Iron and Magic

by Ilona Andrews

Series: The Iron Covenant (1), Kate Daniels World (9.5), Kate Daniels (side story, 9.5)

"No day is ordinary in a world where Technology and Magic compete for supremacy ... But no matter which force is winning, in the apocalypse, a sword will always work. Hugh d'Ambray, Preceptor of the Iron Dogs, Warlord of the Builder of Towers, served only one man. Now his immortal, nearly omnipotent master has cast him aside. Hugh is a shadow of the warrior he was, but when he learns that the Iron Dogs, soldiers who would follow him anywhere, are being hunted down and murdered, he must make a choice: to fade away or to be the leader he was born to be. Hugh knows he must carve a new place for himself and his people, but they have no money, no shelter, and no food, and the necromancers are coming. Fast. Elara Harper is a creature who should not exist. Her enemies call her Abomination; her people call her White Lady. Tasked with their protection, she's trapped between the magical heavyweights about to collide and plunge the state of Kentucky into a war that humans have no power to stop. Desperate to shield her people and their simple way of life, she would accept help from the devil himself--and Hugh d'Ambray might qualify. Hugh needs a base, Elara needs soldiers. Both are infamous for betraying their allies, so how can they create a believable alliance to meet the challenge of their enemies? As the prophet says: "It is better to marry than to burn." Hugh and Elara may do both"--Back cover.… (more)
    Blood Heir by Ilona Andrews (JoBass)
    JoBass: Both Blood Heir and Iron and Magic are spin-offs from the Kate Daniels series, yet each has their own, unique flavor.

Before you beginning. You need to read the Kate Daniels series first. The Iron Covenant is a spin-off with Hugh d’Ambray, Preceptor of the Iron Dogs, & Warlord of the Builder of Towers from the Kate Daniels series. Once you do read Kate Daniels; Iron and Magic is best read after Magic Binds and before the final installment in the series, Magic Triumphs.

Now onto Iron and Magic.

I had fun with this novel. Hugh is such an interesting character. Here we see him down in the dumps. His Iron Dogs are being hunted like dogs. He’s at his lowest. If you’ve read Kate Daniels, you know that Hugh was Roland’s Warlord, until Roland took away his power and position. I loved and hated Hugh, but here I got to see deeper into the man. Here we get to see him come to terms with what he did and find out who he is. It’s self-discovery. Something he never had a chance to do when in Roland’s power.

"This new life, it was just his. Hugh didn’t owe it to anyone. He was building it himself, brick by brick, one shovel of cement at a time, the same way he had built that damn moat. He was building his own castle, and for better or worse, the harpy wormed her way into his world and became its tower."

Elara Harper the White Lady. She’s powerful in her own right, but it’s a power that can consume her if she is not carful. Many fear her and what she is. When we meet her it's during a time when she needs a buffer; between her people and those seeking to take the land, the home, they have claimed.

"There were two monsters in this hallway, he was one and she was the other, both of them horrible in their own ways."

Elara and Hugh form an alliance with old traditions; a marriage, not of love, but of convince and necessity. The romance/love is not their yet, but you can see they are building and working towards that. They have a way's to go and I like the direction it is taking. I’m not totally sold on the romance, but I can see it coming. They have a lot to over come, work on, and it will take time. I feel it’s good for both of them.

"And yet they clashed against each other like fire and ice."

What pulled me in was digging deeper into the Iron Dogs, Hugh, and Elara. I love the character building and see who these people are and what makes them tick. I also had a lot of fun with the banter; between Elara and Hugh. As always their is no shortage of action, amazing battle scenes and battle strategies. We get conflict on so many different fronts and more then one enemy to battle.

The Andrews team does a famous job of pulling you in and making their scenes and world come alive. Iron and Magic is a treat, especially for fans of the Kate Daniels series. I can’t wait to see what comes next.

Rated: 4 Stars

Audio 2020: OMG! This was my first listen to Hugh's story. It was so good. I picked up things I missed the first time around. I loved the voices. Steve West was perfect for this book.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
Cross posted to my blog https://wordpress.com/post/thesebooksaremyfriends.wordpress.com/147:

How excited was I to see this book pop-up on Twitter as available for ARC reading? It's no secret that I love Ilona Andrews, especially the Kate Daniels universe so to see a book set in the same world was like candy, give it to me now!!

Iron and Magic focuses on Hugh D'Ambray, part of the big bad against Kate and Curran in that series. But there's something about Hugh in all his assholery that is appealing to readers, me included. Be warned, do not read this book until you have made it through all the books with Kate and Curran first (not including the one that is yet to come out). Otherwise there are spoilers for events in those books that you probably don't want to know second-hand.

Anyway, this book was action packed from word one. One of the things I love most about this writing duo is that they write strong women. And Hugh needs a woman who can hold their own if he's going to be in a relationship. These two have chemistry and even when they are trading barbs, you can see that when they finally give in, it's going to be epic. And it was. I might have needed a fan after that one.

The world building continues to be stellar and I cannot wait to find out more about Elara and her crew as this story continues. I immediately wanted more when the book ended but I know I will have to wait a long long time for that. It's okay, it's worth it.

Lots of action, lots of banter, loads of slow burn/explosive relationships. All in all, 4 out of 5 stars for this one, my friends. It's a must read, especially if you love this universe. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Loved it! Hugh was always such an inigma in the main series that I'm glad he's being complicated and fleshed out as a character. I love that the authors bring in so many strains of lore; I can't wait to find out what Elara is. ( )
  Bodagirl | Mar 9, 2021 |
Well, there's a character I never expected to feel any sympathy for. Still don't like, but impressed nevertheless. Very well constructed, and the new half to the lead is pretty darn nifty. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
IRON AND MAGIC IS THE FIRST IN THE IRON COVENANT SERIES BY ILONA ANDREWS. I loved every minute of it! I realize this series is filed under the Fantasy genre but I myself would have filed it under Humor/Fantasy. Listening to Hugh and Elara mix it up as "man and wife" was just great. "harpi" says Hugh. "bastard" says Elara ,yet when the bad guys attack the two of them along with the Iron Dogs and Elara's people fight side by side,slash by slash and magic by magic. I cant wait to find more of the d'Ambray/Harper series.

Hugh d'Ambray and his Iron dogs need food/shelter and a new reputation. The Iron Dogs and Hugh have been portrayed as traitors/murderers and many other nasty names.
Elara Harper has food/shelter and is running a community and making a hefty profit but she needs protection. When Hugh comes up with the idea of a "marriage" Elara makes sure she sets the rules. And the makes sure she can break the rules at any time. Hugh thinks Elara is a pushover,we know the story, guy thinks girl is weak and stupid but Hugh has got that totally 100% wrong!

What a great listen. The audio is over 10 hours long but it sure doesnt seem that long. ( )
  DDJTJ1 | Feb 25, 2021 |
added by AoifeT | editDear Author, Kaetrin (Jul 26, 2018)

Andrews, IlonaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Kate Daniels (side story, 9.5)
“Wake up!”

No day is ordinary in a world where Technology and Magic compete for supremacy…But no matter which force is winning, in the apocalypse, a sword will always work.

Hugh d’Ambray, Preceptor of the Iron Dogs, Warlord of the Builder of Towers, served only one man. Now his immortal, nearly omnipotent master has cast him aside. Hugh is a shadow of the warrior he was, but when he learns that the Iron Dogs, soldiers who would follow him anywhere, are being hunted down and murdered, he must make a choice: to fade away or to be the leader he was born to be. Hugh knows he must carve a new place for himself and his people, but they have no money, no shelter, and no food, and the necromancers are coming. Fast.

Elara Harper is a creature who should not exist. Her enemies call her Abomination; her people call her White Lady. Tasked with their protection, she's trapped between the magical heavyweights about to collide and plunge the state of Kentucky into a war that humans have no power to stop. Desperate to shield her people and their simple way of life, she would accept help from the devil himself—and Hugh d’Ambray might qualify

As the prophet says: “It is better to marry than to burn.”

Hugh and Elara may do both.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,325,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible