Zig Zag by Jose Carlos Somoza

Zig Zag

by Jose Carlos Somoza

Elisa, a young physics professor, has a terrible secret? a secret she's been hiding for ten years, one which torments her every day. While an advanced physics graduate student at one of the most prestigious universities in Europe, Elisa was invited to join an elite research team working on manipulating String Theory, making it possible to witness images of the past as if they were happening? "live," According to the team's groundbreaking research, they theorized that the possibility of witnessing the past? viewing such milestone events as the crucifixion of Christ, or the earth when dinosaurs still roamed? was no longer a theory, but actually possible. But the team's experiments resulted in something much more frightening and dangerous than any of them could ever have imagined. Something they awoke with their work now hunts them? something evil. Terrified, Elisa is now faced with solving the mysterious and gruesome deaths of each member of the team. The sinister force has focused its sight on her, and in order to solve the mystery and save her own life, she must discover what really happened on the remote island where her team was once sequestered. If she fails to find out the truth, and how to correct what they've unleashed, Elisa's fate will most certainly meet the same masochistic death as her colleagues.… (more)

English (9)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
Zig-Zag is one of the best SiF book I read the last years. Based on the contemporary theories of Physics the author gives the opportunity of a beyond the imagination travel to the past in the day of Jesus Crucifixion in Jerusalem or in Jurassic period watching dinosaurs. Science is the safest way to approach the truth but how far can we go? How could we avoid the misuse of scientific discoveries and not to ask ourselves as the the pilot of the Enola Game: "my God what have I done?". Where are the limits of science and morality? Looking the past is a kind of trespassing and as in the ancient tragedy it is a hubris, which causes the anger of the Gods and catharsis comes with the terrible punishment. ( )
  dimi777 | Jul 10, 2018 |
Bon livre, bien basé sur les fondements et les théories de la physique moderne. Accessile, thriller, bien aimé, mais pas livre préféré, trop dans la bulle de cette fausse science. Par contre, intrigue très bien ficelée. ( )
  csaintjacques | Jun 22, 2011 |
I'm so glad that I decided to do the A-Z Title Challenge because I never would have read this book otherwise. I never pick up thrillers when I'm browsing through books, but now I see that I should have given them a chance long ago. Of course, I can't deny that one of the things I loved about this book was the science it revolved around, specifically the String Theory, which always interested me but which I never took the time to learn about to any great depth. Zig Zag has given me a nice introduction to the physics theory, and it has convinced me to pick up a science book about it sometime soon.

Elisa-what a character! She was too perfect to seem real. A supermodel-gorgeous genius who thrives in science. This is the person I always wished I could be in my deepest and most desirous fantasies.

**Major Ending Spoiler**

I just have to give a short rant about the end. How could Ric have been so stupid?!! No one in their right mind would think that a childhood memory of almost killing your 11-year-old best friend would be "harmless and innocent"! How could he possibly have thought that? Choose a happy memory, moron! How hard would that have been? ( )
  Kayla-Marie | Apr 6, 2011 |
Spanish physicist David Blanes wants to use quantum physics and string theory to go back in time and warns his colleagues not to go back into the recent past. However, one does and things start going wrong. This was something new for me. I really did enjoy the suspense. The physics language was a bit beyond me but there wasn't so much of it that I couldn't keep up with what was going on. Not being a literary critic I thought it was written well enough to keep me going. ( )
  libraryclerk | Oct 9, 2009 |
I liked the physics discussed in the book although I thought that the primary premise was a bit contrived. ( )
  daysailor | Sep 6, 2008 |

Jose Carlos Somozaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Millon, MarianneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,595,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible