Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's…

Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism

by Naoki Higashida

A miscellany of pieces from a non verbal autistic Japanese man written in his late teens/early twenties, mostly pleas for a little more understanding and kindness in the world. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Oct 18, 2018 |
An insight by autistic non-verbal author Naoki Higashida into his autism world. Enlightening for anyone supporting autistic people, by the author of the famous The Reason I Jump.
  ThePinesLibrary | Feb 27, 2018 |
If you've read his first book then it's not a surprise. My review somehow got eaten and replaced with another review. Sigh.

If you've read the author's first book then you're not going to be too shocked. There's value if you're curious about the author now as a young man vs. when he wrote his first book as a tween/young teenager. But I wasn't particularly intrigued and didn't find the blog-like posts all that interesting.

I'm glad I could find it at the library though, and it might be be for someone else. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Thank you to Goodreads and the publisher for a free copy of Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8. I found this an exceptional read for two main reasons:

Firstly, so many times when I look up information on autism, I find things written by neurotypical parents, other family members, friends of people with autism, etc. And while they certainly can share valuable information, I find myself wanting to read something by someone on the autism spectrum, someone who is experiencing things first-hand. This book does just that.

Secondly, the writing itself is poignant and beautiful. Naoki Higashida writes lovely vignettes and musings. I was not surprised to find out that he also writes poetry.

bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
As a teacher of nonverbal young adults, I have the pleasure of having students with autism in my class. I don't always know how their minds are working, and none of them can communicate like Naoki, but his stories, poems, and reflections certainly make me think about the way they view the world. It makes me wish I could tap into some form of communication to release what's inside. The only slight hesitation I have is that this book may give false hope where in reality there may be very little that will change. In some cases, it's best to love the person for who he or she is, but if I were a parent, I too would hope that one day I could hear my child speak. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Sep 25, 2017 |

Higashida, Naokiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, DavidTranslator and Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoshida, KeikoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The author of the bestselling phenomenon The Reason I Jump returns with a unique memoir about life as a young adult with severe autism. With an introduction by David Mitchell, who translated this book with his wife, KA Yoshida, this extraordinary new work explores education, identity, family, society, and personal growth, opening a window into the mind of its nonverbal author and providing remarkable insights into autism in general"-- "Naoki Higashida wrote The Reason I Jump as a 13-year-old boy. Now, he shares his thoughts and experiences as a 24-year old young man with severe autism. In short, powerful chapters, he explores education, identity, family, society and personal growth. He also allows readers to experience profound moments we take for granted, like the thought-steps necessary for him to register that it's raining outside. Introduced by award-winning author David Mitchell (co-translator with his wife, KA Yoshida), this book is part memoir, part critique of a world that sees disabilities ahead of disabled people. It is a self-portrait-in-progress of a young man who happens to have autism, and who wants to help us understand it better"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Naoki Higashida's book Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,515,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible