A Dragon of a Different Color by Rachel…

A Dragon of a Different Color

by Rachel Aaron

This is the fourth book in the Heartstrikers series. The fifth book, Last Dragon Standing, just released and completes the series. I absolutely loved this continuation of the Heartstriker series. So many amazing things happen in this book; it is completely unpredictable and incredibly creative.

I listened to this on audiobook and these audiobooks are incredible. Adam does an amazing job with narration and sounds exactly like I picture the characters sounding. I think part of the reason I love this series so much is because of how amazing the narration of the audiobooks is.

Julius is struggling to hold Heartstriker clan together in the face of Algonquin’s wrath. When the Golden Emperor shows up things get infinitely more complicated. Meanwhile Marcy has died and is stuck in her Death, but she continues to work towards becoming the first Merlin. The story jumps back and forth between Julius and Marcy.

I pretty much just adored everything about this book. I love the complex world, the engaging characters, the action, the intrigue, and the hard-to-predict plot. This series is so creative and so well done. This is definitely one of my top urban fantasy series right now.

Overall I just love this series soooo much!! I plan on reading the fifth and final book in it shortly. I would recommend this whole series to urban fantasy fans who enjoy amazing world-building, action, and a complex plot. ( )
  krau0098 | Apr 16, 2018 |
the scaling felt a little rushed - and the descriptions a little exhausting - overall though a fun adventure ( )
  jason9292 | Mar 18, 2018 |
Really good shit! ( )
  JayKale | Mar 3, 2018 |
It’s official: The Heartstriker series is one of my all-time favorite urban fantasy series.

If you’re unfamiliar with the series, please do yourself a favor and start with the first book, Nice Dragons Finish Last. A Dragon of a Different Color is the fourth book in the series, and you’d be pretty confused if you started here. Also since book four picks up directly where book three left off (this entire series has taken place over the span of something like a month), spoilers for prior books are inevitable! So quit reading now or forever hold your peace.

Let’s get this review rolling and start with the biggest topic of them all: last book, Marci died. Only, dying is a bit more complicated than usual when you’re bonded to the spirit of the Forgotten Dead. Marci’s dead, but she might not be permanently dead. To get out, she’s got to become a Merlin, and she’ll need to beat Myron to the chase. I don’t want to say too much about this whole plot line, but I love how it allows Marci to shine and how it expands the world. We actually get to see the sea of magic that’s flowing into the world and creating spirits! That’s pretty darn cool.

On the downside, Marci and Julius were apart for most of the book. And he still thinks she’s dead! But he can’t spend all his time grieving for her like he’d want; instead, he’s got serious problems trying to keep his now democratic clan afloat. For one, Amelia’s dead, Bob’s killed her, and Svena’s left after the death of her best frenemy. The clan’s unprotected, Algonquin’s on a warpath, and to cap it all up, the Chinese dragons have landed on Heartstriker’s doorstep, demanding an immediate surrender. Now would be a really good time for Julius to figure out what happened with Chelsie in China…

Speaking of, how is it that Julius is so clueless about what Chelsie’s big secret was? It’s sooo obvious! Oh, well. Everything is revealed in this volume. Well, regarding Chelsie at least. I still have plenty of questions about what Bob’s up to. He’s clearly got some grand scheme, and he doesn’t seem to care if it results in his own death? I’m starting to question how much Bob actually cares about Julius versus seeing him as a tool. Somehow, I still have faith in Bob, and I think Julius does too. Let’s just hope that that faith doesn’t get betrayed any farther in book five.

And I need book five! I’m very happy that it’s coming out this year, because I want to read it ASAP. This series has been so amazing that I can’t imagine what the final volume has in store.

Review from The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Feb 19, 2018 |
A Dragon of a Different Color is the fourth in Rachel Aaron's Heartstriker series. Again the story picks up immediately were the last book left off. Which is good because that book ended on quite the bombshell. Mild spoilers for the previous book.

Just when Julius thought things couldn't get any worse. Given no time at all to grieve his losses, family mistakes from six centuries ago are coming back to haunt the Heartstrikers. Dragons live long lives and the Chinese clans have not forgotten the crimes committed by Bethesda's brood all those long years ago. The Golden Emperor himself has come to make them pay and he will accept nothing less than the full surrender of Heartstriker clan. In the meantime Algonquin has set her plans in motion to make it so land spirits will have ultimate supremacy as the magical force in the world. It's time for her rogue mage to make good on his promises to help out or die trying. As if that's not enough Bob has gone missing!

This is the book of big reveals and a lot of info dumping as a result. Good thing it's all fascinating! Again the story continues along the two plot threads from book 3. The chapters consistently alternate between Julius and Marcy's situations. While there are a couple of extra points of view thrown in they are mostly to bring everyone up to speed on all the information needed so our heroes can get on with saving the world. The Chinese dragons feel sufficiently different and I quite enjoyed the spin on the Emperor's mythos and magic. It's so hard not to go into spoilers. I'm also extremely happy where some of the story threads ended up, especially regarding Chelsie and F-clutch. Their stories tug on the heart strings.

I continue to admire the layered world building that Rachel Aaron has achieved. Each book brings something new that enhances what we've learned before. The information comes fast and furious, adding more urgency to a situation that's already spinning wildly out of control.

Given everything that's happened and all the set up, the final book is going to be one heck of a wild ride. I can't wait! And yet I must. The author posted on her blog that she's hoping to publish the fifth and final book early next year. Fingers crossed she's able to keep to that schedule. ( )
  Narilka | Oct 10, 2017 |

To save his family from his tyrannical mother, Julius had to step on a lot of tails. That doesn’t win a Nice Dragon many friends, but just when he thinks he’s starting to make progress, a new threat arrives. Turns out, things can get worse. Heartstriker hasn’t begun to pay for its secrets, and the dragons of China are here to collect. When the Golden Emperor demands his surrender, Julius will have to choose between loyalty to the sister who's always watched over him and preserving the clan he gave everything to protect.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible