The Ion Raider by Ian Whates

The Ion Raider

by Ian Whates

196537,190 (3.8)2

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Usually when I get a sequel to a series I will buy the 1st book to get familiar with the characters. I find it helpful and I also get a feel of how a author writes. The first book had me wanting more so when I read this book while the ending left me with a cliffhanger I would be happy to find out the further adventures of the Dark Angels. Very well written and fun to read. ( )
  ProfessorT | May 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My present regret is that the early volume in the series, Pelquin's Comet, is not available in ePub format, but only as a Kindle or paper book. No, this book is not a masterpiece: some characters, like Jan, got lost in the middle of the story and moreover the story does not end - it's obvious that a third volume is already foreseen. But this is not a problem. We are talking about a space opera novel. You search for action, adventure, plot twists: here you will find plenty of all of them, and you will slowly start to understand that there was something beneath that. Maybe this was explained in the first volume, but it this were the case Whates managed not to be patronising, allowing the reader to go on even without the previous knowledge. If you like the genre, I warmly recommend this book. ( )
  .mau. | May 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well, I did get some of what I said I wanted from this sequel: a little more information about Drake and the elder caches. Some, not a lot. The prose doesn't feel as awkward this time around, but most of my other criticism of Pelquin's Comet still stands. There is little to no character development. And this time around, everything felt rushed. It's been a long time since I've longed for padding this much. This needs some fluff, anything, really. Otherwise, fairly enjoyable space-opera-lite. ( )
  irapearson | May 25, 2017 |
I received this book for review.
It has taken me longer than expected to finish reading it -- I kept putting it down to read other books that I bought or checked out of the library.
This is not usual for me. The story started sort of slow and kind of meandered along until suddenly it stopped. Not ended, stopped.
I have many other series books I follow that have hooks into the follow-on stories but none of them just stop. I guess Mr. Whates reached his contracted word count and decided to just continue in another book.
Oh, I've reached the end of my agreed-upon review
  CA2Balloon | May 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Space Opera is my favorite genre. As such, I was pleased to be offered an edition of The Ion Raider by Ian Whates in return for an honest review.

The writing was superb, but I was held back from fully appreciating it due to a lack of character development in the beginning of the book. That development evidently took place in book one of the series. Verbal intercourse between the first two characters who were introduced in the book began to fill in some of the background. One third of the way into the book, the story started to gel and carry my interest.

While the first book was apparently about raiding ancient alien caches of futuristic items, the Ion Raider dove into the reason that those caches exits. Evidently, they were not left behind by the ancients out of generosity to future races, but were left as tools for the those that remained behind. As the book finished, we’re left to ponder; what are these aliens’ and their human followers’ plans for humanity.

The Ion Raider is not a complete story as its characters were not developed and it ended in a cliff hanger that speaks loudly of the need to read the next book in the series. Therefore, make sure and read Pelquin's Comet, book one in The Dark Angels series, first. The result will be a much more enjoyable reading of The Ion Raider and much more excitement about the story,. ( )
  ronploude | May 16, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ian Whates's book The Ion Raider is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,330,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible