. I loved this story. One girl is dead and another is missing. This book is loaded with suspense and twists and turns. I couldn’t put it down. Didn’t know what was going to happen next. Who is the kidnapper? Lots of info on K9 dogs and how they work. This was an enjoyable read and I like how the author develops her characters and plot. The author does an excellent job of addressing mental illness issues in this book. I enjoyed reading this book a great deal and plan on reading more about Mattie, Robo, and Cole Walker and family in the future. ( )
  iadam | Aug 23, 2017 |
Timber Creek K-9 Robo is amazing and due some real Lassie worship! This is my first reading of Margaret Mizushima's K-9 mysteries of which "Killing Trail" and "Stalking Ground" are also a part of this series. Had no trouble following Hunting Hour even without first reading the other two. Hunting is what Robo and his handler Mattie Cobb do best as part of the local law enforcement team. Many bumps in the road are hit in this novel whose ball rolls down the hill at an amazing page turning rate. Modern issues of elderly care, teen drug and sex secrets and the need of counseling for life's challenges are all glimpsed. Murder investigation leads into another abduction and tests the skills of Robo and Mattie. Many twists and turns made this a mystery to enjoy along with hints of romance. "A copy of this book was provided to me by Crooked Lane Books and author via Netgalley with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read and my comments here are my honest opinion." ( )
  marandajo | Aug 8, 2017 |

Deputy Mattie Cobb is in a dark place and has withdrawn from Cole Walker and his family to work on issues from her past. When she and her K-9 partner Robo get called to track a missing junior high student, they find the girl dead on Smoker's Hill behind the high school, and Mattie must head to the Walker home to break the bad news. But that's only the start of trouble in Timber Creek, because soon another girl goes missing--and this time it's one of Cole's daughters. Knowing that each hour a child remains missing lessens the probability of finding her alive, Mattie and Robo lead the hunt while Cole and community volunteers join in to search everywhere. To no avail. It seems that someone has snatched all trace of the Walker girl from their midst, including her scent. Grasping at straws, Mattie and Robo follow a phoned-in tip into the dense forest, where they hope to find a trace of the girl's scent and to rescue her alive. But when Robo does catch her scent, it leads them to information that challenges everything they thought they knew about the case. Mattie and Robo must rush to hunt down the kidnapper before they're too late in Hunting Hour, the third installment in critically acclaimed author Margaret Mizushima's exhilarating mystery series.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,633,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible