Glass Houses

by Louise Penny

Series: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (13)

"When a mysterious figure appears in Three Pines one cold November day, Armand Gamache and the rest of the villagers are at first curious. Then wary. Through rain and sleet, the figure stands unmoving, staring ahead. From the moment its shadow falls over the village, Gamache, now Chief Superintendent of the Sûreté du Québec, suspects the creature has deep roots and a dark purpose. Yet he does nothing. What can he do? Only watch and wait. And hope his mounting fears are not realized. But when the figure vanishes overnight and a body is discovered, it falls to Gamache to discover if a debt has been paid or levied. Months later, on a steamy July day as the trial for the accused begins in Montréal, Chief Superintendent Gamache continues to struggle with actions he set in motion that bitter November, from which there is no going back. More than the accused is on trial. Gamache's own conscience is standing in judgment" -- provided by publisher.… (more)

English (97)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (100)
Glass Houses is a difficult book to follow. It takes place in 2017 which is not important but it is. The book is not about time but it is about the characters dealing with a serious modern day problem that is getting worse. Chief Inspector Gamache puts his reputation and life on the line to combat the problem so that more young people will not die. The book receives four stars in this review because even though it is hard to follow there still is a desire to find out if the chief inspector wins or not. ( )
  lbswiener | Aug 17, 2021 |
In an act of crazy over simplification, let me say that books essentially have two main parts, the plot and the emotion (characters, etc.). This book had some plot problems, some of them so major I was thinking it might not get my highest rating as I was reading it, then in the final third of the book the emotional side took over and knocked me flat. That is writing. I can still quibble about some of the actions taken in the book. They are unrealistic and often not believable. But none of that mattered as I arrived where the characters arrived, many of these characters I have gotten to know through thirteen books now in the series. The feelings are earned through the blood, sweat, and tears of what has come before and I found myself opening weeping as certain events unfolded. Some of these were tears of sadness but often it was a reaction to a real moment of human kindness. So often today we don't see that, instead we see anger, hatred, and mistrust. A line from one of the poems in the book asks the question (paraphrased here), "where did you go when the straight road splayed?" We all start down a straight path but NO ONE gets to travel it without it falling apart. What do we do when it happens? What choices do we make? And how compassionate are we when we attempt to judge another and their choices? I also want to commend the Author's Note at the end of the book. All of it together is moving and life affirming. What more can one want? ( )
  MarkMad | Jul 14, 2021 |
Louise Penny just gets better and better. Amazing creativity. Fantastic characters who you would want to know, especially Ruth and, of course, Armand. I want to move to Three Pines. ( )
  SusanWallace | Jul 10, 2021 |
mystery/suspense fiction (small town Quebec). a page turner! Would recommend this bestselling author to anyone looking for a good mystery/suspense series. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Armand saves Quebec Surete; Death in a hood--something du frac
  18cran | Jun 22, 2021 |

Penny, Louiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bathurst, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burke, D.Cover photo of icesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goody, MargoPackage designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiProducer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
lobsterCover photo of watersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David BaldeosinghCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, LauraProducersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Lise Desrosiers, whom I found in my garden, and who now lives in my heart
Audio contains an author's note, read by Louise Penny (7.01 minutes), and a bonus conversation with Louise Penny and Robert Bathurst (28.26 minutes).

Months later, on a steamy July day as the trial for the accused begins in Montréal, Chief Superintendent Gamache continues to struggle with actions he set in motion that bitter November, from which there is no going back. More than the accused is on trial. Gamache’s own conscience is standing in judgment. Amazon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,391,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible