dismiss

Being Black: Zen and the Art of Living with Fearlessness and Grace

by Angel Kyodo Williams

A down-to-earth spiritual handbook for all black people searching for true self-acceptance, and lasting personal happiness. Eloquent and elegant, this is a unique, practical work that combines the universal wisdom of Buddhism with an inspirational call for self-acceptance and community empowerment. Personal stories, straightforward language, and simple guidelines invite readers from all faiths to step into the freedom of a life lived with grace, fearlessness and fluidity.… (more)

It started off as being really approachable and relatable. Unfortunately it didn't quite stay that way. I had this book on my list to read for quite awhile and had meant to complete it for Black History Month. Unfortunately maybe other people had the same thought and I didn't get the book until afterwards. No matter, no reason to not to read it.

Although I'm no expert in Zen or being black and often have a hard time with any kind of spiritual/religious/meditation text I thought I'd give this a shot. Initially I found the book really approachable as Williams talks about discovering Zen, her background and how it relates. While I didn't always understand her experience, I still found it to be a great "gateway" to better understand the concepts she was explaining.

After Part I or so, though, I ran into the same trouble I typically have. I find it tough to read books about Zen/meditation/etc. because they often become (or stay) unapproachable for me. They get too New Age-y, too much "woo" for lack of a better term. I would say the author did a pretty good job in staying away from that, but like another review on Goodreads I also wished we had more real life examples to go on. This, however, really may be just as me the reader rather than the text.

Still, I don't regret reading it at all. It was interesting and definitely a viewpoint I'm not sure I've ever read before, which is something I really appreciated. It was a good library book borrow. May be worth thumbing through at the bookstore or library before you decide to purchase. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
I read this when I am struggling with my pratice. I also want to note this is one of the rare books written by someone who went from practioner to teacher. ( )
  seki | Oct 25, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,598,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible