Glass Houses by Louise Penny

Glass Houses

by Louise Penny

Series: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (13)

Recently added byprivate library, barbaramauzy, sail7, tweedyisland, bayleaf, gwmcm911, EBassett, RobinaPlott, ssomme

English (76)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (78)
A murder in Three Pines concludes the overwatch of a Spanish mythical character, the Cobrador del Frac. This crime serves as a major distraction as Gamache struggles, personally and professionally, to implement a major strategic stroke against the drug cartels that have infested Quebec. A very complex orchestration handled very nicely by this very good author. Interest and suspense are sustained quite well as the venues change during to support. An excellent entry in this very good series. ( )
  jamespurcell | Feb 25, 2019 |
What can I say? I love Three Pines, Gamache, and Louise Penny. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
I have heard so much about this series, but this is the first one I have read. I now know what all the other fans have been going on about. Inspector Gamache and the rest of the Quebec police have not been arresting as many people as the government and the detractors think, but he has set something in motion that will make everyone happy in the end, at least that is what he hopes. When there is a murder in the small town of Three Pines, the mystery man in the black hood and cape are investigated and the story of the Cobrador emerges. The characters are wonderful. They are typical small town residents who all seem to know each other's business, but are also there to help anyone who needs it. There is a complex plot line and Penny's writing style is unique. There is some going back and forth in time, which was a bit confusing at first, but I caught on pretty quick. I had no idea who the guilty party were until right near the end when it was revealed. There are several things happening, so it is important to pay attention to detail as there are a lot of questions along the way. I really enjoyed this story and will definitely go back and read the series from the start. Thanks to Minotaur books for providing me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. All opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Outstanding, as usual. In the past (and still a little today) I had a bias against long series, thinking the books in it couldn't be that great if they're churned out for such an extended time. However, Louise Penny's series about Three Pines and Inspector Gamache is an exception if ever there was one. Each book stands alone in excellence. I can see Three Pines and the characters who live there clearly in my mind. I care about these people. The story lines are intricate and smart with heart and tenderness. I could read (and listen to--this series on audio is out of this world) these books forever. This particular story had some darkness to it, and Gamache is a complicated character--admirable and worthy of respect, to be sure, but fully flawed and human, as well. ( )
  destareads | Feb 1, 2019 |
I always like the series, and this one is no exception. I like the fact that the author changed the way she is telling the story and this one is a bit on the unconventional way by mixing the current and past events together. ( )
  Baochuan | Jan 17, 2019 |

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bathurst, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burke, D.Cover photo of icesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goody, MargoPackage designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiProducer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
lobsterCover photo of watersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio contains an author's note, read by Louise Penny (7.01 minutes), and a bonus conversation with Louise Penny and Robert Bathurst (28.26 minutes).

From the moment its shadow falls over the village, Gamache, now Chief Superintendent of the Sûreté du Québec, suspects the creature has deep roots and a dark purpose. Yet he does nothing. What can he do? Only watch and wait. And hope his mounting fears are not realized.

Months later, on a steamy July day as the trial for the accused begins in Montréal, Chief Superintendent Gamache continues to struggle with actions he set in motion that bitter November, from which there is no going back. More than the accused is on trial. Gamache’s own conscience is standing in judgment. Amazon

When a mysterious figure appears in Three Pines one cold November day, Armand Gamache and the rest of the villagers are at first curious. Then wary. Through rain and sleet, the figure stands unmoving, staring ahead. From the moment its shadow falls over the village, Gamache, now Chief Superintendent of the Surete du Quebec, suspects the creature has deep roots and a dark purpose. Yet he does nothing. What can he do? Only watch and wait. And hope his mounting fears are not realized. But when the figure vanishes overnight and a body is discovered, it falls to Gamache to discover if a debt has been paid or levied. Months later, on a steamy July day as the trial for the accused begins in Montreal, Chief Superintendent Gamache continues to struggle with actions he set in motion that bitter November, from which there is no going back. More than the accused is on trial. Gamache's own conscience is standing in judgment.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,557,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible