dismiss

Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman

Something in the Water (2018)

by Catherine Steadman

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * A shocking discovery on a honeymoon in paradise changes the lives of a picture-perfect couple in this taut psychological thriller debut--for readers of Ruth Ware, Paula Hawkins, and Shari Lapena. "A psychological thriller that captivated me from page one. What unfolds makes for a wild, page-turning ride! It's the perfect beach read!"--Reese Witherspoon (Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine book pick) If you could make one simple choice that would change your life forever, would you?   Erin is a documentary filmmaker on the brink of a professional breakthrough, Mark a handsome investment banker with big plans. Passionately in love, they embark on a dream honeymoon to the tropical island of Bora Bora, where they enjoy the sun, the sand, and each other. Then, while scuba diving in the crystal blue sea, they find something in the water. . . .   Could the life of your dreams be the stuff of nightmares?   Suddenly the newlyweds must make a dangerous choice: to speak out or to protect their secret. After all, if no one else knows, who would be hurt? Their decision will trigger a devastating chain of events. . . .   Have you ever wondered how long it takes to dig a grave?   Wonder no longer. Catherine Steadman's enthralling voice shines throughout this spellbinding debut novel. With piercing insight and fascinating twists, Something in the Water challenges the reader to confront the hopes we desperately cling to, the ideals we're tempted to abandon, and the perfect lies we tell ourselves. Praise for Something in the Water "Arresting . . . deftly paced, elegantly chilly . . . [Catherine] Steadman brings . . . wit, timing and intelligence to this novel. . . . Something in the Water is a proper page-turner."--The New York Times "With unreliable characters, wry voices, exquisite pacing, and a twisting plot, Steadman potently draws upon her acting chops. . . . A darkly glittering gem of a thriller from a new writer to watch."--Kirkus Reviews (starred review) "Captivating . . . daring . . . The threats and increasingly bad decisions accelerate with Bourne-like velocity. . . . Steadman [is] a newcomer worth watching."--Publishers Weekly "An unbearably tense debut with a knockout premise, Something in the Water had me hooked from the very first sentence. Thrilling and thought-provoking, it's the perfect beach read. I devoured it!"--Riley Sager, bestselling author of Final Girls… (more)

English (84)  German (1)  All languages (85)
I am not sure how I feel about this book. A couple go on their honeymoon and come upon a small jet that crashed into the ocean. The find a duffle bag and everything in life changes. The characters are either stupid or conniving. I am not sure how I would have ended the story but not the way the author did. ( )
  joannemonck | Apr 28, 2020 |
3* ( )
  gumnut25 | Apr 21, 2020 |
3.5 really. It started SO SLOWLY... but then it grabbed me and I couldn't stop reading! I loved the titles on the chapters... made me unable to stop!!

BUT THEN. WHAT? This is the end? What the hell.

So props for a great, moving story... and BLAH about the ending. ( )
  nwieme | Mar 19, 2020 |
I read this book in one day, it was fantastic and I couldn't put it down. The intro definitely hooked me and I enjoyed the mystery the whole way through. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Short of It:

When I picked this one up I was thinking it would be along the lines of Jaws or The Abyss. Not a spoiler but ocean life is not a big player here.

The Rest of It:

Erin makes documentaries for a living. Mark is an investment banker and not a very good one as he’s just been fired. Erin and Mark are engaged, in love and completely stressed out because if Mark doesn’t find a job soon, they’ll lose their home.

To add insult to injury, the big, beautiful wedding they had planned had to be cancelled due to cost. They opt for a smaller celebration and cut their glorious three weeks in Bora Bora to a mere two but they still manage to get themselves into trouble when a scuba diving trip goes wrong.

These two. What a pair! You learn very early on that Erin and Mark don’t seem to posses the highest morals. They are manipulative and don’t have a problem justifying their bad decisions. When that scuba diving trip uncovers the answer to their all their troubles, they don’t hesitate at all before diving head first into a pile of trouble.

As Erin and Mark continue to justify their actions, things begin to crumble around them and they find themselves trying to cover up their tracks. When they begin to question one another, then it gets particularly good.

Something in the Water was quite readable. The tension ran high throughout most of the book and I kept flipping those pages to see how the story would end. I didn’t love the characters and some of the story lines were too convenient and not realistic at all so in the end I didn’t love it but reading it was a solid way to spend the afternoon.

For more reviews, visit my blog: Book Chatter. ( )
  tibobi | Feb 12, 2020 |
If a victory is told in detail, one can no longer distinguish it from a defeat.
—JEAN-PAUL SARTRE, Le Diable et le Bon Dieu
I'm going to smile, and my smile will sink down into your pupils, and heaven knows what it will become.

—SATRE, No Exit
For Ross
Have you ever wondered how long it takes to dig a grave?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Catherine Steadman's book Something in the Water is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,478,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible