Club Dead

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Sookie Stackhouse (3)

Gorgeous and feisty telepath Sookie Stackhouse hits the road to find her missing boyfriend, who may have run off with his former lover--a notorious vamp.

English (253)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (256)
I feel like a traitor because I just like the TV show so much better than the books. The plotting and characterization in this one just weren't all that great. Sookie is kind of a hoot, though, and Harris still really nails that "waitress in a tiny southern town" thing. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
A brisk, fun, and sexy read. It's more mystery than vampire fear. Not since the Spenser series by Robert Parker has a book drawn me into such an entertaining web of characters lead by a charismatic protagonist. ( )
  RakishaBPL | Sep 24, 2021 |
Started this and quit it. Bleh. Way too much female emotional drama for me at the start of the book. I tried to push past it hope it would get better but it got worse. Looks like I'm done with this series. ( )
  richvalle | Jul 11, 2021 |
Why did I continue with this? 1) As I said before, it works well while cleaning, hanging up clothes etc. and 2) I am really bad at just canceling books or series.

I enjoyed this book more than the one before, because Bill's not in it for the most part. That's a great improvement. When he shows up again, things get worse.

The story is still really rape-y and I cannot press this enough:

THIS IS NOT ROMANTIC BEHAVIOUR!

Please, if you have little experience with relationships and read this book, know this: NOBODY is allowed to do sexual things to you against your will and you are right to hate them afterwards, not love them. Abusing you is not a sign of love or affection, it is a warning sign that you should get out of there while you still can. You owe NOBODY affection just because they say nice things, but do bad things. Abuse is not counterbalanced by nice things.

HE RAPES HER FOR PETE'S SAKE and what she's angry about is him cheating on her with another vampire. Also, about five minutes afterwards she thinks about how she wants to hump his bones.

I don't get why Bill is supposed to be the good guy in this. He is nothing but an asshole to Sookie (see above) and when he's not, he's super possessive and it's romanticized. That's one thing this book is perfect for: As an example in self-help classes for victims of abusive relationships. No sarcasm here, I totally mean that.

Everybody is really hormonal, to the point where you get the impression that the protagonists are not adults or ancient vampires, but teenagers. Seriously, why would 2000-year old vampires act like teens? Do they evolve in reverse?

Except Pam. I like Pam. She seems to be the only normal named character.

The solution of the plot was as lazy and disappointing (or... anticlimactic) than in the book before. It was a good story with great potential, but in the end I was left thinking "Is everyone here very stupid?" From people/vampires, who are described as witty, intellligent, scheming etc., I would expect more.

I am still searching for a good urban fantasy book series with vampires, but without romanticized rape and abuse. Plus, if not every named character falls in love with the heroine, who is intelligent, except for when she isn't, because she needs to be saved. ( )
  booksandliquids | May 3, 2021 |
Notes: This is, for now, my favourite book in the series and it's not a coincidence that Bill goes missing for the most of it.
I'm quite torn about this series since, while I like the stories a lot and I'm curious about what'll happen next, I can't stand very much 2 of the major characters: Sookie & Bill. I find both of them quite annoying & their relationship just doesn't trasmit me anything...however for 2 I don't like there are some I love! First of all Eric that I liked from the start and that I find a very interesting character with his complex personality (moreover he's HOT!!!), then his two sidekicks Pam & Chow who at least have some sort of self control in front of Sookie's "charm"...cause I don't understand why all the guys fall in love/lust with her (and maybe i'm a little jelous too)! In the end i know I'll continue to read this series because I'd like to know where the story will go (hoping in some changes along the way) but it probably would never been one of my fav series in the genre even if there were the premises for being just that.
  Lara-IT | Feb 3, 2021 |

Luengo, LorenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murello, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisz BöbeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my middle child, Timothy Schulz, who told me flatly he wanted a book all to himself.
My Thanks to Lisa Weissenbuehler, Kerie I, Nickle, Marie La Dalle, and the incomparable Doris Ann Norris for their input on car trunks, great and small. My further thanks to Janet Davis, Irene, and Sonya Stocklin, also cybercitizens of DorotyL, for their information on bars, bouree ( a card game), and the parish governments of Louisiana. Joan Coffey was most gracious with supplying information about Jackson. the wonderful and obliging Jane Lee drove me patiently around Jackson for many hours, entering thoroughly into the spirit of finding the perfect location for a vampire bar.
Bill was hunched over the computer when I let myself in his house.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,179,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible