The Rights of the Reader (1992)

by Daniel Pennac

"Anyone who loves to read and wants our young people to develop a similar passion will savor" Better than Life "- an enchanting, beautifully written, and wise book."--Regie Routman An essential guide to helping children discover the pleasures of reading! In "Better than Life," Daniel Pennac shares the secrets that all book lovers treasure. Delving into his experiences as a parent, a writer and a teacher, he asks, how does the love of reading begin? How is it lost? And how can it be regained? This remarkable book explores simple ways to create a life-long devotion to reading: how reading aloud can ensure that a love of books beginswhy it is important that children develop a private relationship with bookswhat "The Reader's Bill of Rights" can do to guarantee children value reading This book reads like a novel with gripping anecdotes from literature and fresh insights into creating and nurturing enthusiastic readers.… (more)

English (27)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (43)
I needed this book. Personally, I still like reading but I don't make as much time for it as I would like. This book reminded me that it's OK TO LOVE TO READ, even when life goes crazy and there are a million distractions vying for your attention. And it also reminded me that reading to my 8-year-old son is for the fun, not for the education. Impossible to say how grateful I am for bringing that link back to my life. ( )
  6loss | Nov 7, 2019 |
da leggere! :D ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
In certi momenti mi verrebbe voglia di fare la rivoluzione, se fossi un insegnante vero! ma io e peraltro solo per un breve tragitto, sono solo un insegnante per il sostegno, ma a leggere una fiaba si prova la stessa felicità. ( )
  Ste1955 | Apr 24, 2019 |
All done. Delightful.

I was a bit disappointed that after all the sensible advice, Pennac decides to finish by saying that the difference between good and bad books is that good books are original and try to tell the truth while bad books are cliched and are reproducing a reality that doesn't exist (What about fantasy? What about the fact that all novels if taken literally reproduce a reality that does not exist?) Also, for him it's perfectly alright to judge all Harlequins to be of bad quality (I have never read one but I insist on every book getting their own test. Erotica can be great literature, dude.)

I like his ideas on the power of reading aloud but I don't see why he needs to denigrate silent reading (even as he claims it to be a right, he makes it clear he finds it quite "flat"). Now, I adore savouring the words by reading aloud but there is a different power in reading quietly (not to mention people who cannot hear can still read with great enjoyment.) ( )
  askajnaiman | Jun 14, 2016 |
Great work!
added by ChloeMica | editShirley

Pennac, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ardizzone, SarahTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Melaouah, YasminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On est prié (je vous supplie) de ne pas utiliser ces pages comme instrument de torture pédagogique.
D.P.
Pour Franklin Rist,
grand lecteur de romans et romanesque lecteur.
A la mémoire de mon père,
et dans le souvenir quotidien de Frank Vlieghe.
I

NAISSANCE DE L'ALCHIMISTE

Le verbe lire ne supporte pas l'impératif. Aversion qu'il partage avec quelques autres le verbe « aimer ». le verbe « rêver ».
[...]

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,662,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible