Heart on Fire by Amanda Bouchet

skimmed it-it seems like a general repeat of the plot from previous books, maybe theres something i missed but I couldn't keep reading ( )
  otkac001 | Jan 20, 2019 |
Woah - it just finished! Flat finished. Still written up as quests to be got through but still, i started to like the lead characters and then it just finished once the 'evil queen' was vanquished. ( )
  libgirl69 | Oct 3, 2018 |
C

I'm really only in this to finish out the series. This one was okay, but if I had read it first I would not have bothered tracking down the other two. ( )
  fierce_bunny | May 23, 2018 |
Heart on Fire concludes the Kingmaker Chronicles series by Amanda Bouchet

I was hooked on the Kingmaker Chronicles series from the moment I read the first page of A Promise of Fire and each additional book has been a delight. I’m sad to see it end and I’d love to see a spin-off, because their are so many wonderful characters that have potential to do their own stories.

Heart on Fire starts right where Breath of Fire ends. So their is no time wasted in getting us back into the story and the coming war to deiced the fate of the lands. We are taking on an adventure, full of heart-break, enlightenment, and hope.

The book opens us to a very heart-breaking moment of betrayal that changes the lives of the Sinta family. For Griffin family is everything and to have one of your own betray you. Well, that leaves an everlasting impress on everyone. Cat has grown as a character and in Heart on Fire she has several realizes and enlightened moments, where she realizes her destiny, and that she is the personification of Hope for everyone.

Their is a lot more talking then action in this installment. It slowed things down a little for me. Everything has been leading up to Cat’s destiny. War is coming and not everyone will survive the war. I will say the ending battle happened with very little fanfare. I’m spoiled with the Andrews team and how they write their battle scenes, so I was a bit let down with how the whole ending battle turned out. It wasn’t written bad. It just didn’t have all the action-packed battle I was hoping for. Thou we do get some action battle scenes earlier in the book.

I have loved the friendships made with all the secondary characters we meet. I’m hoping we get spin-offs for several of the secondary characters. Their are so many wonderful possibilities and story threads to explore with all of them. Some things where left open on the secondary characters, so it gives me hope we might be returning to the Kingmaker world.

Heart on Fire is packed full of adventure going from one situation to another with no chance of letting go. I couldn’t stop reading and just kept turning the pages to see what would happen next.

To wrap it up, Heart on Fire, was a splendid read and a nice conclusion. I’m happy to see Cat and Griffen have a good ending. The whole series has been entertaining, the friendships and romance have been pleasurable, and the new world created by Bouchet is marvelous. All of this combined together gives us a fantastic new fantasy romance.

Rated: 4 Stars

** You do need to read the Kingmaker Chronicles in order.

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
The finale of the Kingmaker Chronicles is action-packed and really puts our heroes to the test. Cat is pregnant, has unreliable magic, and is building an army to defeat her mother who is the most evil of evil villains.

Cat's main problem is that she doesn't have confidence in her magic. All the people around her see her as the embodiment of hope for a new better future but she has her doubts. Those doubts are magnified when she finds out how much the gods have interfered with her life and with Griffin's.

When Griffin's brother Piers calls a god to ask him to take her away from Griffin, she learns that her main protector when she was a child was actually Ares, the god of war. Of course, Piers's actions don't go quite as he thought. He missed the part of the scroll that said "call a god, lose a soul." Since Ares won't take a pregnant Cat, he has to choose between Griffin, who the gods want right where he is, and Kaia, his own innocent younger sister. Griffin sees Piers's actions as a major betrayal of him and his family. When Piers is sent off with Athena, Griffin is angry and betrayed and has his faith in his family tested.

That is only one test the Cat and Griffin have to deal with here. When searching for a potion to make her unreliable magic more reliable, she and Griffin run into her mother who is posing as the hermit and, when poisoning her fails, throws her into a volcano. Only the sudden appearance of wings she didn't know she had save her. However, those same wings fail her when she is sent to Tartarus by Zeus for trying to assume a gods powers. Cat needs to finally believe that she has what is necessary for her magic to work reliably before she can escape and get back to Griffin.

This was a great conclusion to a series that has been filled with action, adventure and romance from the very beginning. I like the worldbuilding and I really like the characters in this series. I love the relationship between Cat and Griffin. Fans of epic fantasy won't want to miss this series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Feb 17, 2018 |

Catalia Fisa has been running from her destiny since she could crawl. Without Griffin--and apparently a few meddling gods--to push Cat along, she'd still be telling fortunes at the circus, lying about her past, ignoring her future, and living as far away from her tyrant mother as humanly possible. Cat has the power of the gods at her fingertips, and the only thing holding her back is herself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,416,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible