The Shape Shifter (2006)

by Tony Hillerman

Series: Jim Chee (15), Leaphorn/Chee (18)

Retired from the Navajo Tribal Police, Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn is called upon once again to solve a crime. This time it's Joe's last case, a case that remains unsolved and contines to haunt him.

This started as another of the read-straight-through Tony Hillerman's and I was enjoying being as confused as Joe Leaphorn and his friends by all the unfolding mysteries. Then came a lot of repetition, followed later by always unwelcome in-depth hunting scenarios. (Sure happy I don't like fruitcake!)

The worst and still inexplicable was when Navajo Joe condoned the poisoning and
proceeded to watch the dying of a bird. This is not The Navajo Way. Yet, he requested no Healing Ceremony.
This supersedes the plot mysteries.

I skimmed the improbable Tommy Vang ending and tossed the book into the dumpster.

So great to have Anne's books to look forward to with hopefully no animal cruelty. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jan 3, 2021 |
Really enjoyed this final meeting with Leaphorn and Chee. Ignore the glaring plot holes; it doesn't matter when you're back in the desert southwest with Mr. Hillerman. R.I.P. dear man! ( )
  TanteLeonie | Jun 6, 2020 |
Retired Lt. Joe Leaphorn is drawn into a mystery involving the history of a tale teller woven rug. The rug is supposed to be cursed with ill will. This old rug was supposed to have been burned in a fire long ago, in fact, it was a case Leaphorn worked on and thought was closed. Now new clues keep popping up, along with his uneasy conscience about that old case, to make him investigate.

Any book with Leaphorn in it is a good read, but this one isn't perhaps as good as some of the earlier novels. The southwest world is still delicious in its descriptions, and the characters are interesting, but I noticed several continuity issues, and the mystery wasn't difficult. ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 11, 2019 |
  JRCornell | Dec 8, 2018 |
Tony Hillerman does it again. I'm such a fan. I want to have lunch with Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. Great characters, gradually unfolding mystery, a truly evil guy, and the best part, a powerful evocation of a place and a people. And Jim Chee finally got married! ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This book is dedicated to Anne Margaret, Janet Marie, Anthony Grove, Jr., Steven August, Monica Mary, and Daniel Bernard listed in order of the date they arrived to brighten our lives.
Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn, retired, stopped his pickup about a hundred yards short of where he had intended to park, turned off the ignition, stared at Sergeant Jim Chee's trailer home, and reconsidered his tactics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,974,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible