Standing in the Rainbow (2002)

by Fannie Flagg

Series: Elmwood Springs, Missouri (2)

Along with Neighbor Dorothy, the lady with the smile in her voice, whose daily radio broadcasts keep us delightfully informed on all the local news, we also meet Bobby, her ten-year-old son, destined to live a thousand lives, most of them in his imagination; Norma and Macky Warren and their ninety-eight-year-old Aunt Elner; the oddly sexy and charismatic Hamm Sparks and the two women who love him as differently as night and day. Then there is Tot Whooten; Beatrice Woods, the Little Blind Songbird; Cecil Figgs, the Funeral King; and the fabulous Minnie Oatman. The time is 1946 until the present. The town is Elmwood Springs, Missouri, right in the middle of the country, in the midst of the mostly joyous transition from war to peace, aiming toward a dizzyingly bright future.… (more)

English (38)  Dutch (1)  All languages (39)
Another Fannie Flagg winner. Happy, sad, just like life. Fannie's people experience life's sings and arrows, just like the rest of us, and sometimes they come out whole and sometimes not. But no complaints from me, the good guys keep the upper hand. Fannie's books are a series of sorts, but lucky us they can be read in any order so you pick up any one you find without worrying about what came before.
  thosgpetri | Mar 9, 2021 |
What a delicious book to read! So many wonderful characters living in Elmwood Springs, Missouri. Dorothy, who does a 1/2 hour radio show every day at 9:30 am, her children Anna Lee & Robert, her husband Doc (the local pharmacist) and all of the neighbors, friends, etc.
Such a heart-warming book with good and bad. You are taken into decades of peoples lives and you fall in love with everything that they do in growing. ( )
  JReynolds1959 | Apr 17, 2020 |
Another book about nothing... but in Fanny Flagg fashion! ( )
  nwieme | Mar 19, 2020 |
An absolutely adorable book, makes me so sad I didn't grow up in Elmwood Springs listening to Neighbor Dorothy on the radio. I didn't realize it was part of a series. I had already read "Welcome to the Word Baby Girl." Now I need to go and find the third one. ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
I liked the first part was good but I did not like how the husband was dishonest and used his wife for his own gain. ( )
  dbailey25 | Nov 25, 2019 |

Fannie Flaggprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ohletz, MonikaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Eudora Welty and Willie Morris
To the Public at Large:
As a character in this book I can tell you that everything in it really did happen, so I can highly recommend it without any qualms whatsoever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,325,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible