Vanishing Acts (2005)

by Jodi Picoult

Life is going well for Delia Hopkins. She has a daughter and a fiancé, and with her search-and-rescue bloodhound, she helps find missing persons. But as she plans for her wedding, she is haunted by inexplicable flashbacks to a devastating time she cannot recall.

English (109)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (114)
I liked the "theme" of the book...but I found it mostly annoying (jail, Hopi Indian s,Judge....). ( )
  dmurfgal | Dec 9, 2022 |
I really enjoyed the romance, what I felt were realistic scenes from the jail, but I did not like the Indian legends. Picoult's books always draw you in.
1 like ( )
  dara85 | Nov 16, 2022 |
When I began this book I couldn't put it down. I loved learning about Delia and her search and rescue company with her bloodhound Greta. Delia has a finance named Eric and a wonderful friend named Fritz. They have all grown up together and have been friends forever. You learn early that Delia was told her Mom was killed in a car crash and it has just been her and her dad since the accident. They have always had a very close relationship. All of a sudden the police show up and her dad; Andrew is arrested for kidnapping. The kidnapped victim is Delia herself!
It was decided that Eric; Delia's fiancé who is a lawyer will represent Andrew. Soon the case is moved to Arizona and Delia, Eric, and Fritz go out there to be near Andrew as the case develops. Here is where I loved the book and hated it at the same time! The prison scenes were too graphic and ridiculous at times. Also there was so much Hopi Indian history, that sometimes I just lost what the story was about.
As the case developed and Delia was able to meet her Mom, the book definitely kept my interest. I am glad I read the book, but at times I wanted to throw it across the room..... .I guess that's what makes a good book! ( )
  ShellyQ | Aug 16, 2022 |
Another one that I couldn't put down. Really makes you think about the reasons that a parent kidnapping their own child for what they think is better may or may not be a good solution. ( )
  WellReadSoutherner | Apr 6, 2022 |
I really enjoyed this book but gave it 4 stars as I felt that there were parts of the book that didn't need to be there. ( )
  Alison74 | Feb 16, 2021 |

Jodi Picoultprimary authorall editionscalculated
Timmermann, KlausTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
What other words, we may almost ask, are memorable and worthy to be repeated than those which love has inspired? It is wonderful that they were ever uttered. They are few and rare indeed, but, like a strain of music, they are incessantly repeated and modulated by memory. All other words crumble off with the stucco which overlies the heart. We should not dare to repeat these now aloud. We are not competent to hear them at all times. - Henry David Thoreau, 'A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers,' 1849
This one is for Katie Desmond,

who fed me Oreos for breakfast on my wedding day,

appreciates the fashion sense of blue suede shoes,

and knows just how many people died that first night out on the
QEII.

Every once in a while, a person's lucky enough to

make an unforgettable friend: you're it, for me.
I was six years old the first time I disappeared.
Memories aren’t stored in the heart or in the head or even the soul, if you ask me, but in the spaces between any two given people.
Sometimes, when you don't ask questions, it's not because you are afraid that someone will lie to your face.  It's because you're afraid they'll tell you the truth.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,402,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible