Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us… (2018)

by Michael Pollan

"A brilliant and brave investigation by Michael Pollan, author of five New York Times best sellers, into the medical and scientific revolution taking place around psychedelic drugs--and the spellbinding story of his own life-changing psychedelic experiences When Michael Pollan set out to research how LSD and psilocybin (the active ingredient in magic mushrooms) are being used to provide relief to people suffering from difficult-to-treat conditions such as depression, addiction and anxiety, he did not intend to write what is undoubtedly his most personal book. But upon discovering how these remarkable substances are improving the lives not only of the mentally ill but also of healthy people coming to grips with the challenges of everyday life, he decided to explore the landscape of the mind in the first person as well as the third. Thus began a singular adventure into the experience of various altered states of consciousness, along with a dive deep into both the latest brain science and the thriving underground community of psychedelic therapists. Pollan sifts the historical record to separate the truth about these mysterious drugs from the myths that have surrounded them since the 1960s, when a handful of psychedelic evangelists catalyzed a powerful backlash against what was then a promising field of research. A unique and elegant blend of science, memoir, travel writing, history, and medicine, How to Change Your Mind is a triumph of participatory journalism. By turns dazzling and edifying, it is the gripping account of a journey to an exciting and unexpected new frontier in our understanding of the mind, the self, and our place in the world. The true subject of Pollan's "mental travelogue" is not just psychedelic drugs but also the eternal puzzle of human consciousness and how, in a world that offers us both struggle and beauty, we can do our best to be fully present and find meaning in our lives"--… (more)

English (40)  Dutch (1)  All languages (41)
After reading this detailed, intelligent, and eminently reasonable in-depth exploration of the history and possible future of psychedelic substances in Western society, it seems incredible to imagine that the situation might not change, and that the experiences that come to those who are willing to work with psilocybin, LSD, and similar "entheogens" will stay out of reach to most. Pollan, after all, is a respected member of the American meritocracy, and his enthusiasm should carry a lot of weight. It's impressive to see what can happen when the subject is investigated with commitment, honesty, and courage: with what one blurber calls Pollan's "innocence and integrity."

Pollan covers it all here: the early promise of psychedelics during the 1950s, when mainstream figures including Cary Grant and Clare Booth Luce openly discussed their experiences with LSD and when clinical trials hinted at tremendous therapeutic potential, to the 1960s, Leary, and criminalization, to the 1970s and beyond, with the "War on Drugs" and virtually complete suppression of research. He profiles not just the big names of psychedelic history, but lesser-known figures who made major contributions both above and underground. And, despite an openly acknowledged fear of losing his mind, he investigates psilocybin, LSD, and DMT himself and reports, as well as he can, where they took him.

There are dangers associated with these substances, and Pollan doesn't minimize them. But the dangers—and the benefits—have often been misrepresented and misunderstood, and Pollan does a good job of reporting this, too. How to Change Your Mind is written for people of intelligence and seriousness, like him, and in particular to (as I can't help but believe) policymakers and thought leaders. I hope everyone listens. ( )
  john.cooper | Nov 26, 2021 |
Also, suprisingly good. ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
Smart, well-researched, interesting book on the topic. ( )
  wordloversf | Aug 14, 2021 |
"The only thing to fear is fear itself" Carpe Diem ( )
  mortalfool | Jul 10, 2021 |
Quite frankly, I found this kind of boring. I read Ayelet Waldman's [b: A Really Good Day|30212082|A Really Good Day How Microdosing Made a Mega Difference in My Mood, My Marriage, and My Life|Ayelet Waldman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1471284232s/30212082.jpg|50666248] last year, and so had a bit of this information already. But also, I liked Waldman's personal experience about microdosing, specifically, since I'm intrigued by alternative treatments to mental health; there are chapters here about how psychedelics can treat depression and enhance one's coping capabilities when dealing with death, but they felt flat compared to Waldman's discussion. Furthermore, a bit too much time was spent on Pollan describing his trips, and well, a bunch of people have already written about their trips extensively...and unless you're in it, it's kind of boring. Ah well, onward and upward. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
PROLOGUE: A New Door
MIDWAY THROUGH the twentieth century, two unusual new molecules, organic compounds with a striking family resemblance, exploded upon the West. In time, they would change the course of social, political, and cultural history, as well as the personal histories of the millions of people who would eventually introduce them to their brains.

Nella consistente letteratura generata dalla sua scoperta a oggi, l'LSD è sempre stato presentato come una via d'accesso privilegiata - e niente affatto spiacevole - a dimensioni della coscienza che generalmente ci sono precluse. Negli ultimi anni, tuttavia, la ricerca scientifica più avanzata lavora su virtù molto diverse degli «acidi», a cominciare dalla loro efficacia contro patologie infide quali le dipendenze, l'emicrania, le fasi acute della depressione. È una materia densa e al tempo stesso scivolosa, nella quale solo Michael poteva addentrarsi, affidandosi alla leggerezza, alla precisione e all'ironia della sua scrittura. Ne è venuto fuori questo personalissimo incrocio fra un diario di viaggio e la cronaca di un lungo esperimento, dove Pollan incontra una serie di uomini e donne straordinari - guru veri o presunti, scienziati serissimi, medici di frontiera -, e poi decide di provare in prima persona che cosa intendessero i profeti del lisergico per «toccare dio». Scoprendo la luce strana, violenta e terribilmente fascinosa che la sostanza più stupefacente di tutte sembra gettare sul mistero definitivo, quello che tuttora resiste nelle nostre, spesso affannose, ricerche: la mente.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,331,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible