Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh

Let Me Lie

by Clare Mackintosh

Let Me Lie is the third book from Clare Mackintosh. I devoured the suspense and twists in her first two books and was eager to dig into this latest.

Anna's parents both committed suicide within a year. On the one year anniversary of her mother's death, someone drops a card through her mail slot. Inside is a cryptic message ... "Suicide? Think again."

Anna always questioned their deaths. The bodies were never found and she can't believe her beloved mother would leave her. She decides to check in with the local constabulary on the case. Retired detective Murray Mackenzie is on the desk, now working in a civilian capacity. But old instincts die hard and he decides to look into the case further - on his own.

Murrary ended up being my favourite character. His personal story (his wife is mentally ill) was very well depicted and drew this reader in. Their relationship and how Murray copes were some of my favourite bits of the book. He's kind and intelligent as well as being a clever investigator. Anna's emotions and mental health are also explored. However, I wasn't as drawn to Anna, despite her being the lead character. I questioned some of her actions and decisions plot wise. But on the flip side, without some of those decisions, we wouldn't have as many questions and avenues to explore. Mackintosh does give us lots of characters that may or may not have suspicious motives, keeping us guessing.

Interspersed are italicized chapters from, well, someone. These are deliberately vague and let the reader decide who it might be. In the beginning, these missives had me thinking things were going to unfold in a certain way (one I wasn't interested in). (Sorry, being deliberately obtuse. )As these entries continue, more and more detail is added, so that their identity becomes evident and the direction changes. Clues to the past are found in these narratives.

Let Me Lie was not as fast paced as the first two novels. I found the first part of the book to be a bit of a slow burn. Things do pick up in the last few chapters and one last final twist was a real 'gotcha'!Read an excerpt of Let Me Lie. I'll be watching for Mackintosh's next book. ( )
  Twink | Mar 19, 2018 |
Let Me Lie is a true psychological thriller. The suspense, the mystery, the secrets all feed into the story keeping the reader guessing as to what will happen next. There were so many twists and turns that I found myself wanting to skip ahead and see where they were heading. And oh the lies… so many lies. Lies on top of lies on top of lies. Sounds like it could get confusing but it was just the opposite. They all played into the story perfectly.

The story is told from multiple points of views. I loved that one of the points of view was unidentified. This kept me guessing as who was telling their story without revealing themselves. From the different voices it was fun to try to tell who was lying, who was telling the truth, and who was telling the story as they knew it whether truthful or not.

If you are looking for a psychological thriller full of twists and moment that will make you stop and think…Let Me Lie is the book for you.
  Charlotte_Lynn | Mar 16, 2018 |
Both parents committing suicide at the same exact spot seven months apart seemed a bit strange. Anna extremely missed both her parents but didn't know how much until a horrible reminder arrived in the mail.

This horrible reminder had Anna rethinking the possibility that her parents really didn't commit suicide but had been murdered. She never thought her parents would kill themselves and leave her without them.

Anna asked for the case to be reopened, and a retired policeman, Murray, was taking on the job.

No one knew Anna had asked for this case to be re-opened, but it sure seemed as if they did. Strange things started happening that even her husband dismissed. Was she in danger too?

Meanwhile we have another voice being heard in the book. The voice is the voice of Anna's mother watching Anna and being elated that she has a grandchild and also not very happy that Anna was digging into papers that might put Anna in danger depending upon what she would find.

Anna’s mother does some odd things like going into the house when it is empty and looking for things and specifically a key. What could the key be, why is it important to her, and how is she in the house if she is dead?

After this, the intrigue began...secrets were being revealed, impossible things happening, ghosts, seeing things that couldn't be there, feeling her mother’s presence, and the reader wondering what Anna’s mother was looking for and what she was trying to protect Anna from or protect herself from.

LET ME LIE has GREAT twists and is another Clare Mackintosh book you won't want to miss. You won't see it coming and ask yourself how you missed it.

The tension at the end makes this one her best yet. 5/5

This book was given to me free of charge by the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  SilversReviews | Mar 14, 2018 |
I was so looking forward to reading this book! I loved the first two books by this author. I thought they were gripping and pulled me in right away.

This book, not so much. There were too many distractions for me. Pages and pages about Sarah who I really did not care for did not add to my reading enjoyment.

At one point, I did think, and glad to see I was wrong, that one narrator was coming back from the dead as a ghost.

This was just an okay book for me. I just wish there had been more suspense and less of the mundane.

Thanks to Berkley Publishing Group and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Mar 12, 2018 |
The police say it was suicide.
Anna says it was murder.
They’re both wrong.

One year ago, Caroline Johnson chose to end her life brutally: a shocking suicide planned to match that of her husband just months before. Their daughter, Anna, has struggled to come to terms with their loss ever since.

Now with a young baby of her own, Anna misses her mother more than ever and starts to question her parents’ deaths. But by digging up their past, she’ll put her future in danger. Sometimes it’s safer to let things lie…

The stunning, twisty new psychological thriller from number one bestseller Clare Mackintosh, author of I Let You Go and I See You.

I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

hmmm… first person perspective for a thriller…

Okay, I know that many people will love the fact that this is written in the first person, but, I’m not one of them. I find first-person daunting and makes me think the person talking isn’t really part of the story, if that makes sense. When I read a thriller, I want to see all that’s going on through the author’s eyes, but when written from first person, the only perspective you see, is that of the person talking.

I think it’s very limiting. Anyway, with all that said, Clare Mackintosh has a type of voice that flows and expands bringing you along and to new heights, one rung on the ladder at a time. She is clear and precise, leaves just a bit to the reader’s imagination but prefers to fill in many blanks and offer the end result to the reader in such a way that there is only one way of looking at the situation. I’ve enjoyed her work before. This story… although full of plot twists and turns to keep you invested in the story and emotionally engaged, was somewhat predictable.

She does provide strong character development, interesting settings and a clear path that leads to a heightened climax and resolution. She adds degrees of realism, and edgy thrill ride, and a mastery of deception to her stories. But, there is only so many ways an author can write the same story… and I feel this has all been done before. ( )
  JLSlipak | Mar 6, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,029,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible