Inside the Jihad: My Life with Al Qaeda by…

Inside the Jihad: My Life with Al Qaeda

by Omar Nasiri

English (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (4)
This was difficult to get through for a number of reasons. My biggest mental hurdle was that I knew the author was a self-admitted liar, so while I knew that this had been vetted and confirmed by a number of people who understand terrorist and jihadis, I could not stop questioning everything.

My other problem was that I want to have hope that one we will be able to find common ground as humans, and without divulging too much, I found it difficult to maintain this hope. It is not naivete on my part. I understand that humans can be extraordinarily cruel to one another. But I have also witnessed the opposite of that, and that is why I maintain optimism.

So it was hard to read, and finish, but I did. It's not for everyone, but it did teach me a lot. At the end of the day, that made it worthwhile for me. ( )
  ptkpepe98 | Mar 19, 2018 |
Written by a muslim who joined with terrorists, it provides a good understanding of the feelings and thoughts of the militant muslem "terrorists" who inhabit our world at present. In his own words, the author was maltreated by the European intelligence agencies for which he worked, but he did not change his fervent belief in his religion. This eye-opening book should be understood by western policy makers, for to ignore the ideas condemns the earth to perpetual conflict. ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 30, 2014 |
In the months since I read this book, I've realized how valuable it is for understanding American policy, imprisonment and prosecution of terrorists and their allies. From his description of Abu Zubayda (whom he knew in Afghanistan) to his candid revelations about the obligations a jihadi must meet after being taken captive before he can cooperate with his captors, to his descriptions of the terrorist training camp he lived in, and even descriptions of himself, and how he came to betray Al Qaeda and turn informant even though he still believed (and believes today) in their mission...all of these things shed light on the issues being reported every week in newspaper coverage of GTMO. It is a crucial book for understanding the enemy, and for understanding where America succeeds and fails at extracting intelligence from prisoners captured in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

I didn't realize what I had in my hands when I read it the first time, so I need to re-read it again and then I can write a more detailed review. Though readers may be reluctant to lay down cash for this book, knowing royalties from the purchase will go to a declared Al Qaeda supporter, you'll know your enemy better if you manage to read this somehow. ( )
  spacecommuter | Sep 18, 2009 |

Between 1994 and 2000, Omar Nasiri worked as a secret agent for Europe’s top foreign intelligence services - including France’s DGSE (Direction Générale de la Sécurité Extérieure), and Britain’s MI5 and MI6. From the netherworld of Islamist cells in Belgium, to the training camps of Afghanistan, to the radical mosques of London, he risked his life to defeat the emerging global network that the West would come to know as Al Qaeda. Now, for the first time, Nasiri shares the story of his life-a life balanced precariously between the world of Islamic jihadists and the spies who pursue them. As an Arab and a Muslim, he was able to infiltrate the rigidly controlled Afghan training camps, where he encountered men who would later be known as the most-wanted terrorists on earth: Ibn al-Sheikh al-Libi, Abu Zubayda, and Abu Khabab al-Masri. Sent back to Europe with instructions to form a sleeper cell, Nasiri became a conduit for messages going back and forth between Al Qaeda’s top recruiter in Pakistan and London’s radical cleric Abu Qatada.A gripping and provocative insider’s account of both Islamist terror networks and the intelligence services that spy on them, Inside the Jihad offers a completely original perspective on the ongoing battle against Al Qaeda.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

"Between 1994 and 2000, Omar Nasiri worked as a secret agent for Europe's top foreign intelligence services - for Britain's Secret Intelligent Service (SIS), more commonly known as MI6, for the Security Service MI5, for France's DGSE (Direction Generale de la Securite Exterieure) and for Germany's BvF (Bundesamtes fur Verfassungsschutz). From the Islamist cells of Belgium, to the madrasas of Pakistan, to Afghanistan's terrorist training camps and to 'Londonistan', Nasiri risked his life to counter the emerging global network that the West would come to know as Al Qaeda." "Now, for the first time, Nasiri shares his story of a life in the balance - poised precariously between Islamist jihadists and the spies who pursue them. As an Arab and a Muslim, he infiltrated the rigidly-controlled training camps of Derunta and Khalden, where he encountered men who would later be among the world's most wanted terrorists: Ibn Sheikh al-Libi, Abu Zubayda and Abu Khabab al-Masri. Sent back to Europe with instructions to form a sleeper cell, Nasiri became a conduit for messages going back and forth between Al Qaeda's top recruiter in Pakistan and London's radical Muslim clerics."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible