Design as Art (2019)

by Bruno Munari

An illustrated journey into the artistic possibilities of modern design, by the enfant terrible of Italian art and design for most of the twentieth century A Penguin Classic Bruno Munari was among the most inspirational designers of all time, described by Picasso as "the new Leonardo." Munari insisted that design be beautiful, functional and accessible, and this enlightening and highly entertaining book sets out his ideas about visual, graphic and industrial design and the role it plays in the objects we use everyday. Lamps, road signs, typography, posters, children's books, advertising, cars and chairs--these are just some of the subjects to which he turns his illuminating gaze.… (more)

A quote

‘Copying nature’ is one thing and understanding nature is another. Copying nature can be simply a form of manual dexterity that does not help us to understand, for it shows us things just as we are accustomed to seeing them. But studying the structures of nature, observing the evolution of forms, can give everyone a better understanding of the world we live in.

It's a gem!
1 vote iSatyajeet | Nov 21, 2018 |
A quote

It's a gem!
  iSatyajeet | Nov 21, 2018 |
This is a brilliant book. It is short and not an easy read. It is a book that does need to be read carefully, and picked up again from time to time.

Bruno clearly shows how design can be used as art, and he takes you through the initial design process, and then through applications and critiques with care.

The writing style is lucid, and clear.He also debunks many myths. What I like, is the complete lack of any pomposity in his writing, and the fact that through his book, I started to look at art and design with new eyes ( )
1 vote RajivC | Dec 27, 2015 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Do not combine with Design as Art by Design as Art by Aldo Tanchis; this is a book by Munari, the other a book about him.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,315,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible