What the Hell Did I Just Read

by David Wong

Series: John Dies At The End (3)

Investigating the activities of a shapeshifting entity that is snatching local kids, the friends from This Book Is Full of Spiders are challenged to navigate an uproariously convoluted maze of illusions, incompetence and lies.

More laugh-out-loud funniness from John Wong. Yes, some of is is positively peurile. But it's still damn funny. ( )
  Treebeard_404 | Jan 23, 2024 |
As funny and fun as "John Dies at the End". Books like this are made for me. Someone described them as "Nonchalant Absurdism" and that just about nails it. I smiled and/or laughed the entire time. ( )
  jbaty | Dec 29, 2023 |
As I said in my check ins: JDatE continues to be simultaneously the most disgusting thing I've read while also being super funny AND juvenile, with occasional sincerity. I'm very glad Amy continues to be a core viewpoint, and in a mystery where perceptions lie, it was neat to bounce between David, Amy, and John's perspectives on the same events.

In book 3, Stephen R. Thorne returns to narrate. I feel like Nick Pohdehl had an appropriate mania to his performance in 2, but honestly if I hadn't looked up the narrators I proooooobably wouldn't have noticed the change. I'm glad I read these via audio though, because the performance of shrieks and sounds for the various creepy specters and weirdos we encounter is just so fitting for this. Book 1 had some text-specific things that work better in that format (which makes sense as it started as a web serial), but as audiobooks they're short (under 15 hours) and fun. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 28, 2023 |
Goodreads! This is why we need half-star ratings. 4.5. One of the most unique writing voices you'll ever find. Fantastic if you love your horror with an overabundance of penis jokes. ( )
  hubrisinmotion | Nov 14, 2023 |
This was by far the best John Dies at the End book and I absolutely loved every second of it. The series is worth reading for this book alone. ( )
  Emree | Aug 20, 2023 |

David Wongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thorne, Stephen R.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,318,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible