The Wizards of Once by Cressida Cowell

The Wizards of Once

by Cressida Cowell

Series: The Wizards of Once (1)

Cressida Cowell is back, and her latest effort is thoroughly enjoyable. It’s sure to entice a wide range of young readers as well as many young at heart. Here there be magic and humor, adventure and danger, and more than one quotable passage. Thematically, it treads similar territory as How to Train Your Dragons: there are the traditional enemies who maybe don’t need to be enemies after all and who, at the least, need to ally to overcome a greater threat. The children are capable, if flawed, and the adults are certainly keeping their secrets. Xar is delightfully (or, alternatively, fretfully) incorrigible in his arrogance and mischief, while Wish is lacking in confidence but certainly clever. Aspiring body guard Bodkin is also charmingly brave if perhaps a tad inept. Neither Xar nor Wish fit in entirely with their respective tribes, and all three protagonists struggle to live up to their parents expectations. There’s a lot for children to relate to here and broad appeal across genders.

This was a book that left me smiling and ready for the next adventure. I, for one, cannot wait to see where the story leads!

ARC provided by NetGalley. ( )
  nwessler | Jun 20, 2018 |
This is fun! Written in that slightly trendy way for children, with lots of pictures and big fonts and a clear and knowing authorial voice, it is about the battle between Wizards and Warriors, particularly the story of a young cocky Wizard who unfortunately has no magic, and a young Warrior who unexpectedly does. It has a very cute supporting cast of magic spoons and hairy fairies, is gently amusing, and even though it is clearly a set up for the rest of the series stands well on its own as well. ( )
  atreic | Jun 1, 2018 |
My son got this book in an Owlcrate Jr. I had never read anything by Cowell before (although I liked the “How to Train Your Dragon” movies). I read the first 100 pages of this book and then decided to set it aside. The book is written in a very simplistic and childish style; so younger children might enjoy this book more than I did.

My 11 year old son tried to read this as well and gave it to me after one night saying "Mom, this just isn't very good. Maybe you will like it."

It's an interesting book. It’s full of sketches and maps and painted out sentences. The text for the sentences themselves are altered to be big or little or differently spaced depending on what the text is supposed to represent. At first I kind of enjoyed it, but it ended up being just too much going on. All the craziness on the page just completely distracts from the already somewhat boring story.

Overall I just couldn't stomach this one; the writing comes across as childish sounding and there is too much...stuff...going on on the pages. It might be okay for younger readers but I wouldn't recommend for middle grade and older readers. It’s a pity because the book (binding and pages) are very high quality and beautifully done. ( )
  krau0098 | May 22, 2018 |
A wizard boy with no magical power and a warrior princess with a forbidden magical object meet one night in a dark forest. There, they discover that an ancient, evil magic may not be as dead as both of their tribes believe.

This was a fun book. I listened to the audiobook, which I highly recommend. Not only is it narrated by David Tennant, but it has music and sound effects that really add to the story. ( )
  foggidawn | Apr 9, 2018 |
It was excellent and the best of the month, so far. I read this on audio narrated by David Tennant and his performance was awesome.
This is a very imaginative YA about witches, warriors and wizards and the battles between them. I love the two main characters (although Xar got on my nerves a touch) and really enjoyed Tennant's narration and his different voices for each character (especially Squeezjoos!)
Recommended on audio 4.5🌟 ( )
  ChelleBearss | Apr 6, 2018 |

Cowell, CressidaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
This book is dedicated to my son Xanny,
A Hero whose name begins with an 'X' (and doesn't).
Once there was Magic.

Mortal enemies
Xar and Wish team up to fight
an ancient evil.
(passion4reading)

Young wizard prince Xar, who has no magic, and warrior princess Wish, an outcast, team up on an adventure that brings them to witches long believed to be extinct.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,027,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible