Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish

The Last Black Unicorn

by Tiffany Haddish

I'm sure if I read this on paper I would not have enjoyed it as much as I did listening to Haddish read it as an audiobook. She's not always likable, but she can be pretty damn funny at times.

She lightened up an otherwise unpleasant road trip to a funeral. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jun 1, 2019 |
Haddish has a lot of energy and channels it into her stories and anecdotes - some sad, some funny, some weird - with a very silly unicorn song at the end... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
interesting, if a bit raw for my tastes. Very honest. ( )
  bookczuk | May 18, 2019 |
The Last Black Unicorn is Tiffany Haddish’s memoir. I wanted to read it because I saw Tiffany on a talk show telling the host about how she was a former foster child. As a former foster parent myself, I was curious to learn more about her journey from foster care to successful stand-up comedian and actress.

Tiffany had a hard life. Not only did she survive a rough childhood, she endured an abusive marriage. She recounts her life with brutal honesty, even when it makes her look bad. She does temper her stories with humor but even so, I found parts hard to read, or rather listen to. She reads the audiobook herself. I found the part about her relationship with a physically and mentally disabled man uncomfortable to listen to. Not because she dated him but because when she read his dialogue, she used the “accent” f,or lack of a better word, that some mentally challenged people have when they talk. Perhaps I’m oversensitive, but I didn’t care for it.

The Last Black Unicorn is a good memoir – although I think she relies on the word “whatever” as a descriptor far too much. Tiffany has had a pretty crazy life and has worked extremely hard to get to where she is today. However, I wouldn’t say this book is laugh out loud hilarious. It has funny parts but Tiffany’s stand-up and talk show appearances are definitely funnier. Even though I had a few problems with it, I think fans of Tiffany Haddish will enjoy this book. ( )
  mcelhra | May 14, 2019 |
Tiffany Haddish is funny, charming, a great story teller, and has had an interesting life with a lot of painful things. I love reading biographies to get a perspective I normally wouldn't. ( )
  hantasmagoria | Mar 11, 2019 |

"From stand-up comedian and actress Tiffany Haddish comes The Last Black Unicorn, a hilarious, edgy, and heart-wrenching collection of autobiographical essays that will leave you laughing through tears. Tiffany Haddish grew up in one of the poorest parts of South Central Los Angeles. Her mother wound up with a debilitating brain injury after surviving a car accident. Tiffany never fit in anywhere: not in the households she rotated through in the foster care system, and certainly not the nearly all white high school she had to ride the bus an hour to attend. As an illiterate ninth grader, Tiffany did everything she could to survive. After a multitude of jobs, she finally realized that she had talent in an area she never would have suspected: comedy. Tiffany faced the 'routine' hindrances of climbing the entertainment business ladder--but had the added obstacles of sex, race, and class in her way. But she got there. She's humble, grateful, down to earth, and funny as hell. She still cleans the toilet the way she was shown by a foster mom who worked as a maid, and she still rolls her joints the way one of her foster dads taught her. Tiffany can't avoid being funny: it's just who she is. But The Last Black Unicorn is so much more than a side-splittingly hilarious collection of essays--it's a memoir of the struggles of one woman who came from nothing and nowhere. A woman who was able to achieve her dreams by reveling in her pain and awkwardness, showing the world who she really is, and inspiring others through the power of laughter"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,503,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible