Sleep No More: Six Murderous Tales by P. D.…

Sleep No More: Six Murderous Tales (2017)

by P. D. James

1981285,887 (4.01)14

A collection of six short mysteries by the late and great P.D. James: A chauffer seeks revenge on a bullying schoolmaster. A jilted husband plots the demise of the wealthy man who stole his gorgeous wife. A young boy visits an uncle at Christmas time as a potential new heir. A girl discovers the truth about her runaway father. A man covets a particularly lovely piece of country architecture. A pensioner manages to get his adult children to do what he wants. -- All of the stories are intriguing and enjoyable (from this source, how could they -not- be?), but I confess I had less a sense of satisfaction over these tales, because they all had one thing in common: the perpetrator of the crime 'gets away with it' (although punishment may come from a source other than the law). Still, a pleasant method in which to while away a winter's evening... ( )
1 vote David_of_PA | Jul 14, 2018 |
Enjoyable collection of classic British mysteries. ( )
  Doondeck | May 2, 2018 |
I’m not a fan of short stories, but these short stories by famed mystery writer, PD James, makes me think I’ve been wrong. These are great mysteries most with a twist at the end. ( )
  brangwinn | Mar 27, 2018 |
I think the ad copy oversells this one somewhat. True, five of the six stories are devoid of traditional "whodunit?" structure, and the one that remains isn't structured to allow readers in on all the clues (although, it must be fair, a lot of Golden Age mysteries are the same way). The idea that we are getting a glimpse of a murderer's mind - the "howdunit?" and the "whydunit?" - isn't as interesting as it sounds, though: three of the stories are first-person narratives of murder, plodding relentlessly and grimly toward their conclusion. They aren't particularly thrilling, although perhaps some readers other than myself will find them cathartic. One of the remaining two unwraps its secrets in the manner of a Gothic novel, or even a ghost story - fresh horrors with each new layer of the onion peeled away - and it is grim, grim, grim. The whole collection is, despite being a very quick read, quite dark. That matches up to my fading memories of having read two or three of P.D. James' Dalgliesh mysteries - and may explain why I didn't keep going, to be honest.

"The Murder of Santa Claus" is very engaging, although it takes the most comfortable tropes of a Christie-style mystery and makes them anxious and shrill, and "Mr. Millcroft's Birthday" has a wry sense of humor which I enjoyed. The other stories - if I were to be uncharitable - may have gone uncollected, up til now, for a reason. ( )
  saroz | Mar 24, 2018 |
I'm not a big fan of short stories but each of these had a delicious and surprising edge to it and I really liked them. ( )
  fhudnell | Mar 14, 2018 |

amazon ca:A holiday gift for all P. D. James fans to stand alongside her bestselling The Mistletoe Murder and Other Stories: six previously uncollected stories from the beloved "Queen of Crime"--swift, cunning murder mysteries from throughout her extraordinary career.

Put your feet up and enjoy a good read! Longtime P. D. James fans will devour these short tales of criminality and deception, each one a pleasure, evocative and engrossing. Including several stories originally published in magazines, this enchanting arrangement of memorable whodunits treats the reader to atmospheric storytelling, mysteries to be solved, and enjoyable puzzles that will keep you guessing. With wit and warmth, P. D. James pays tribute to her English crime-writing forebears, delighting in the dark secrets that lurk beneath the surface of quintessentially English settings.

Sleep No More is a beautifully produced, rare gift book, and an exciting addition to the P. D. James library, offering her devoted readers a glimpse of earlier work never before collected between two covers, and--for those who come newly to it--a delightful place to begin.

An anthology of six previously uncollected stories explores the memories, emotional machinations, rationalizations, dreams, and desires of people who get away with the perfect murder or who help keep information about a killing secret.--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,778,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible