Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Book of Essie: A novel by Meghan MacLean…

The Book of Essie: A novel (2018)

by Meghan MacLean Weir

Excellent Book - I enjoyed reading Essie's story very much. I liked the characters and although it was a predictable story I liked it a lot. ( )
  debbiebellows | Jun 1, 2019 |
The last four pages cost this novel 2 stars, because the author explicitly inserted her agenda. It felt Ike she didn’t trust me as a reader to figure it out. I agree with the points that she was trying to make, but the beauty of fiction is that, when it is done well, the story shares the message. ( )
  kristenl | Apr 18, 2019 |
Timely topic, but I'm conflicted by the rosy ending. ( )
  ParadisePorch | Jan 15, 2019 |
I loved this debut novel. It was so beautifully written. I was so invested in the characters. This book made me feel all the things.

I felt for Essie and Roarke. All we want to do is be ourselves. Have the opportunity to grow up at our own pace. Not have things we can't help in life bring us into adulthood faster than we want.

I didn't want to put this book down. I am reading this book for a buddy read and I am supposed to stop at page 160 but I just couldn't. I had to finish it. I had to find out just how this ended. Don't worry I won't spoil it for everyone.

Pick up this book. It does tackle some pretty heavy topics but Weir does it in such a way that you aren't so creeped out that you can't finish the book. ( )
  SweetHoneyandBrei | Jan 3, 2019 |
Essie is the youngest child on a reality television show featuring her family's religious life. When Essie realizes that she is pregnant, she manipulates her mother into arranging a marriage to a gay boy from her high school that she barely knows. Everything Essie does, including contacting her sister who ran away years ago, is to secure her freedom from her oppressive family. In order to tell her story, Essie reaches out to Liberty, a journalist with a past just as crazy as Essie's.

My biggest complaint about this book is that the author really tried to tell two stories, Essie's and Liberty's. She had them both unravel at the same pace and reveal at the same pace. The book would have been smoother and more impactful if Liberty's story was told upfront and the book focused on Essie. If this is the Book of Essie, the author should have focused more on her. Overall, I think this book will capture the imagination of teenagers, who will love the reality television aspects. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Dec 6, 2018 |
For my family
On the day I turn seventeen, there is a meeting to decide whether I should have the baby or if sneaking me to a clinic for an abortion is worth the PR risk.

Esther Ann Hicks--Essie--is the youngest child on Six for Hicks, a reality television phenomenon. She's grown up in the spotlight, both idolized and despised for her family's fire-and-brimstone brand of faith. When Essie's mother, Celia, discovers that Essie is pregnant, she arranges an emergency meeting with the show's producers: Do they sneak Essie out of the country for an abortion? Do they pass the child off as Celia's? Or do they try to arrange a marriage--and a ratings-blockbuster wedding? Meanwhile, Essie is quietly pairing herself up with Roarke Richards, a senior at her school with a secret of his own to protect. As the newly formed couple attempt to sell their fabricated love story to the media--through exclusive interviews with an infamously conservative reporter named Liberty Bell--Essie finds she has questions of her own: What was the real reason for her older sister leaving home? Who can she trust with the truth about her family? And how much is she willing to sacrifice to win her own freedom?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,512,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible