Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman

Something in the Water (2018)

by Catherine Steadman

Recently added byRUTHKOLOCKR, valcam, private library, Amy_Harrell, rena75, kathdob

The book begins well, continues very well and ends with a surprise of severe logical failure.

In the first episode, the heroine tells us about digging a grave. Although the short length of the chapter, six and a half pages, still it is incredibly fascinating and evidently an unusual writing talent.

Then we get to know Erin, the creator of a documentary film about three prisoners do to be released. Mark Her husband is an investment banker who loses his job.
They go on a honeymoon on the island of Bora Bora in French Polynesia, a luxury resort. After a few pleasant days, a harsh storm passes over the island, and during a dive, they encounter something in the water.

That something is a big travel bag. And what's in it? Well, it takes some time to open the case so you'll need to be patient about it.

Of course, from the moment it opens, a Pandora's box opens as well, and plenty of trouble arises.

In some of the moves, they are conducted with criminal intelligence and some of them like nerds who knew no sense of sin.
But the finale is a bit jarring. Not because it's not surprising. It is. But when you think a bit more critically, you find that the solution lies in a severe logical failure - the moves aren't suitable for those planning a grave crime. ( )
  RUTHKOLOCKR | Mar 25, 2019 |
A thrilling book, sweeping and shaking. The plot set from the point of view and thoughts of one of two heroes. ( )
  Lithamerrsmith | Mar 11, 2019 |
In opening pages of the novel we meet Erin digging a grave. By the end of Chapter 1 we know who the grave is for, and then in the rest of the novel we find out what led up to this.

Erin is a documentary film maker tracking the lives of 3 very different people as they finish their jail sentences and leave jail. The first one, Holli, she finds "creepy", but she gets close to the other two Alexa and Eddie for very different reasons.

Just before Erin and Mark get married Mark loses his job as an investment banker. They make changes to their wedding plans, cutting costs where they can, and cut their honeymoon on Bora Bora to 2 weeks. But both have become used to an expensive life style and this determines how they will react to what they find in the water when they are scuba diving.

Neither is entirely truthful to the other and each keeps things back, so there are some surprises towards the end of the novel. I felt both characters changed as the novel developed, and I thought there was an element of "what else can I throw at them?" in the final plot. ( )
  smik | Mar 9, 2019 |
The plot for this book is quite interesting and while the writing wasn't notably strong, it was definitely sufficient for the story. Unfortunately, I think the author really missed her swing with the characters. Had this been a satire, it would have been phenomenal. Had the characters been less of a caricature, that also would have worked well. But I found myself rooting against the main characters because they were such awful people, while I think the author meant for readers to root for them. That's a confusing and frustrating position to be in as a reader and it affected my enjoyment of the book.

(And now, a secret message for my fellow POC readers: This novel's plot is all about Rich White People Nonsense so if that's not your thing, feel free to skip this. If you're worried about missing out, read the business card bit in American Psycho instead and you'll have gotten the [better-written] gist of this novel.) ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
"Something in the Water" is a psychological thriller built in successive layers. It is difficult to remove the book and stop reading.
I loved the dialogues Erin had with herself at certain times. it is well written and the unique writing manages to bring the reader into human struggles. ( )
  mazalbracha | Mar 4, 2019 |

"Erin is a documentary filmmaker on the brink of a professional breakthrough, Mark a handsome investment banker with big plans. Passionately in love, they embark on a dream honeymoon to the tropical island of Bora Bora, where they enjoy the sun, the sand, and each other. Then, while scuba diving in the crystal blue sea, they find something in the water. Suddenly the newlyweds must make a dangerous choice: to speak out or to protect their secret. After all, if no one else knows, who would be hurt? Their decision will trigger a devastating chain of events"--Amazon.com.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Catherine Steadman's book Something in the Water is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,517,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible