My Year of Rest and Relaxation (2018)

by Ottessa Moshfegh

It's early 2000 on New York City's Upper East Side, and the alienation of Moshfegh's unnamed young protagonist from others is nearly complete when she initiates her yearlong siesta, during which time she experiences limited personal interactions. Her parents have died; her relationships with her bulimic best friend Reva, an ex-boyfriend, and her drug-pushing psychiatrist are unwholesome. As her pill-popping intensifies, so does her isolation and determination to leave behind the world's travails. She is also beset by dangerous blackouts induced by a powerful medication.… (more)
    The New Me by Halle Butler (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels share razor-sharp writing, a deeply unsympathetic protagonist and an eye for the less savory parts of daily existence.

English (65)  Piratical (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (69)
man...... i just don’t know

i think i enjoyed it? i’m also not totally sure i got it ( )
  beethovensfruit | Aug 21, 2021 |
Bellissimo!
Sagace, intelligente, profondo, originale, scorrevole, moderno, affascinante, geniale... insomma LEGGETELO! ( )
  Ecate | Aug 18, 2021 |
My Year of Rest and Relaxation is right up my alley and offers a lot of what I look for in contemporary literary fiction. It's got tragic themes in the same vein as Play It as It Lays and The Bell Jar, the general misanthropy and societal disdain of The Catcher in the Rye and American Psycho, and depicts a snapshot of New York life immediately before everything changed. Yes it's vulgar, yes it's a bit predictable, but it still manages to be relatable and satisfying. I think I like Moshfegh. ( )
  rhodehouse | Aug 17, 2021 |
female American Psycho to the point that it has to be intentional. rich, disaffected, benzo-addicted youth obsessed with videotapes. they even go to the same nightclub, tunnel.

we’re supposed to think she’s gonna get stuffed, right? there's all this false foreshadowing. then a Ghost World ending where the protagonist comes out of a sarcastic haze to admire her friend making an effort at life -- "beautiful."

the book is mushy for nihilistic filth.

Having a trash chute was one of my favorite things about my building. It made me feel important, like I was participating in the world. My trash mixed with the trash of others. The things I touched touched things other people had touched. I was contributing. I was connecting.

3 stars ( )
  fate2fade | Aug 5, 2021 |
With the help of what may be the worst psychiatrist in New York City, a nameless narrator in her 20s decides to sleep away the year. Which she does, to blackly comic results. It's weird and misanthropic, though not as intense as Eileen, and not that much happens--and yet the narrator's basic awfulness is somehow compelling.

(Small note: the copy editors were asleep. I caught spelling errors and completely contradictory information on the narrator's age in multiple places.) ( )
  arosoff | Jul 11, 2021 |
"A beautiful 24-year-old gallery assistant wants nothing more than to sleep — not for a rejuvenating eight hours, but 'full-time,' like a hibernating bear or an aspiring narcoleptic. Her goal is to sleep, not perchance to dream, but to 'drown out my thoughts and judgments, since the constant barrage made it hard not to hate everyone and everything.'"

Ottessa Moshfeghprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baude, ClémentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biekmann, LidwienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dahl, AlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guerzoni, GioiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stheeman, TjadineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you're smart or rich or lucky
Maybe you'll beat the laws of man
But the inner laws of spirit
And the outer laws of nature
No man can
No, no man can . . .
"The Wolf that Lives in Lindsey," Joni Mitchell
For Luke. My one. My only.
Whenever I woke up, night or day, I'd shuffle through the bright marble foyer of my building and go up the block and around the corner where there was a bodega that never closed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,293,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible