Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

Beneath the Sugar Sky

by Seanan McGuire

Series: Wayward Children (3)

Recently added byrena75, MikeHungerford, brs, JustMy

Okay, I'm dying for Christopher's story! ( )
  bulletproofheeb | Aug 12, 2019 |
The third Wayward Children book is definitely better than the second, but not as good as the first. In this one, four of the kids (all children who returned to Earth after visiting fantasy worlds via portals) go on a quest to resurrect a dead classmate, in order to ensure the existence of her future daughter-- who is on the quest with them. It's good, but not as good as it should be. McGuire's narrator likes to offer a lot of wise-sounding insight, but would benefit from being more attentive to character; each character has an elaborate backstory, but they often don't feel like they really matter, their actions in the present being kinda interchangeable, including the character who doesn't even want to be on a quest. It's entertaining, though (I like a portal-quest fantasy), and makes better use of the central concept than the second book did.
  Stevil2001 | Aug 2, 2019 |
Yet another sequel. This is the third instalment in the Wayward Children series, about which I know nothing… but can pretty much guess what it’s about from this novella alone. Think Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Sort of. But less clever. McGuire’s prose is so bland it rivals Gaiman’s. Except, that is, for the occasional flight of fancy, none of which actually work. The story is all “poor fat girl who is actually a princess in another reality” tagging along with some friends who try to help a fellow “wayward child” at a school for children who have spent time in other worlds and can’t cope in the real one. The central conceit is, I admit, quite neat, and McGuire clearly has a great deal of fun with it. But it all reads like poor-me fiction and a single idea stretched well past breaking point. The first volume in the series, Every Heart a Doorway, won the Hugo and Nebula awards in 2017, and I’m told it’s better than this one. And the second instalment, Down Among the Sticks and Bones, was nominated last year. But Beneath the Sugar Sky‘s presence on the shortlist says more about the power of McGuire’s fanbase than it does the quality of her fiction. ( )
  iansales | Aug 1, 2019 |
This I would have liked this even more if I had read the prequels. It made me want to hunt them out so not a bad thing overall.

When a girl falls into a pond beside some of the girls who want to be back in the watery worlds they found themselves in before and demands that they help her find her mother. But her mother is dead; before she can be a mother and they have to find her and bring her back, if they can at all, to save the world that would have been hers. Along the way they learn things about themselves and the worlds that attracted them and maybe now aren't as good a fit as they were.

It's an interesting concept; a place for those who find themselves displaced; a strangeness that warps their relationship with this world and plays with the tropes of those found worlds. This stood well enough alone for me but made me want to read the rest of the series. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 17, 2019 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cai, RovinaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugar, flour, and cinnamon won't make a house a home, / So bake your walls of gingerbread and sweeten them with bone. / Eggs and milk and whipping cream, butter in the churn, / Bake our queen a castle in the hopes that she'll return. -Children's Clapping Rhyme, Confection
For Midori, whose doorway is waiting
Children have always tumbled down rabbit holes, fallen through mirrors, been swept away by unseasonal floods or carried off by tornadoes.

Beneath the Sugar Sky returns to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children. At this magical boarding school, children who have experienced fantasy adventures are reintroduced to the "real" world. Sumi died years before her prophesied daughter Rini could be born. Rini was born anyway, and now she's trying to bring her mother back from a world without magic.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,368,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible