The Kiss Quotient

by Helen Hoang

Series: The Kiss Quotient (1)

From the author of The Bride Test comes a romance novel hailed as one of The Washington Post's 50 Notable Works of Fiction in 2018 and one of Amazon's Top 100 Books of 2018! "This is such a fun read and it's also quite original and sexy and sensitive."--Roxane Gay, New York Times bestselling author "Hoang's writing bursts from the page."--Buzzfeed A heartwarming and refreshing debut novel that proves one thing: there's not enough data in the world to predict what will make your heart tick. Stella Lane thinks math is the only thing that unites the universe. She comes up with algorithms to predict customer purchases--a job that has given her more money than she knows what to do with, and way less experience in the dating department than the average thirty-year-old. It doesn't help that Stella has Asperger's and French kissing reminds her of a shark getting its teeth cleaned by pilot fish. Her conclusion: she needs lots of practice--with a professional. Which is why she hires escort Michael Phan. The Vietnamese and Swedish stunner can't afford to turn down Stella's offer, and agrees to help her check off all the boxes on her lesson plan--from foreplay to more-than-missionary position... Before long, Stella not only learns to appreciate his kisses, but crave all of the other things he's making her feel. Their no-nonsense partnership starts making a strange kind of sense. And the pattern that emerges will convince Stella that love is the best kind of logic...… (more)

Math and numbers have always made sense to Stella Lane, but social interactions especially with men have been difficult until one of her coworkers suggests that maybe she just needs to practice. Stella takes his idea to heart and researches several male escorts before settling on Michael Phan. Michael doesn't expect his "Hot for Teacher" fantasy to work in reverse, but he is charmed by Stella's lesson plans and proposal that they work together for three weeks. Michael doesn't usually take on repeat clients, but there is something about Stella that makes him want to help her. When they begin spending more and more time together and the original three weeks has come and gone, Michael starts to wonder if he will be able to let Stella go, but there are things in his family and in his past that make Michael wonder if he will ever be good enough for her.

The Kiss Quotient is a cute "Pretty Woman" in reverse romance that deals with real issues under the surface. Stella is autistic and her insecurities and desire to fit in are presented first hand. Michael has insecurities of his own dealing with a past that includes an estranged but famous con man for a father and a mother who is dying of cancer. The only real problem I have with the story is how easily Michael's past as a male escort is forgotten, but otherwise, this is an engaging romance with likable characters and unique perspectives. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
I am so happy that a story about a person with Autism was written by (*GASP*) a person with Autism. Representation matters, and the author is a talented writer. However, it's also important to remember that the Autism spectrum is just that- a spectrum. I don't think this author intended to describe the experience of every person with Autism, so the audience should bear that in mind.

With that caveat, I enjoyed several aspects of the main character. Often, people with Autism are often portrayed as savants. While many of the people I have met with Autism are very intelligent, savants make up a very small portion of the population, so I feel like its misleading how often this subset is portrayed in the media. However, the main character in this book is intelligent and successful, but much of her success is attributed to her passion and intelligence, not savant abilities. I also loved that there was such a positive portrayal of a person with Autism. The main character is compassionate and likable, like so many people with Autism are. She was a complex character with virtues as well as foibles, and I was rooting for her the whole book. I also loved that her love story is with a neurotypical individual, instead of pairing her off with someone with Autism. I feel like that's the default in some stories about Autism. Also, her discussions of how and when to share a diagnosis brought me to tears- as a family member of a person with Autism, I can say that those decisions are not clear cut, and our world needs to work to be more sensitive and appreciative of differences.

That being said, several things did not resonate with me about this book. There is a lot of sex in this book with a LOT of details. It's a personal preference, but I prefer to leave some of those details to the imagination, so if you're not into that, I would say this book isn't for you. Also, the whole Pretty Woman escort with a heart of gold was a little far-fetched at times for me. However, overall, the book was really good. ( )
  katethegreat44 | Sep 21, 2021 |
I liked the voice of Stella - it was fresh and interesting. Very much a romance novel, though the characters had depth. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Sep 9, 2021 |
I loved this book. And I was fascinated with how similar Stella is to me! (hoping I don't have autism, lol)

I loved the main heroes so much that after finishing the book I immediately got to looking for the next book in this series. Unfortunately, it's not about them.

It was interesting to learn more about the lives of people who suffer from Asperger's syndrome, especially considering that the author herself is autistic, thus knows a lot about living with it.

Some readers complain about numerous cliches in the novel. Yes, some things were quite predictable, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying this book a lot. ( )
  Diana_Hryniuk | Aug 28, 2021 |
I read this maybe a year ago but see that I haven't entered it, but it was memorable! I have no problem recalling the plot and the characters and how sweet it was - which is a big tick in its favour. ( )
  Okies | Aug 23, 2021 |

Helen Hoangprimary authorall editionscalculated
Robins, CarlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Dedicated to my family.

Chi 2, Chi 3, Chi 4, Anh 5, and 7,
for being my safe place.

for loving me, labels, quirks,
obsessions, and all.

for letting your mama write.
You are the best thing I have.
"I know you hate surprises, Stella. In the interests of communicating our expectations and providing you a reasonable timeline, you should know we're ready for grandchildren."

Before long, Stella not only learns to appreciate his kisses, but crave all of the other things he's making her feel. Their no-nonsense partnership starts making a strange kind of sense. And the pattern that emerges will convince Stella that love is the best kind of love. Amazon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,140,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible