The Shape Shifter (2006)

by Tony Hillerman

Series: Leaphorn/Chee (18)

Retired from the Navajo Tribal Police, Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn is called upon once again to solve a crime. This time it's Joe's last case, a case that remains unsolved and contines to haunt him.

this is my favorite. ( )
  alison-rose | May 22, 2023 |
The Shape Shifter is a good Leaphorn and Chee novel. Actually it is mostly a Leaphorn novel involving a 30 year unsolved crime involving Grandma Peshlakai complaining that someone stole her baskets and sap from the pinon trees. Leaphorn wound up working with his retired buddies to solve the problem. Humor was involved, Navajo politeness and police sleuthing to work on the case. Three stars were awarded to this book, as it was boring in many places and not one of Tony Hillerman's better stories. ( )
  lbswiener | Sep 3, 2022 |
Not as compelling as some Leaphorn novels, and I also figured it out well in advance, but still an entertaining read. ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
This started as another of the read-straight-through Tony Hillerman's and I was enjoying being as confused as Joe Leaphorn and his friends by all the unfolding mysteries. Then came a lot of repetition, followed later by always unwelcome in-depth hunting scenarios. (Sure happy I don't like fruitcake!)

The worst and still inexplicable was when Navajo Joe condoned the poisoning and
proceeded to watch the dying of a bird. This is not The Navajo Way. Yet, he requested no Healing Ceremony.
This supersedes the plot mysteries.

I skimmed the improbable Tommy Vang ending and tossed the book into the dumpster.

So great to have Anne's books to look forward to with hopefully no animal cruelty. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jan 3, 2021 |
Really enjoyed this final meeting with Leaphorn and Chee. Ignore the glaring plot holes; it doesn't matter when you're back in the desert southwest with Mr. Hillerman. R.I.P. dear man! ( )
  TanteLeonie | Jun 6, 2020 |
This book is dedicated to Anne Margaret, Janet Marie, Anthony Grove, Jr., Steven August, Monica Mary, and Daniel Bernard listed in order of the date they arrived to brighten our lives.
Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn, retired, stopped his pickup about a hundred yards short of where he had intended to park, turned off the ignition, stared at Sergeant Jim Chee's trailer home, and reconsidered his tactics.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,523,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible