The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish

The Last Black Unicorn

by Tiffany Haddish

Tiffany Haddish is funny, charming, a great story teller, and has had an interesting life with a lot of painful things. I love reading biographies to get a perspective I normally wouldn't. ( )
  hantasmagoria | Mar 11, 2019 |
Funny as hell. But, as is often the case with comedians, there's problematic stuff too.

Tiffany Haddish had me at Girls Trip -- I mean, when she stole the movie from Regina Hall (who I've loved since she played Brenda in the Scary Movie series) AND Jada (who I've been watching for decades; I rewatched Jason's Lyric on a weekly basis for months when I was 16) AND Queen Latifah (no background necessary, right?!)... well, I knew Tiffany had "it."

So The Last Black Unicorn would've had to be terr-i-ble for me to not enjoy the experience.

Listening to the audio version is for sure the way to "read" this book. Be warned: it's raunchy; it's nasty; yes, it's even offensive. But it's hilarious, heartbreaking, joyful, painful... and did I mention hilarious?!
  flying_monkeys | Feb 21, 2019 |
I just finished The Last Black Unicorn. If you look up the definition of extrovert and optimist in the dictionary, Tiffany Haddish must be there. It seemed like her early childhood was fine though they were somewhat short of money because her father deserted the family when she was 3. Then her mother had a terrible car accident which left her brain damaged. She is later diagnosed with schizophrenia, but it seems that she has a TBI that has altered her personality leaving her violent, especially toward Tiffany. Eventually, the children are taken from her mother and put into foster care. They end up with their grandmother but only as foster children so she can get paid for caring for them. When Tiffany turned 18 and the foster money stopped, grandma kicked her out. Then there's bullying; terrible, jealous and user boyfriends; an even more terrible husband; and comedians and promoters who insist she has to put out if she wants a comedy job. This could be a very depressing book, but Haddish is irrepressibly funny. She makes much of her life, except the abuse, sound hilarious. Comedians usually have dark inner lives, and Haddish probably does, but she is such an extrovert and so determined to make her life fun that she just plows through and brings joy to everyone who sees her. She reminds me of Richard Pryor by exposing the deepest, most hurtful parts of her life and using them in her comedy. Her star is rising. I hope it continues to do so. Oh, two things that are especially wonderful about the book. She is the first woman I have read who describes her abortion in a joyful way. It's about time someone did this. None of that "Oh, it was the hardest decision of my life, but I'm glad I did it." Nope, she was happy because she was free. She knew she wasn't ready to be a mother and, as she has done in all areas of her life, she solved the problem. The second delicious morsel is that she says she didn't put out to get ahead, (though she has had lots and lots of sex, it wasn't as a bargaining chip) and the women who did, aren't in comedy anymore. Nice to know, and nice to tell those coming up behind her. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Dec 29, 2018 |
Before this book came into my life I had never known who Tiffany Haddish was. Yes, I am living under a rock. I recalled the author’s name being slightly familiar but I didn’t know why. Oh and I also thought this was going to be some contemporary novel I really don’t know why.

Tiffany Haddish is a hilarious black Jewish comedienne. She made me laugh at the death of an old guy at a bar mitzvah, the sex life of a guy with a handicap, her abusive marriage; who does that? It also really helped that I decided to check out the audiobook from my library. She’s got great storytelling skills. Some people need someone else to read their story because of they don’t have that gift but she definitely had it handled.

I didn’t know that I could laugh at some crude humor but she just managed to bring that out of me. Highly recommended. ( )
  Jessika.C | Oct 16, 2018 |

"From stand-up comedian and actress Tiffany Haddish comes The Last Black Unicorn, a hilarious, edgy, and heart-wrenching collection of autobiographical essays that will leave you laughing through tears. Tiffany Haddish grew up in one of the poorest parts of South Central Los Angeles. Her mother wound up with a debilitating brain injury after surviving a car accident. Tiffany never fit in anywhere: not in the households she rotated through in the foster care system, and certainly not the nearly all white high school she had to ride the bus an hour to attend. As an illiterate ninth grader, Tiffany did everything she could to survive. After a multitude of jobs, she finally realized that she had talent in an area she never would have suspected: comedy. Tiffany faced the 'routine' hindrances of climbing the entertainment business ladder--but had the added obstacles of sex, race, and class in her way. But she got there. She's humble, grateful, down to earth, and funny as hell. She still cleans the toilet the way she was shown by a foster mom who worked as a maid, and she still rolls her joints the way one of her foster dads taught her. Tiffany can't avoid being funny: it's just who she is. But The Last Black Unicorn is so much more than a side-splittingly hilarious collection of essays--it's a memoir of the struggles of one woman who came from nothing and nowhere. A woman who was able to achieve her dreams by reveling in her pain and awkwardness, showing the world who she really is, and inspiring others through the power of laughter"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,510,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible