Discipline & Punish: The Birth of the Prison (1975)

by Michel Foucault

In this brilliant work, the most influential philosopher since Sartre suggests that such vaunted reforms as the abolition of torture and the emergence of the modern penitentiary have merely shifted the focus of punishment from the prisoner's body to his soul.
    Mord, Geständnis, Widerruf : Verhören und Verhörtwerden um 1800 by Michael Niehaus (Christof.Capellaro)
    Christof.Capellaro: Stellt an einem konkreten Einzelfall dar, was Foucault im großen Ganzen untersucht. (Wandel der Verfolgung von Delinquenz Ende des 18./Anfang des 19. Jahrhunderts).
    The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes (thorold)
    thorold: Two contrasting views of the birth of the prison system in the 19th century

English (23)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Korean (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (33)
I must say that "Discipline and Punish" is a difficult book to review. It is excellent, and it is deep. The book starts with the description of a prisoner being tortured and killed. The final stages of the torture, and the execution used to take place in the public sphere.

We may be squeamish today, but we cannot state that torture has disappeared from the world. It has just disappeared from the public eye.

From there, he moves on to the concept of punishment, and the various theories that prevailed. And, of course, the practices. For me, the most interesting chapters were those that pertained to discipline, the panopticon, and delinquency.

I don't think that 'the birth of the prison' is a good subtitle. This book is much deeper than that.

It revolves around the concept of power (initially with the king), punishment, society's attitudes towards this, discipline and society; and finally, the Panopticon. This concept was centuries ahead of its time.

In many ways, society is living in a Panopticon today. ( )
  RajivC | Apr 11, 2021 |
Happy fun holiday reading...
  irrelephant | Feb 21, 2021 |
Interesting to see how penal/educational/employment systems which seem obvious now developed. Although I think this happened in a more haphazard, unplanned way than what the author proposes. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
I think my issue with this book—as with so many books of theory and philosophy—is that I don't really feel like I've gained more knowledge having read it than I already possessed due to reading excerpts and other people's discussion of the points raised herein. I think Foucault has some very good things to say about discipline and surveillance, but that these things are obscured by his rather rambling style.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I thought I was interested in the history of punishment & imprisonment, but I wasn't.

According to Foucault, this is actually the history of conformism and, as the subject turned to that, I became more interested... but really, no.

This book would be great for anyone GENUINELY interested in punishment & imprisonment & conformity. ( )
  GirlMeetsTractor | Mar 22, 2020 |
Whatever the disagreements, "Discipline and Punish" is that rare kind of book whose methods and conclusions must be reckoned with by humanists, social scientists and political activists.

Michel Foucaultprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blumbergs, IlmārsCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geile-Sīpolniece, IntaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelikán, ČestmírTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheridan, AlanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Information from the Latvian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,501,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible