Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani…

Aru Shah and the End of Time (2019)

by Roshani Chokshi

Best-selling author Rick Riordan introduces this adventure by Roshani Chokshi about twelve-year-old Aru Shah, who has a tendency to stretch the truth in order to fit in at school. While her classmates are jetting off to family vacations in exotic locales, she'll be spending her autumn break at home, in the Museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture, waiting for her mom to return from her latest archeological trip. Is it any wonder that Aru makes up stories about being royalty, traveling to Paris, and having a chauffeur? One day, three schoolmates show up at Aru's doorstep to catch her in a lie. They don't believe her claim that the museum's Lamp of Bharata is cursed, and they dare Aru to prove it. Just a quick light, Aru thinks. Then she can get herself out of this mess and never ever fib again. But lighting the lamp has dire consequences. She unwittingly frees the Sleeper, an ancient demon whose duty it is to awaken the God of Destruction. Her classmates and beloved mother are frozen in time, and it's up to Aru to save them. The only way to stop the demon is to find the reincarnations of the five legendary Pandava brothers, protagonists of the Hindu epic poem, the Mahabharata, and journey through the Kingdom of Death. But how is one girl in Spider-Man pajamas supposed to do all that?… (more)

This is one of those "It's definitely not you, it's me"

Sorry Aru Shah, you're trying too hard 😔
  hinfatuation | Dec 4, 2019 |
DNF after two-ish hours

This was one of my most anticipated reads, so I was really disappointed when it didn't work out. I went into this one thinking it would have a Percy Jackson-vibe, but it's not fair to compare the two. Also, children are mean. Her "friends" from school were a horrible influence, and treated Aru with disinterest and cruelty. Aru lies nonstop, but if that wasn't bad enough... she's also given up what she enjoys so she can impress kids that will never accept her.

I thought the author wove a lot of rich history and mythology into this story, which I found fascinating, but Aru was just unlikable. She wanted the rich, popular kids to like her, so she sacrificed pieces of herself to do it. Even when they weren't around, she had unkind thoughts about her "sister" and companions. She didn't like it when people whispered about her heritage and clothing, but she was more than willing to pick someone else apart. Bratty is how I would describe Aru.

Maybe she grows throughout the story... I don't know. I didn't stick around to find out. The gods and goddesses were equally as childish, and offered no real incentive for me to continue the story. They've been around for centuries, but kindness is beyond the realm of possibility.

Again, I really wanted to like this one, and I've seen a lot of positive reviews for it (see Nicole's from Feed Your Fiction Addiction), but it wasn't a good fit for me.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on September 30, 2018. ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 11, 2019 |
Aru Shah is a 12-year-old girl with a tendency to tell elaborate lies in an effort to fit in at her new, upper-class school, and conceal the fact that she and her mom live at the Museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture, where her mom works. But when three of her classmates show up at her home, Aru feels compelled to do something impressive. So, she lights the cursed Lamp of Bharata and unwittingly releases the Sleeper, whose job it is to awaken the God of Destruction. Now it’s up to her to save the world.

What I liked: I love mythology and this book did not disappoint. I enjoyed reading about Hindu myths (so many books weave in Greek mythology, it’s nice to read about different deities). The side characters were fun and unique, and the storyline was fun and adventurous.

What I did not like: the main character. I just never connected to her like I normally do with main characters. For the first fifty pages or so, I actually didn’t like her, but I thought I would grow to like and connect with her as I did with Artemis Fowl (who I also didn’t like at the beginning of the first book), but it just didn’t happen for me.

Still, a good read for those who enjoy mythology. ( )
  AlbaArango | Jul 2, 2019 |
This novel is book one of the Pandava Quartet.

Aru isn’t well liked at school; she lies a lot. She’s that weird kid that you know you should be nice to, but you think she should be a bit more normal and life would be easier for her. To impress some kids, she accidentally releases a powerful being while proving the Lamp of Bharata is cursed. Oh dear! She learns that she is a secret warrior and there are others who will have to join her to defeat the force. Her mother has lied to her! No help there--mom is now frozen as are the three students she was showing the lamp to and everyone else in the near vicinity. She has a limited amount of time to get the being back where it belongs.

The Sleeper, aka God of Destruction, has been released. There were five Pandava Brothers who were legends. Aru is one “reincarnation”. She finds another, Mini, who also has the soul of one of these brothers. Aru, in her spider man pajamas, and tiny Mini do not seem like warriors, but the world is depending on them. The novel has them on a journey. They meet other gods, have adventures, must prove themselves, and then see if they can truly put the Sleeper to sleep again.

I need to admit that I had a hard time concentrating on this novel. It is solid 4th - 6th grade, although some 7th and 8th graders will find it fun. Maybe I wasn’t in the mood, but this novel isn’t really something that appeals to me, but it will appeal to many of you who like adventure and learning about other culture’s myths. ( )
  acargile | Jun 26, 2019 |
This is a fun middle grade novel that provides an introduction to Indian mythology. Aru Shah is a spunky seventh-grader with an active imagination that gets her in trouble. Her adventure is enjoyable to be part of and Roshani Chokshi’s writing is immersive.

In addition to the traditional folklore, Aru Shah and the End of Time is full of modern pop culture references. I find this disappointing because it dates the book and I don’t think it will age well, which makes me sad. I’d love to see a middle grade book with amazing, fun female leads and an interesting, complex mythology like this one that was timeless. ( )
  DGRachel | Apr 2, 2019 |
The problem with growing up around highly dangerous things is that after a while you just get used to them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,490,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible