The Word is Murder by Anthony Horowitz

I love an Anthony Horowitz novel and this one is no exception. In this novel he inserts himself into the story. Diana Cowper is a woman unknown to Hororwitz who is found murdered. The catch is that she planned her own funeral hours before she died. Ex cop Hawthorne contacts Horowitz because he wants him to write a book about how he is going to solve the case.

I am an Agatha Christie fan and clearly Horowitz is too. I love how he takes the classic mystery formula and turns it on it's head. Clues unravel as we closer and closer to the truth of what happened. If there is one misstep in the book it is how Horowitz deals with homosexuality. It is revealed that Hawthorne is homophobic and Horowitz is repulsed by this but no explanation is ever given for why Hawthorne feels that way and it is never really resolved or addressed. Aside from that I did enjoy the mystery and am still a fan. ( )
  arielfl | Sep 23, 2018 |
I am giving this one star less than the Stephanie Plum novel I just read because it doesn't succeed at its goal nearly as well. Inserting himself into the book is a clever idea, but he doesn't come off as a realistic character. I found the mystery rather ordinary and the ending, with the disclosure about Hawthorne, anticlimactic. Happy it read quickly so I didn't have to take too long with it. ( )
  PatsyMurray | Sep 19, 2018 |
Horowitz always writes a good mystery, and placing himself front and center in this book makes it even more interesting, His sidekick, a dour former British police detective adds to the story. ( )
  brangwinn | Aug 22, 2018 |
I loved Anthony Horowitz's book, The Magpie Murders and frankly couldn't see how he could top that one! But, he certainly did...by...not telling, that was the thing I loved best about this book! A woman walks into a funeral home and plans her funeral and then is found murdered six hours later. Ex-police detective, Daniel Hawthorne is called in to help with the investigation. Hawthorne is a great character, brilliant but kind of lacking in personal interactive skills. An excellent murder mystery with a quirky narrative style. Definitely recommended! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Aug 9, 2018 |
I've enjoyed Anthony Horowitz's previous adult mysteries and happily picked up his latest, The Word is Murder.

Oh my gosh, it is so very, very clever! I absolutely adored it!

The murder? A woman walks into a funeral home, plans her funeral and is found murdered six hours later. Ex police detective Daniel Hawthorne is called in to help with the investigation. Hawthorne is also looking for someone to ghost write his memoirs and approaches Anthony Horowitz. Yes, you read that right - Horowitz himself is a character in the book! I must admit to being unsure if this was a fiction book in the first few chapters. (it is) And if this concept would work.(it really does) Horowitz is soon drawn into the case as he follows Hawthorne around on his investigation.

Hawthorne is such a great character - a brilliant detective, but somewhat lacking in personal interactive skills. I quite liked him. He reminded me a bit of Cormoran Strike. The publisher describes Horowitz as a Watson to Hawthorne's Holmes and its a spot on description. I had so much fun reading Horowitz's description of himself, his thoughts and reactions. Can you imagine the writing process? The interactions between the two are wonderfully depicted.

And just as well done is the actual mystery. Hawthorne picks up on the smallest clues and discrepancies. Horowitz also tries to investigate, but doesn't have the skill set of Hawthorne. It's not clear who is the culprit and I was kept guessing alongside of our protagonists.

Clever, clever, clever. The Word of Murder is excellent reading. And....there is a sequel coming called Another Word for Murder. Can't wait! ( )
  Twink | Aug 2, 2018 |

When a wealthy woman is found murdered after planning her own funeral service, disgraced police detective Daniel Hawthorne and his sidekick, author Anthony Horowitz, investigate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,997,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible