Yoga and the Quest for the True Self

by Stephen Cope

More than 100,000 copies sold! Millions of Americans know yoga as a superb form of exercise and as a potent source of calm in our stress-filled lives. Far fewer are aware of the full promise of yoga as a 4,000-year-old practical path of liberation--a path that fits the needs of modern Western seekers with startling precision. Now Stephen Cope, a Western-trained psychotherapist who has lived and taught for more than ten years at the largest yoga center in America, offers this marvelously lively and irreverent "pilgrim's progress" for today's world. He demystifies the philosophy, psychology, and practice of yoga, and shows how it applies to our most human dilemmas: from loss, disappointment, and addiction, to the eternal conflicts around sex and relationship. And he shows us that in yoga, "liberation" does not require us to leave our everyday lives for some transcendent spiritual plane--life itself is the path. Above all, Cope shows how yoga can heal the suffering of self-estrangement that pervades our society, leading us to a new sense of purpose and to a deeper, more satisfying life in the world.… (more)

Published in the mid 1990s after spending over a decade as a yogi at the Kripalu Center in Massachusettes, Cope sets out to write an ambitious text about his journey. I found his own story the most interesting, but unfortunately, there's too much other stuff going on to call this a true memoir. There' a lot here for serious students of yoga, of the Kripalu Center, of yoga's history both in the East and in the West, of it's relationship with Jung, let's say. But, ultimately, left this yogi waiting to exhale.
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
Yoga, Spiritual ( )
  CynthiaScott | May 25, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,157,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible