dismiss

Discipline & Punish: The Birth of the Prison (1975)

by Michel Foucault

In this brilliant work, the most influential philosopher since Sartre suggests that such vaunted reforms as the abolition of torture and the emergence of the modern penitentiary have merely shifted the focus of punishment from the prisoner's body to his soul.
    Mord, Geständnis, Widerruf : Verhören und Verhörtwerden um 1800 by Michael Niehaus (Christof.Capellaro)
    Christof.Capellaro: Stellt an einem konkreten Einzelfall dar, was Foucault im großen Ganzen untersucht. (Wandel der Verfolgung von Delinquenz Ende des 18./Anfang des 19. Jahrhunderts).
    The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes (thorold)
    thorold: Two contrasting views of the birth of the prison system in the 19th century

English (20)  Spanish (1)  Korean (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (28)
I think my issue with this book—as with so many books of theory and philosophy—is that I don't really feel like I've gained more knowledge having read it than I already possessed due to reading excerpts and other people's discussion of the points raised herein. I think Foucault has some very good things to say about discipline and surveillance, but that these things are obscured by his rather rambling style. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I thought I was interested in the history of punishment & imprisonment, but I wasn't.

According to Foucault, this is actually the history of conformism and, as the subject turned to that, I became more interested... but really, no.

This book would be great for anyone GENUINELY interested in punishment & imprisonment & conformity. ( )
  GirlMeetsTractor | Mar 22, 2020 |
Absolutely a necessary read, and so, so good. Foucault is I think really clear in this book, and makes his points about normalization and carcerality so, so well. I was left with a lot of questions, in a really generative way, and I definitely want to push out and read more. I'd say if you're looking to get started with Foucault, start here, because it's so foundational to so much more and is honestly still incredibly relevant for thinking through power and knowledge. ( )
  aijmiller | Feb 5, 2020 |
My first intro to Foucault. I was surprised how accessible this work is considering the mystique behind Foucault. Philosophically, Foucault describes the world we live in from the perspective of power and control. Rather than ask why prisons are such a failure, he asks what their dysfunction accomplishes (as well as who benefits).

There is peace in understanding Foucault even though his outlook can be depressing. ( )
  ryanone | Jan 3, 2018 |
Placeholder
  Inst | Sep 3, 2017 |
Whatever the disagreements, "Discipline and Punish" is that rare kind of book whose methods and conclusions must be reckoned with by humanists, social scientists and political activists.

Michel Foucaultprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blumbergs, IlmārsCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geile-Sīpolniece, IntaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelikán, ČestmírTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sheridan, AlanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Information from the Latvian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,067,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible