dismiss

Definitely Dead

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Sookie Stackhouse (6)

8,219173694 (3.89)193
Supernaturally gifted cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse heads for New Orleans, where she is forced to contend with her own family's dark legacy and a variety of potentially lethal characters.
    Bite by Laurell K. Hamilton (Trai)
    Trai: Contains "One Word Answer", the short-story prequel to Definitely Dead.

English (171)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (173)
not my favorite of the series, but it was quick and pretty mindless, though I felt like I was missing something. ( )
  tmbookluvr | Dec 3, 2019 |
Gah. So I spent the entire book wondering if I read them out of order because I couldn't find the numbers on the cover of the book. Turns out, we did miss stuff that happened in a vampire collection short story, that was super important to the plot. As someone who has a box set, it's really annoying that the short story wasn't included at the beginning of this book to explain it. I mean, I guess you can survive the book without reading the short, but the point is that the way its done isn't great. It was distracting. And annoying. So the whole Hadley storyline was a bust for me, except when it came to Amelia, who I actually found interesting, which is odd because I don't like any of Harris' females except for Pam.

I did, however, think that the Queen sure knows how to throw a party!

The whole Pelt family drama was over done. It was over last book, really. There wasn't any need to bring it into this one, as if it were an afterthought. It just didn't fit the plot here.

All in all, I'd have given it two stars, for confusing the crap out of me until I researched that a short story existed, (still don't know what that plot was by the way), but I really did like Sophie-Ann's party so it's a three.

Has anyone noticed my reviews of this series getting lazier and lazier? =)

EDIT: OH! and can I just say I'm not surprised by Bill's douchebaggery? ( )
  Chazlyn | Jun 30, 2019 |
Sookie has many admirers but is now dating Quinn a weretiger. She's feeling lonely, helps to save a missing child and has to go deal with her cousins things, while fending off several attacks and vampire demands. She also makes a shocking discovery. Book meanders around, wasn't sure where it was going for awhile.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Listening on audiobook.

Quinn, like Alcide, doesn't really do it for me. He's more appealing than Alcide, but I still find I have to imagine him as a hot famous basketball player to hold my attention. I'm still not into the "man's man" kind of guys. I'm stoked Sookie is going to Nawlins with Bill and the demons. I know a lot of people don't like Bill, but I like him better than any of the shifters. There's something about him.

I kinda liked the little mini-plot about the kid disappearing and Sookie saving the day. And I'm thrilled that Eric is seething mad and saying things like "she was mine and will be mine again." Anticipating good things to come.

.....

Having finished the book, I have to agree with people's assessments that it kind of felt like an interlude between major plots. My favourite things from this book were the queen (I was pleasantly surprised with her sudden back-story monologue and that her attraction to Hadley was more profound than originally thought) and Amelia. Vampire politics and intrigue were awesome too, and I was glad they finally went to New Orleans. Quinn is wearing really thin on me. He doesn't do it for me at all. I'm glad the Pelt thing is finally wrapped up.

I thought they handled the Bill revelation really well -- Sookie was suitably devastated. And I loved, loved that scene near the end where she tells him that his love isn't going to magically fix everything. It made me love Sookie just that much more.

I was, of course, disappointed there wasn't more Eric. I would totally still read the books if the only characters were Pam and Eric.

I can't tell if I'm getting more used to Harris's style, or if the books are actually getting markedly better.

I'm eagerly anticipating the summit in the next book. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
Just as good as all the others. I especially liked Sookie's relationship with Quinn. ( )
  kaylynvh | Mar 12, 2019 |

Harris, Charlaineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, Franz J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisz, BöbeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkinson, Sarahsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Obviously, this book was finished months before Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast. Since much of the plot is set in New Orleans, I struggled with whether I would leave Definitely Dead as it was, or include the catastrophe of August and September. After much thought, since Sookie's visit takes place in the early spring of the year, I decided to let the book remain as it was originally written.

My heart goes out to the people of the beautiful city of New Orleans and to all the people of the coastal areas of Mississippi, my home state. My thoughts and prayers will be with you as you rebuild your homes and your lives.
I was draped over the arm of one of the most beautiful men I'd ever seen, and he was staring into my eyes.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,122,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible