Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh

Let Me Lie (2018)

by Clare Mackintosh

English (30)  Dutch (1)  All languages (31)
Suicide...or murder?

I finished this a while ago and decided I'd wait until I'd heard the author talk at our annual Lit Fest, before writing my review - never a good idea as that was several months ago and now I wonder if I can do it justice.

What struck me most about listening to the author, was that she'd been a police officer herself, and knew first-hand, exactly how things worked behind the scenes. She also told us that the reason she left the force, was because she felt she was giving more of herself to her job than her family. When the reality of this dawned, she decided it was time to call it a day. Now we get to enjoy her writing instead.

So, on to the the book. The main character is Anna Johnson, a new mother whose father had committed suicide the previous year, closely followed by her mother. The loss of her mother, in particular, is bothering her now that she has a child of her own. If only she could share the experience with the one person who would understand. On the one year anniversary of her mother's death a strange card arrives, with the three words: "Suicide? Think again".

There is also a side story relating to the detective who investigates the case after Anna comes into the police station, convinced that her mother did not kill herself. Murray has retired, he's only supposed to be working on the reception desk, but he can't resist getting involved. His story runs alongside that of Anna's and, I have to confess, is the more believable of the two.

At first I thought this was heading towards being a ghost story and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. But persevere, it got better and sped up as I progressed, until the ending rattled towards me, almost faster than I could keep up.
Most of the story is told by Anna, but there were some interesting additions and other POVs from a few of the other characters too.

I was listening to this, rather than reading it, and I feel that the narrator, Gemma Whelan, deserves a mention here too. She did such a good job that I forgot I that was being read to.

This novel covers issues of mental illness and domestic violence and was a good read. It was my first book by the author but I'm sure it won't be my last. ( )
  DubaiReader | Jul 6, 2019 |
I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Claire Mackintosh does not disappoint with this new thriller, she is my new fave author of this genre! Let me start by saying whatever you think you know about someones marriage, think again because you never really know the exact truth about anyone. I am going to be a bit vague on details because it is a bit difficult review this book without giving away spoilers. This story is told form a few POV's which I thought added to the overall mystery. Anna is still reeling from her parents suicide when she receives a cryptic note that makes her question whether or not it was a suicide. Not only was this an unbelievable, what the heck is really going on with Ann'a parents book, it also touches on a few topics like suicide, depression and alcoholism which the author does a great job of not making light of these issues. Anna's life seems to just come apart at the seams, she even starts to question her marriage as well. Yes I loved this book and the ending was a total shock to me. This book is perfect for all of you Thriller/Suspense junkies out there.This review was originally posted on My Fiction Obsession ( )
  fictionalblonde | Apr 10, 2019 |
Anna is sure that her parents were murdered. When she receives an Anniversary card on the first anniversary of her mother's death insinuating that she did not commit suicide, she goes to the police. As the civilian clerk, retired DI Murray Mackenzie starts an off the books investigation, more messages are sent to Anna. This book was full of twists and turns that brought on suspense and psychological questions. Anna was a great character who just wanted to find out what happened to her parents. I did not suspect what had happened until the final reveal and it was a dandy. I have not read any other books by Clare Mackintosh, but I will in the future. I give this book a solid 4 stars. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Let Me Lie is a novel about Anna Johnson who has lost both her parents to suicide. As the anniversary of her mother's death approaches, Anna is struggling to find answers as to why they would commit suicide. A new mother, Anna is dealing with her new baby and her partner, Mark, when some clues surface surrounding her parents' deaths. Anna begins to wonder what is real and what is in her mind.
This novel will keep you guessing. There are many ways in which Clare Mackintosh steers you to think one thing and cleverly conceals what is actually true. The author keeps you interested through her deception and shocks you with the ending.
#LetMeLie #ClareMackintosh ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Anna is struggling with the death of both of her parents within a few months of each other after they both committing suicide. On the anniversary of her mother’s death, she receives an anonymous card causing her to question whether it really was suicide.

It’s so hard to get into details without spoilers so this is going to be one of those books that you need to read for yourself as I would hate to spoil it for anyone. Also with all the drastically varying reviews on this book, I’d say it is best to make up your own mind, I personally feel like it was worth the read!

It is a definite slow-burn psychological thriller but it definitely picks up after part two so stick with it, it is well worth it.

Told from multiple narrators viewpoints the story alternates between Anna, an unknown, and a retired detective named Murray which I really loved. The twists were very well done with some that blindsided me in a really good way.

I read a lot of suspense thrillers so I am used to keeping everyone in the suspects column and generally it always ends up being the person you least expect, and yet knowing this, this book still caught me off guard 😀

When the truth does eventually come to light be prepared, you may need to dab at your eyes 😂

I would definitely recommend it to any suspense/thriller lover regardless of other people’s reviews/opinions. Read it for yourself as it is one you will have to make your on mind up!

Grab a copy of Let Me Lie now and see for yourself! Out now in e-book and hardback with the paperback edition due to be published on 27th December 2018 in the UK.

Many thanks to the author Clare Mackintosh, publishers Little, Brown Book Group UK and NetGalley for my copy in exchange for an honest, independent review. ( )
  DebTat2 | Nov 21, 2018 |
De dood past me niet.
Drie mensen kunnen een geheim bewaren, als twee van hen dood zijn.

- Benjamin Franklin

"Two years ago, Tom and Caroline Johnson committed suicide, one seemingly unable to live without the other. Their adult daughter Anna is struggling to come to terms with her parents' deaths, unable to comprehend why they chose to end their lives. Now with a young baby herself, she feels her mother's presence keenly and is determined to find out what really happened to her parents. But as Anna digs up the past, someone is trying to stop her. She soon learns that nothing is as it seemed"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,365,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible