Isle of Dogs

by Patricia Cornwell

Series: Andy Brazil & Judy Hammer (3)

Newly installed superintendent of the Virginia State Police, Judy Hammer, and her right hand and confidant, Andy Brazil, are at their wits' end trying to protect the public from the politicians - and vice versa. And amid the mayhem, an island off the coast of Virginia declares UDI - claiming its independence lies in the history of America's first settlers, those who set sail from London's Isle of Dogs in 1607.… (more)

English (22)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
I desperately tried to like this book. However, it just wasn't for me. Honestly, I didn't finish reading it. I guess talking crabs and her attempt at humor were just not for me. I'm not from Virginia, and have never had the opportunity to visit this state. However, I can only assume any Virginian would take great offense as to how the characters in this book were portrayed.

Maybe if I were stuck at home in a blizzard and this was the only book I had to read, I might have finished it. Fortunately, the snow has melted, the sun is shining, and there are more books to read! ( )
  AndreaHelena | May 21, 2021 |
A quietly, darkly humorous take on the usual Dr. Kay Scarpetta investigative murder mysteries. And while most of the humor is not the "laugh out loud" variety (until Trip, the seeing-eye mini-horse comes on the scene), this book and its characters throw out many humorous instances even in the dark parts.

As is usual with Cornwall's books, there are several threads going around: a string of unsolved murders and mayhem; a psychopath or several; a woman at the top of the Police Department; and a political player who works every angle to secure his position.

Add to this the arrangement of a young police/investigative officer who has gone on an extended leave of absence in order to research subjects for a proposed "Trooper Truth" website (as was common in the early days of the internet), a nearly blind governor whose intestines are riddled with discomfort, and the independently-minded folk of the Island of Tangiers, right off the Virginia coast, and you have ingredients for a wry look at mayhem and the impossible happening just the way we always hope it would. ( )
  threadnsong | May 3, 2020 |
Ugh... I finialy finished this one. Definitely not my favorite Patricia Cornwell book. I have read other of her off wall writing style and enjoyed them more than this one. This one was just a little too unrealistic for my taste. ( )
  Nathan.Osborn | Nov 6, 2018 |
Many twists + turns good mystery

Chaos breaks loose when the governor of Virginia orders that speed traps be painted on all streets and highways, and warns that speeders will be caught by monitoring aircraft flying overhead. But the eccentric island of Tangier, fourteen miles off the coast of Virginia in Chesapeake Bay, responds by declaring war on its own state. Judy Hammer, newly installed as the superintendent of the Virginia State Police, and Andy Brazil, a state trooper and Hammer’s right hand and confidant, find themselves at their wits’ end as they try to protect the public from the politicians—and vice versa—in this pitch-perfect, darkly comic romp.
  christinejoseph | Jul 31, 2016 |
A police mystery about the death of a child and the depraved people involved. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |

Patricia Cornwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Buzzard, MadelynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Friend and Publisher, Phyllis Grann
Unique First fit her name like a glove, or at least this was how her mother always put it.
ISBN 0399147616 is an abridged audio book. Please do not combine with the novel since they are not the same work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,241,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible