Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh

Let Me Lie (2018)

by Clare Mackintosh

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
Anna is struggling with the death of both of her parents within a few months of each other after they both committing suicide. On the anniversary of her mother’s death, she receives an anonymous card causing her to question whether it really was suicide.

It’s so hard to get into details without spoilers so this is going to be one of those books that you need to read for yourself as I would hate to spoil it for anyone. Also with all the drastically varying reviews on this book, I’d say it is best to make up your own mind, I personally feel like it was worth the read!

It is a definite slow-burn psychological thriller but it definitely picks up after part two so stick with it, it is well worth it.

Told from multiple narrators viewpoints the story alternates between Anna, an unknown, and a retired detective named Murray which I really loved. The twists were very well done with some that blindsided me in a really good way.

I read a lot of suspense thrillers so I am used to keeping everyone in the suspects column and generally it always ends up being the person you least expect, and yet knowing this, this book still caught me off guard 😀

When the truth does eventually come to light be prepared, you may need to dab at your eyes 😂

I would definitely recommend it to any suspense/thriller lover regardless of other people’s reviews/opinions. Read it for yourself as it is one you will have to make your on mind up!

Grab a copy of Let Me Lie now and see for yourself! Out now in e-book and hardback with the paperback edition due to be published on 27th December 2018 in the UK.

Many thanks to the author Clare Mackintosh, publishers Little, Brown Book Group UK and NetGalley for my copy in exchange for an honest, independent review. ( )
  DebTat2 | Nov 21, 2018 |
A twisted game of Clue. My first Clare Mackintosh novel but not my last. Many thanks to Goodreads and Berkeley Pub who supplied the book for an honest review. ( )
  michelynn2016 | Nov 20, 2018 |
Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh tells the story of Anna Johnson whose parents have both supposedly committed suicide. Anna now has a baby and she has been trying to get her life back together. Her partner, Mark, is very supportive as well as her Uncle Billy and a family friend, Laura. The story opens close to the year anniversary of her mother’s death when Anna receives an anonymous card indicating that her mother did not commit suicide.

Anna is uncomfortable enough about receiving the card that she goes to the police and enlists the help of retired police detective, Murray. More terrorizing events unfold causing Anna to ask further questions about her parents’ deaths. She becomes more suspicious and more fearful with each passing day as Murray carries on his investigation. The answers they find might have been better left in the past.

Interspersed through the book is the story of Murray and his wife, Sarah who suffers from depression. It is a welcome and well placed interlude from Anna’s story. And as a side story it sheds more light onto mental illness and suicides.

The plot is full of twist and turns taking the reader on a ride throughout the entire book. Mackintosh is successful as she leads the reader astray until the final plot reveal. However, one note I would make is I feel the statements made by the “dead” narrator in the first part of the book are a little bit confusing. The story is loaded with suspense and secrets. The main characters are well developed. And the themes of suicide and mental illness are well handled.

I would recommend this book as a psychological thriller with a fairly well-developed plot. But I still believe her first book I Let You Go is her best.

This review is written after reading the ARC courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Read this while on the run from Hurricane Florence. Good thriller. Some nice touches. ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 19, 2018 |
There is an excellent book hiding in this novel. The introduction is a long, meandering slog. Extraneous characters are introduced. The pace picks up midway, but the biggest step to the solution just appears. If this was the author's debut novel, it might be passable, but as it's her third, its not encouraging. ( )
1 vote MM_Jones | Aug 9, 2018 |
De dood past me niet.
Drie mensen kunnen een geheim bewaren, als twee van hen dood zijn.

- Benjamin Franklin

"Two years ago, Tom and Caroline Johnson committed suicide, one seemingly unable to live without the other. Their adult daughter Anna is struggling to come to terms with her parents' deaths, unable to comprehend why they chose to end their lives. Now with a young baby herself, she feels her mother's presence keenly and is determined to find out what really happened to her parents. But as Anna digs up the past, someone is trying to stop her. She soon learns that nothing is as it seemed"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,773,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible